• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MOC Food Drive event.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

MOC Food Drive event. Looking for organizers/volunteers.

Would anyone like to take charge of organizing a food donation event? The event would include participants of this forum as well as members of MOC Inc.

We would need a location where people can pull up and drop off goods, something like a cooperating food store parking lot. We could let people know as they go into the store and ask them to pick something up to donate. A weekend would be best.

We would also have to decide on what food bank we will be collecting for and work with them. We would have MOC banners as well as brochures to hand-out and of course we will be OCing.

If a couple of people want to lead this event let me know and MOC will help out with a press release and members assisting with the event.

This would be a good PR event just before Thanksgiving. Thoughts…volunteers????

Michigander

imported post

Mark Cortis and I have been talking about doing something like this after we make the movie. As in we're probably going to plan it out after we finish filming.

The idea was another joint effort between OCers and his company, as well as other area organizations, like we could ask Focus Hope, or Gleaners. Maybe Forgotten Harvest. His church could perhaps also be brought into it if they wanted. (Mark is after all a Pastor, and is into this stuff too)

Way early in the cold months of this year we had a meeting to brain storm ways we could do OC activities. What we discussed for canned food drives, as I recall, was having custom printed bags made so they could be dropped off, telling people very briefly who we are, and asking those who could afford to to put canned food in the bag the next weekend, so we could pick it up. That's the way I did it in Cub Scouts, and thats is the way I'd suggest doing it, unless someone else can think of a better strategy.

Venator

imported post

Michigander wrote:
Mark Cortis and I have been talking about doing something like this after we make the movie. As in we're probably going to plan it out after we finish filming.

The idea was another joint effort between OCers and his company, as well as other area organizations, like we could ask Focus Hope, or Gleaners. Maybe Forgotten Harvest. His church could perhaps also be brought into it if they wanted. (Mark is after all a Pastor, and is into this stuff too)

Way early in the cold months of this year we had a meeting to brain storm ways we could do OC activities. What we discussed for canned food drives, as I recall, was having custom printed bags made so they could be dropped off, telling people very briefly who we are, and asking those who could afford to to put canned food in the bag the next weekend, so we could pick it up. That's the way I did it in Cub Scouts, and thats is the way I'd suggest doing it, unless someone else can think of a better strategy.
Do you want to take the lead on this and set up a place, date and time? Keep in mind gun deer season from Nov. 15-30, where many people will be out hunting on those weekends.

While printed bags are nice they cost money. Why not keep it as simple as possible. Set up outside a food store (where we can get cardboard boxes) with a pop-up canopy and a table and have on hand a pick-up truck to load and haul the food to it's destination. Publicity for MOC, the Store, the Church and the food bank...win...win.

We can hand out brochures as well as have up a MOC banner. KISS.

Michigander

imported post

For the short term, if we want to make it before this years thanksgiving, that might be the best way to do it.

As for me taking the lead, I'll be busy hunting too, so that is a concern.

I'd like to say full steam ahead, I'm all over it, but as of right now I'm much more concerned about the movie we're making. I'm basically the writer, sort of the director, and there are a number of details I have to sort out.

So I'll say this, I want to take charge of it, and we (mark and I and hopefully many others here) will try to do this after the movie. But, if someone else wants to spearhead a canned food drive effort, it wouldn't hurt t have 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 drives. Would make for a good news story, "this is only one of many MOC food drives", and besides, I'm honestly more eager to help those in need than grab the best news story. Numerous food drives would be a very nice thing any way you look at it.

cabman1

imported post

gotta go do the paper work but I think I have a food drive set for the 7th and 8th of November at walmart here In Jackson need some volunteer.for one day or the other I have the banners and the tables could use a couple folding chairs.

Venator

imported post

cabman1 wrote:
gotta go do the paper work but I think I have a food drive set for the 7th and 8th of November at walmart here In Jackson need some volunteer.for one day or the other I have the banners and the tables could use a couple folding chairs.
I think one day is enough, volunteers are hard enough to get as it is, having to do two days is asking alot.

I'm giving a MOC talk on the 7th in Fowlerville so that day is out for me. I can do Sunday the 8th.

Where are you donating the food that is collected? Will you have a vehicle that can transport it? More importantly will you have apple cider and pumpkin donuts for the volunteers?

