• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Event - Old Dominion University - 27 October - YIPEEEE!!!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

peter nap wrote:
vbnative73 wrote:
vbnative73 wrote:
Just curious ... is anybody from VCDL going to be coordinating our efforts and passing out stickers and such?

As this seems to be a separate OCDO vice VCDL event and nobody chimed in with an answer, I guess not.

Is there somebody planning to show up who has a roll of GSL stickers that they can bring?
At the risk of being condemned to Hankland...I'm not sure this is one VCDL wants to chance.
Definitely not speaking for VCDL - only my own opinion.

I do not see anything to be gained by our attendance. Why galvanize any antis and garner negative press when Deed's campaign is already in the tank? I prefer in this case to let the election send my message.

We have many battles yet to be fought - just don't think this one will have any positive return. I'd really prefer that nobody came to their party - an empty room.

Yata hey

Renegade

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

I do not see anything to be gained by our attendance. Why galvanize any antis and garner negative press when Deed's campaign is already in the tank? I prefer in this case to let the election send my message.

We have many battles yet to be fought - just don't think this one will have any positive return. I'd really prefer that nobody came to their party - an empty room.
Grape - imagining that no one will attend their party is like them believing that restricting the sale and ownership of firearms will solve crime problems - it will never happen.

And to think the antis are not galvanized already? Really...and negative press, c'mon man! The anti's hate us and so does the press. They can twist and turn this anyway they wish but when dozens, or many times hundreds, of law abiding gun owners show up at a rally the message is clear.

Your decision is yours - I will take every imaginable opportunity I am presented with. Ruthless and without compromise...that is how we will win.

vbnative73

imported post

I've heard PVC say it so many times ... "We have a right to defend ourselves anywhere we can legally be."

1. The election isn't over until it's over. Remember 2000?

2. Separate issue is that the anti's and MSNBC made a big deal saying we didn't have a right to carry near a POTUS event, so if we all of a sudden stop showing up now, they can and will claim a victory on that point.

That's my .02

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
peter nap wrote:
vbnative73 wrote:
vbnative73 wrote:
Just curious ... is anybody from VCDL going to be coordinating our efforts and passing out stickers and such?

As this seems to be a separate OCDO vice VCDL event and nobody chimed in with an answer, I guess not.

Is there somebody planning to show up who has a roll of GSL stickers that they can bring?
At the risk of being condemned to Hankland...I'm not sure this is one VCDL wants to chance.

Yata hey
I agree GS!
We just completed a rally that is really unique in this country. It was done peacefully, professionally and got the attention of most of the united states...judging from the traffic on the net anyway.
We're a week away from the election and despite McDonnell's shortcomings, I think he will remember who his friends are..Plus, Cuccineli is PRO GUN and pro a lot of other things I favor.

While I like to take any opportunity to poke a stick in Deeds eye, this is one that could turn on us very quickly. The Secret Service will be all over and I promise you, get too close and you WILL be detained for questioning.
There won't be any law suit, there won't be any rabble uprising, there will only be biased news coverage.

That's just not the kind of fight I want to jump into.

Now for those of us that think it's a good thing, have at it. I'm far from always right and I'm sure not in the advice business.

vbnative73

imported post

Respective of these opinions, I'll be sure to wear a pro-gun shirt that is not a VCDL shirt and I'll leave my orange buttons at home. Sorry, not scraping the stickers off the car.

For those going, I'll be wearing the black T-shirt with choices of GUN OWNER or VICTIM on the back. Fell free to say hi. It'll be nice to have somebody to talk to besides the Secret Service.

Also, for those going, where/when are we meeting?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

vbnative73 wrote:
Respective of these opinions, I'll be sure to wear a pro-gun shirt that is not a VCDL shirt and I'll leave my orange buttons at home. Sorry, not scraping the stickers off the car.

For those going, I'll be wearing the black T-shirt with choices of GUN OWNER or VICTIM on the back. Fell free to say hi. It'll be nice to have somebody to talk to besides the Secret Service.

Don't pull them off because of what I said. I don't speak for VCDL.:p

Thundar

imported post

Still do not know when the Obamination/ Dirty Deeds Rally will happen. As of 0900 Monday still no announced time. What ODU has announced is that it will be an afternoon event.

From ODU Website, posted 23 October:

President Barack Obama will visit Old Dominion University's Ted Constant Convocation Center Tuesday, Oct. 27 as part of a series of campaign support stops prior to the upcoming November elections.

Sponsored and paid for by the Democratic nominee for governor Creigh Deeds campaign, the event will take place Tuesday afternoon, with specific times to be announced. The event is free and open to the public, but tickets are required for admission.

Link: http://www.odu.edu/ao/news/index.php?todo=details&id=18629

darthmord

imported post

Thundar wrote:
darthmord wrote:
I don't recall there being a provision in their rules that allows ODU to punish you for participating in citizen activities taking place on public property.

Sounds like a rights violation just waiting for someone to jump all over should such actions on ODU's part occur.
It is called the professor swat. It is administered to politically incorect students to try to make them conform to their professors warped view of the world.

I've had them try that on me in the past at TCC. But alas, the professor had no legs to stand on. The rules of TCC were on my side.

Besides, if I were a student at ODU, I'd welcome their attempts to run roughshod over me for participating in such an event.

I'm a nice guy. Really, I am. (smiles with a shark's smile).

