• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gonna play Devil's Advocate

Outdoorsman

imported post

I live in an area between the suburbs and the boonies. Most of the placesmy wife , son and Itravel are considered safe, relatively peaceful areas. These are not "high-crime" inner city areas. Do I really need to carry openly or concealed? My wife will say occassionally, "Why are you carrying here, it's a safe area?" My usual response is, "Hey, crime can happen anywhere!" Part of me wonders if I'm just being paranoid and overly cautious. But then I think to myself, "...you just never know." I'm sure I'll probably get "ripped on" for thinking this way, but I'm just curious to see if anyone else has these thoughts. By the way, I still mostly carry concealed over open.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Outdoorsman wrote:
I live in an area between the suburbs and the boonies. Most of the placesmy wife , son and Itravel are considered safe, relatively peaceful areas. These are not "high-crime" inner city areas. Do I really need to carry openly or concealed? My wife will say occassionally, "Why are you carrying here, it's a safe area?" My usual response is, "Hey, crime can happen anywhere!" Part of me wonders if I'm just being paranoid and overly cautious. But then I think to myself, "...you just never know." I'm sure I'll probably get "ripped on" for thinking this way, but I'm just curious to see if anyone else has these thoughts. By the way, I still mostly carry concealed over open.

You said you live in a safe area. Do you ever lock your house up at night? If so why? Do you lock yourvehicles up? If so why? Do you have insurance? If so why? Do you wear a seat belt or buckle your kids up while driving? If so Why?

After all, the chances of something bad happening, whether a crime or an accident are very low. I hope you get the idea I'm trying to convey and this is not an attack on you and yours. This may help you with your wives perception of why we should all carry often. Because one never knows what will happen.

Michigander

imported post

One of the most peaceful and friendly places I've ever been to, at least in my short time I had there, was Coolidge Arizona. I felt odd OCing there, because it seemed impossible that there was any reason I'd need to be armed, because everyone was so nice.

As I recall, a week or two after our job there was finished, someone was murdered there.

Human nature can get ugly, even in the nicest of places. And let's not forget about 4 legged reasons to carry.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Better To Have And Not Need Than Need And Not Have.

I OC where I am comfortable and CC where I am not. My daughter has explicitly asked me not to OC at her soccer games, but still wants me to carry there. My mom has explicitly asked me not to OC at her home, but still wants me to carry there. To date, I have abided by their wishes as I am still able to defend myself and them if it comes down to it. I OC other places and both have no issues with it when they are with me. Keeping the peace with them is more important at this point and people are won over to OC little by slowly... They need time for a "frame of reference" change that a normal person (as normal as I will ever get) wears a pistol openly and they are not a LEO or a Cowboy/Wild-West Type Dude.

It is still new to all of us as I have only owned pistols for a year now, have been OC'ing for 5 months, and have been CC'ing for 3 months. I have owned firearms for many years, but those have been cased unless I was hunting or target shooting.

DanM

imported post

Outdoorsman wrote:
My wife will say occassionally, "Why are you carrying here, it's a safe area?"

It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Other responses to your wife'squestion:

• "Why do we have armed police, it's a safe area?"
  • "Why do we have 9-1-1, it's a safe area?"
  • "Why do people wear seatbelts, it's a safe area?"
  • "Why do people have life insurance,it's a safe area?"
  • "Why do people have fire detectors andextinguishers, it's a safe area?"
  • "Why do people have car insurance, it's a safe area?"

G

imported post

Coruna is a quiet little town in the southern central part of the state. No real crime to "worry" about. But a guy went on a shooting spree there a few weeks ago.

A few years back I was taking the family to a restaurant. We parked, got out and I notice a police car parked facing a pick-up in the shopping center lot next door. The cruiser doors were open and both officers were laying on the ground motionless. On the ground next to the pick-up was a guy laying there. Also motionless. No one else. We had arrived litterally moments after a shoot-out. It was about 6PM on a mid summer evening in Waterford. Within moments police swarmed the area.

If I was psycho, err psychic, I'd know when to carry & when it wasn't necessary.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

CV67PAT wrote:
Coruna is a quiet little town in the southern central part of the state. No real crime to "worry" about. But a guy went on a shooting spree there a few weeks ago.

A few years back I was taking the family to a restaurant. We parked, got out and I notice a police car parked facing a pick-up in the shopping center lot next door. The cruiser doors were open and both officers were laying on the ground motionless. On the ground next to the pick-up was a guy laying there. Also motionless. No one else. We had arrived litterally moments after a shoot-out. It was about 6PM on a mid summer evening in Waterford. Within moments police swarmed the area.

If I was psycho, err psychic, I'd know when to carry & when it wasn't necessary.
I have a similar reply for when someone asks me why I carry all the time. I tell them that if I knew when and where I'd need it, I'd simply stay away. No better cure for violence than prevention. But, I am not psychic either, so I carry...

Outdoorsman

imported post

Thanks everyone for all your comments. I especially like the one from Fishous; "It's not about the odds, it's about the stakes".Let's keep ourselves and our loved onessafe!