• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lee's Discount Liquor

The Big Guy

imported post

My wife and I were in Lee's Liquors at Boulder Hwy and College Ave in Henderson on the evening of Oct 11th and were confronted by a manager named Allan. I was carrying myTaurus85 on my belt as I always do. When we approached the check out I was asked by what turned out to be the manager "is that loaded?". I assured him in a friendly way that an unloaded firearm didn't have much use. He started shaking his head and fidgiting and said quote, "that feaks me out". I asked him why that was as I set my items on the counter. He told me that he is not used to seeing people carrying guns in a store and again that it "freaks him out". He told me he was from CA and had never seen that before. He then asked me not to bring it into the store again. He asked me to leave it in the car. I told him that I had been shopping in there nearly weekly since the store opened, and that I carry everywhere and that if he wanted my business this is the way he gets me. He then told me not to come in again if I was armed. I said that was fine and headed for the door leaving my items on the counter. Note that at no time did he say he was not going to sell to me that evening. Just don't come back again armed.

I tend to voice my displeasure with my money and would have simply never done business with Lee's again. In fact as an example I got mad at Sears in 1983 and have never stepped foot in a Sears store since. My wife on the other hand takes the opposite tactic. She confronts them. When she got to the car she told me she was going back in to get the managers name so she could contact Mr Lee and see what he had to say. While doing so, the manager went off on her and told her not to come back. Telling her that you can't just go into anywhere with a gun, for instance you can't just walk into a bank with a gun. She assured him that I go into Wells Fargo all the time with my gun and no one ever says anything. He told her he just didn't believe that. Guess she should have taken that as a challenge and and offerd to make a friendly Las Vegas bet with him.

My wife has contacted people within the Lee organization, another store manager and another person who just happens to have the last name "Lee", and they all assure her that it is definately not Lee's policy, that Allan hadno right totry to set store policy and that they have armed people who come in their stores regularly, and that we were welcome back anytime, open carry or not.

Asa side note, I went down the steet that evening to Sin City Liquor and walked in, had a nice chat with manager (owner?) there and he had no problem at all with the way I was dressed. To bad we have escapees from Arnolds zoo who want to come over here and tell us how to live.

timf343

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I use the Lee's Liquor on Rainbow & Oakey and have never had an issue. OC every time I've gone in for several years now.

BTW, welcome to the forum! Tell us a little about yourself.

The Big Guy

imported post

I've been reading theseposts for some time now, just never had anything to share.

I'm a small business owner in Henderson, and have been OC for some time now. Never go anywhere unarmed. The only other problem I"ve had was with trying to pay a bill in an office in downtown Henderson. I have written them, and will post my letter to them and their reply when I get it. I don't like to post things until the whole story is known. I don't think it is fair to blast someone for what an underling has done. Per my Lee's story it shows that it does not always reflect the true policy.

Lostlittlerobot

imported post

Appreciate the post. Welcome to the boards. I carry all the time into the Lee's at Flamingo and Fort Apache. I get some looks, but nobody has ever told me to leave or not carry. The last clerk at checkout I talked to started up a friendly conversation how he had just bought his Springfield XD this week and asked me how I liked mine.

And I also carry into the bank every time I go. Again, weird looks but no one has commented.

I have had people do similar things though where they'll refuse service or ask you to leave even after educating them. I've always just done what you did - get ahold of their boss and get it reversed. They should have given you a coupon or gift certificate or something if the guy was screaming at your wife. That's just uncalled for

The Big Guy

imported post

It's sad how some people attach 'evil' to an inanimate object. It's improbable that they would ever be convinced otherwise. Perhaps you've heard the old saying "don't confuse me with the facts, my minds made up".

On a previous trip to the same store, the same checkout gal that was there on the night of the incident, asked me about carrying.Had a nice chat with her. She said she got off work late at night and had thought about getting a conceal carry. I told her it wasn't needed that she could carry open. I did advise her as I do anyone that if you're going to carry, get some proper training so you don't have an accident.