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

The Tea Party folk are going.
Wonder what other anti's will be there

[font="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif"]Details are being finalized for tomorrow's Tea Party Welcome to Obama in Norfolk.
The Commander Campaigner in Chief will be trying to spin more tales of Hope and Change on yet another one of his road trips out of the Oval Office. We wonder if he even knows how to find the Resolute Desk these days - unless it's for photo ops and signing off on war strategies against Fox News, Individual Liberty and Capitalism.
Here's Your Chance to Tellthe President What You Think of His Policies.

Where: Ted Constant Convocation Center, 4320 Hampton Blvd, Norfolk, VA 23529-0001
www.constantcenter.com (for directions)

When: Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Note the Time Change: Obamais expected to arrive sometime after 2pm.
We are asking for tea partydemonstrators to arrive aroundnoon.

What: President Obama will be stumping for Deeds. Our goal is to use this opportunity
to greethim in the Tea Party way.
Signs, Banners, T-Shirts, Hats are completely appropriate and highly encouraged.

Sincewe do not know his exact arrival time,bring coolers with water and snacks, and perhaps lawn chairs and umbrellas. We do not have a permit so prepare to be flexible and responsive to requests made by HRTP leaders or law enforcement. There willl be a hotel suite available (provided by HRTP members)next to the facility for our use, which we can use for bathroom visits. More information about that will be providedon-site. Parking is limited, so get there early if you can.

PS Weather may threaten, but what doesn't these days? Let it rain. Who Cares?
[/font]

vbnative73

imported post

peter nap wrote:
vbnative73 wrote:

Don't pull them off because of what I said. I don't speak for VCDL.:p
As it turns out, I have to work my full shift (1800-0600). I was supposed to have the 1st half off but my boss decided we have to much going on to split up the shift.
So, I can't even go to the Mayor protest either. That's the part that really bums me out.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I received this in my student email tonight. Hope this helps yall out;)

DETAILS FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA’S VISIT TO ODU
President Barack Obama will visit Old Dominion University's Ted Constant Convocation Center Tuesday, Oct. 27.
Sponsored and paid for by the campaign of Democratic nominee for governor Creigh Deeds, the event is free and open to the public, but tickets are required for admission. Doors will open at 2 p.m.
The following information has been provided for the assistance of the ODU community and general public:
ADMISSION
Tickets are required for the event. Doors open at 2 p.m. and attendees are urged to arrive early to clear security checkpoints. Please limit personal items. For security reasons, do not bring bags. Signs and banners are not permitted.
PARKING
Event parking for ticket holders will be in Garage C (43[sup]rd[/sup] St. and Hampton Blvd.), Garage D (45[sup]th[/sup] St. and Hampton Blvd.) and Lot 1 (WHRO). Attendees are urged to carpool because parking is limited and is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Alternate parking arrangements have been secured for faculty, staff and students who normally park in Garage C, Garage D and Lot 1. The following lots are for ODU faculty, staff and students only and cars must display a valid ODU parking decal.
For those who normally park in Garage C, use Garage A located at 43rd Street and Elkhorn Avenue.
For those who normally park in Garage D, use -
· Visitor's Lot in front of the football stadium at 49th Street and Hampton Boulevard;
· Lot 6 on Bluestone Avenue and 49th Street;
· Lot 27 on Elkhorn and 49th Street;
· Lots 11, 16 or 33 on 49th Street near Rogers Hall.

All parking lots located west of Hampton Boulevard will be considered as overflow lots and any vehicle with a valid ODU parking decal may park there.

Additional parking also can be found in:
· Lot 42 near Whitehurst Hall;
· Lots 48, 52 or 55 on the south side of 43rd Street; and
· Lot 43 at Powhatan Avenue and 43rd Street;

The university will also provide special shuttle bus service to transport individuals from parking areas on the west side of campus to the University Village area. The shuttle will run from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. and again from 3:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. This shuttle will start at Lot 38, located just north of Garage A (43rd Street and Elkhorn Avenue) and visit Lot 27, located on the corner of Elkhorn Avenue and 49th Street, as well as the Visitor's Lot, located next to football stadium. The bus will cross Hampton Boulevard and proceed to the University Village. The Blue Route shuttle service will run its normal route, including a stop at Lot 43, located on Powhatan Avenue and 43rd Street, and the parking lots near Whitehurst Hall.
[size=][/size]
[size=STREET CLOSURES and TRAFFIC][/size]
[size=][/size]
[size=Throughout the day, 43[sup]rd[/sup] and 45[sup]th[/sup] Streets between Hampton Boulevard and Monarch Way and Monarch Way between 43[sup]rd[/sup] and 45[sup]th[/sup] Streets will have limited access. During the arrival and departure of the president, the streets will be closed. Additionally, Hampton Boulevard will experience rolling closures for the motorcade during the president’s arrival and departure.][/size]
[size=][/size]
[size=To help with traffic, officials urge anyone who does not need to, to avoid the area Tuesday afternoon.][/size]
[size=][/size]
[size=Anyone travelling to the Old Dominion University campus should allow extra time, as traffic is expected to be very heavy throughout the afternoon.][/size]

usaf0906

imported post

Thundar wrote:
1356 Kimber Carrier and I are in front of the Convention Center with the Tea Party People. No Dirty Deeds or Obaminations yet.
From what I read on fox news, Obama wont be there til closer to 1600.