• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Cruise Ship Terminal

Thundar

imported post

I know there is no language in th Code of Virginia, but is there Federal Law that prohibits OC in cruise ship terminals? I want to help someone at the Norfolk terminal.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Thundar wrote:
I know there is no language in th Code of Virginia, but is there Federal Law that prohibits OC in cruise ship terminals? I want to help someone at the Norfolk terminal.
I've never heard of such a law, but there's a ton of obscure nonsense in the Federal law...you never know. Maybe some of our lawyerly types have an answer?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thundar wrote:

I checked the Federal Law on Transportation Security http://www.tsa.gov/assets/pdf/Aviation_and_Transportation_Security_Act_ATSA_Public_Law_107_1771.pdfand could not see anything.

As terminals are private property there may be some posting, but you may have to start looking at the spot where you cross the public highway onto private property instead of at the terminal itself.

Aside from the VDOT ferries I generally stay away from boats & ships due to past experiences with the cruises I had courtesy of the USMC and USN. Can you say "Urp!"?

stay safe.

skidmark

Thundar

imported post

Skidmark,

I think, but am not sure that the Norfolk terminals are public property. That is why I asked. They are Half Mood Terminals, part of Nauticus.

They are either in Waterside Park or right next to it.

TFred

imported post

I don't know the rules or laws, but from a practical standpoint, it depends on how far into the terminal you wish to go. There is a security check point, and since all cruise lines that I know of forbid passengers from bringing firearms on board, you will certainly be stopped there at the metal detector and X-Ray machines.

Half Moon has the security set up just inside the front doors, before you do your "check-in" process with the cruise line. Depending on what kind of "help" you're talking about, it is unlikely that you would be able to stay with your person beyond just barely entering the building. Assuming you are talking about someone who is going on a cruise...

While on the cruise, there is a security check-point as you return to the ship (just inside the hatch as you walk in from the gangplank), but in Norfolk, since it's embarkation, they push the secure zone back to the front of the terminal building. There are no additional checks of your person or bags after that first point.

Now... back to your original issue, the cruise lines themselves are usually very helpful when they need to be. I cruised out of Half Moon last May, with a friend who needed to carry 5 large, heavy cases of medical supplies with him during the check-in process. We approached the pier check-in coordinator, who scratched his head for a couple minutes, then called a porter down with a wheel-chair. We loaded the chair up with all the boxes, and he was our "shadow" for the entire rest of the process all the way to the cabin.

TFred

P.S. And by the way, back when film was still king, it was my experience that the TSA folks didn't give one whim of a care about what the rules were, if you didn't do what they said, you weren't getting through their check-point. I got real angry several years ago when they insisted on x-raying my film, despite my protestations that their own rules required them to do a hand-inspection upon request.