T Vance

imported post

I have a truck that could take the donations to where they need to go (just as long as it isn't too far away). Maybe the "Food Kitchen" in Jackson would like to take the donations to help feed the needy. I'll let Cabman make the decision since he decided to organize it.

As far as the days, Walmart said it has to be a 2 day event (something to with with their non-profit policy--just what Cabman told me).

T Vance

imported post

We decided the Jackson Inter-Faith Shelter would be a good place to donate out the proceeds we recieve.The feed the homless and needy here in Jackson. I have driven past there on several occasions and seen and seen a lineup of people down the block. I called the shelter and they said they would be happy to accept the donations.

I have a question to pose. What if a non-CPL holder wanted to donate their time to this cause. Considering Walmart sells alcohol, as long as that individual didn't enter the store carrying, would they still be allowed to OC in front of the store?

wally1120

imported post

I am planning on being there as well, I am the NON-CPL holder that needs a couple answers before I do something and face some serious problems.

wally1120

imported post

Venator wrote:
cabman1 wrote:
I think one day is enough, volunteers are hard enough to get as it is, having to do two days is asking alot.

I'm giving a MOC talk on the 7th in Fowlerville so that day is out for me. I can do Sunday the 8th.

Where are you donating the food that is collected? Will you have a vehicle that can transport it? More importantly will you have apple cider and pumpkin donuts for the volunteers?

Where are you donating the food that is collected? Will you have a vehicle that can transport it?

More importantly will you have apple cider and pumpkin donuts for the volunteers?

Cabman this dont sound so bad you are providing the Cider right?

Venator

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I am planning on being there as well, I am the NON-CPL holder that needs a couple answers before I do something and face some serious problems.

You could not have a firearm on the property of any place that has a liquor license. So if you do not have a CPL you could not possess a firearm even in the lot, unless the lot is owned by another entity which I have seem in my travels.

This does pose a problem for non-CPL holders. If they want to help out they can but can't have a firearm.

autosurgeon

imported post

Good question Wally... I am not sure if the parking lot is included... I seem to recall that the fruit from the UP who got busted by the railroad crossing got nailed for having the guns in the parking lot of a store that sold booz prior to the stop ... not sure though and not finding the answer easily ... hope someone else speaks up...

Edited to add: Thanks Ven you got it while I was typing:lol:

Venator

imported post

autosurgeon wrote:
Good question Wally... I am not sure if the parking lot is included... I seem to recall that the fruit from the UP who got busted by the railroad crossing got nailed for having the guns in the parking lot of a store that sold booz prior to the stop ... not sure though and not finding the answer easily ... hope someone else speaks up... Dr. Todd?? :lol:

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.

T Vance

imported post

Venator wrote:
wally1120 wrote:

You could not have a firearm on the property of any place that has a liquor license. So if you do not have a CPL you could not possess a firearm even in the lot, unless the lot is owned by another entity which I have seem in my travels.

This does pose a problem for non-CPL holders. If they want to help out they can but can't have a firearm.
What if Walmart is connected to a mall that owns the property, and Walmart just leases the parking lot?

Michigander

imported post

In addition to talking about the movie today at lunch, mark and I and the others there discussed this.

He wants his company to be involved, and he is considering inviting the Sheriff's department.

The date we came up with that would best squeeze in with other events was saturday, November 14. I know that's pushing it too close to comfort for the religious holiday that is November 15, but its the only date we could pull off where we're all available and it's not firearm deer season.

We were thinking the Royal Oak area would be good, preferably staged in several locations, specifically any high traffic retail locations that sellnon perishablefood. We also want to involve any charitable organizations that could we could help or have help us, so either I'll call some places tomorrow (at school now with a dead phone) or if a RTM wants to go after this one, that works too.

autosurgeon

imported post

Venator wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
Good question Wally... I am not sure if the parking lot is included... I seem to recall that the fruit from the UP who got busted by the railroad crossing got nailed for having the guns in the parking lot of a store that sold booz prior to the stop ... not sure though and not finding the answer easily ... hope someone else speaks up... Dr. Todd?? :lol:

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(b) A church or other house of religious worship.

(c) A court.

(d) A theatre.

(e) A sports arena.

(f) A day care center.

(g) A hospital.

(h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
Yep there it is... ON the premises and the parking lot is in this case included.

When you have your CPL you tend not to wory about that and instead think about the areas the you cannot be with a cpl.