• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

pro-gun bills, we need your help

joshuaeberly

imported post

y'all saw the NRA release that PD in detroit posted, well, thank the NRA for having an agenda that doesn't include bills they didn't help write.

that committee meeting actually covered eight different gun rights bills that the committee is sitting on, including the bill which expands/clarifies preemption to cover colleges.

http://house.michigan.gov/publiccommitteeschedule/MeetingDisplay.aspx?BroadcastKey=780

the meeting went overtime, and a subsequent meeting was scheduled for 10/27/09 at 10:30 AM

there were nowhere near enough supporters present at the original meeting, probably because many of us, including myself, thought that the agenda only included those two bills listed in the NRA release.

we need to show visible support for these bills, especially the workplace protection and preemption expansion.

please show up to this meeting, I'll be there, I hope you will be too, we need these bills passed, the first step is to get them out of committee, and they won't leave there without OUR VISIBLE SUPPORT.

PM me if there are any questions or if I missed any details, maybe we could do lunch afterwards.
below is the text of the meeting agenda.

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] Date: [/font] 10/27/2009 [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] Time: [/font] 10:30 AM [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] Meeting: [/font] Standing Committee Meeting
Tourism, Outdoor Recreation and Natural Resources
[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] Chair: [/font] Representative Joel SheltrownAll bills referred to this committee [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] Location: [/font] 521 House Office Building, Lansing, MI [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] Broadcast: [/font] No [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] [/font] [font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"] Agenda: [/font] HB 5302-(Opsommer)-Weapons; other; right to transportation and storage of firearms under certain circumstances; allow.

HB 5303-(Sheltrown)-Weapons; other; transportation of firearms for lawful purpose; expand.

HB 5470-(Mayes)-Weapons; licensing; waiver of concealed weapons licensing requirements; clarify for military personnel.

HB 5471-(Haase)-Weapons; other; no-carry zone violations; require compliance by individuals licensed out of state.

HB 5472-(Segal)-Weapons; licensing; waiver of license to purchase requirement for certain military personnel; provide for.

HB 5473-(Bolger)-Weapons; licensing; purchase and possession of pistol or merchandise by licensed dealer; allow under certain circumstances.

HB 5474-(Wayne Schmidt)-Weapons; other; preemption of firearm laws; expand to include institutions of higher education.

HB 5520-(Bolger)-Weapons; licensing; purchase and possession of pistol by licensed dealer; allow under certain circumstances.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I communicated with Rep Sheltrown and he stated that next weeks meeting is mostly to vote with little discussion. But anyone is welcome to attend.

I really like the fix to the transporting a handgun statute. They plan to just say lawful purpose and eliminate all the examples, so no more hassle by LEOs about "are you coming from a range?" question.

If it passes we just have to inform the PD's about the change.

PDinDetroit

imported post

Sorry guys, I was aware of the other bills but did not post for some reason! :banghead:

Here is a response I received today:

Dear Mr. PDinDetroit, State Representative Jim Slezak appreciates the time you have taken out of your day to write him your concern pertaining to HB 5302, HB 5303. The representative would like you to know that these bills which were sponsored by Representative Opsommer and Representative Sheltrown did hear testimony today at the committee meeting. These bills are scheduled for a vote on October 27, but this is susceptible to change. I am attaching a couple oflinks at the bottom of this email so that you may follow these bills as they progress through the legislative process. Thank you for contacting our office and if you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to contact us once again. HB 5302 HB 5303 Sincerely, Trevor L. Westbrook Office Staff for State Representative Jim Slezak Jim Slezak, State Representative 50th District State Capitol PO Box 30014 124 North Capitol Lansing, MI 48909-7514 517-373-3906 517-373-5812 fax http://www.050.housedems.com

That looks like a "NO" vote in my book.