• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while Dating

mahkagari

imported post

This topic came up on another forum. More specifically it was how you would react if you found out your date was carrying. Most responses were that if your date was CCing correctly, you wouldn't know.

There were the sheeple responding "Why would you need a GUN on a date? Why would you go somewhere you would need one?" The response from people with brains pointed out that two people wrapped up in eachother, carryingcash for valets, tips, splitting checks, wearing more jewelry in a "nice area" where they think they can let their guard down spells E-Z-T-A-R-G-E-T to BGs.

But what are thoughts about OC vs CC? Especially for a first date? Anyone I'm going to be with needs to be okay with me carrying as well as accompanying me to the range regularly, but maybe not an in your face first date conversation I want to have.

Grimes

imported post

I'd say to OC on the date. Even if she doesn't like guns, if she's ok being around you while you carry, then shes a girl to go out with. There might be the chance that she likes guns or is an OC person too :celebrate

just my 2 cents. :dude:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mahkagari wrote:
But what are thoughts about OC vs CC? Especially for a first date? Anyone I'm going to be with needs to be okay with me carrying as well as accompanying me to the range regularly, but maybe not an in your face first date conversation I want to have.

Chat her up about it beforehand. Definitely.

No use explaining the whole deal as a total surprise.

Remember, in most social and situationalcontexts, OC is not normal. Someday it may be normal but it ain't yet, in most contexts.

If she's cool wit it, then full speed ahead....

office888

imported post

Open-carry on the first date.

Worst that could happen:
She's anti-gun. It wouldn't have worked anyways.

Best:
She is carrying concealed, you laugh about the situation and you now have something to talk about.

I don't think you'd find a woman that OCs too, unless you met her on HERE. This is a pretty small website.

I'm one of two people within 10 miles, that is on this site, that open-carries in Michigan.

-Richard-

SA-TX

Centurion
imported post

office888 wrote:

Worst that could happen:

Best:
She is carrying concealed, you laugh about the situation and you now have something to talk about.

I don't think you'd find a woman that OCs too, unless you met her on HERE. This is a pretty small website.

I'm one of two people within 10 miles, that is on this site, that open-carries in Michigan.

-Richard-
In Texas we don't have OC as an option, but I've CCed on every date, first and otherwise, for years. It hasn't been an issue. On a dating site that I use, I discuss my target shooting and I have a picture of a used target to enforce the fact that it is an important part of my life. I once had a girl ask about it in email. I told her why I posted the picture, truth-in-advertising. She understood and later went out with me doubtlessly knowing that I was packing. :cool:

mahkagari

imported post

office888 wrote:

Worst that could happen:
Actually, I think the worst is that she's not anti-gun but very unfamiliar with OC. She spends the night nervous and getting used to the idea. You spend your time not only trying to get to know her but trying to placate her unease. That energy is not spent being on alert and either because you happen to be someplace that serves alcohol or just out on the town, you don't see a drunk grab for your weapon. Something that could have been avoided if you had set yourself up for less distraction. Or even worse, you don't see a BG who may or may not notice your weapon, but does notice you being distracted.

I've seen guys go with CC on the first and second date, topic comes up on second or third, especially if you've likely been to the range in between and what you do with yourtime is topic of conversation.Then if you were charming enough for her to get past any unease and accept another date, next date is to a shooting range. OC after that quickly becomes a non-issue if the relationship's going anywhere.

SA-TX, the SA doesn't stand forSouth Africa by chancedoes it?

Harper1227

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
This topic came up on another forum. More specifically it was how you would react if you found out your date was carrying. Most responses were that if your date was CCing correctly, you wouldn't know.

There were the sheeple responding "Why would you need a GUN on a date? Why would you go somewhere you would need one?" The response from people with brains pointed out that two people wrapped up in eachother, carryingcash for valets, tips, splitting checks, wearing more jewelry in a "nice area" where they think they can let their guard down spells E-Z-T-A-R-G-E-T to BGs.

i think considering your audience you are gonna get some biased answers here. Not bad, just OC leining.

I would seriously advice CC if legal and if not - DEFITELY talk to her about it first. You can feel her out and see if she is anti or just unfamiliar and it will really give you a better forcast on how things will go

In my position had hubby OC'd on the first date I may have been put off. We were both in the military at the tim so I was in NO way anti gun, i just needed to warm up to it.

Don't just spring it on her or like someone else already mentioned she will be nervous and possibly confused like "WTF?" and its going to ruin the date.

Harper1227

imported post

mahkagari wrote:

one question. do you remember the site. i would be interested to know the context. like, was it a dating site or a gun site?

also, i know a few reasons why a woman might need a gun on a date.

specifically if you are asking this question it is likely that the person doesnt know you carry, which might mean they dont know you too well. Which means, you dont know them well enough to know their intentions.

besides, there is always the matter of general self defense.

mahkagari

imported post

Harper1227 wrote:
one question. do you remember the site. i would be interested to know the context. like, was it a dating site or a gun site?
It was a social networking/dating site. The question in the OP was "How would you react if you found out your date was carrying a weapon, e.g. gun/knife?"

Hendu024

imported post

HankT wrote:
mahkagari wrote:

Chat her up about it beforehand. Definitely.

No use explaining the whole deal as a total surprise.

Remember, in most social and situationalcontexts, OC is not normal. Someday it may be normal but it ain't yet, in most contexts.

If she's cool wit it, then full speed ahead....
wow the first thing HankT has said that has been worth my time to read...

mahkagari

Bumping this with a relevant experience.

Went out with a lady friend the other night to a show in Denver (emphasis on 'friend'). After the show the street was dead dead dead. The taqueria across the street was closed so we went to the restaurant/bar next to it, which wasn't open for much longer. We just had an appetizer and took a walk. We passed a club where the doorman jokingly pleaded "PLEASE come in to our club". We obligatorily laughed and walked on.

She said, "So that was a non-party party?" Neither of us had dressed well for the cold, so I asked if she wanted to see if they had a cover and we could duck in while waiting for her husband to pick her up. As we approached I saw the bouncers with "security" tshirts and said, "Hmm, I'm carrying. If they have a pat-down, I can't go in". I knew her family was gun-friendly generally, but not sure how she'd feel about it at that instance. It was a $5 cover and not worth it for a few minutes.

Anyone had a real date with similar dilemna?

since9

Campaign Veteran
I've only OC'd on one date. Turns out she was all for it, just not for me, Lol.

I've CC'd on numerous dates, including almost always when out with my ex-wife (back when she wasn't an ex), and I'm always careful to ensure they're aware, and to ascertain how they feel about.

After all, I'd hate to invest the time, money, and energy of they were opposed to carry in general.

luv_jeeps

Campaign Veteran
I carry most of the time when I go out on dates......with the Wifey. ;-)

If we get to the restaraunt and I order a beer/drink she knows I am not carrying.
If I order an iced tea or lemonade, she knows I am.
I have been doing a lot more open carrying to.....