• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Digital Voice Recorder

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

For those of you who carry this little accessory, would you mind telling me a little bit about how you use it?

1. Where do you carry it
  2. Do you use the built-in microphone or some other type of microphone
  3. Do you keep it turned on all the time
Are there any other tips for someone getting ready to use one of these? TIA

Undertaker

imported post

Find a small rechargeable one that will fit in your shirt pocket. The more gigs the better and get a 'one button record' model and familiarize yourself with where that button is. I put a couple of drops (carefully) of epoxy on the record button so i can feel it through my pocket. It's your best insurance policy when out and about carrying. If you're ever approached by a nonbeliever or an unruely manager, officer et al, just tap the button. It's all recorded if there is ever any question. :banghead:

chewy352

imported post

I carry a Sony ICD-PX720

It cost me about $60 but was worth every penny. The quality is amazing and it comes with a USB cord to download recordings to your computer. It also comes with an editing program so I can delete me telling my Fiance she has a nicegluteous maximusas we walk out the door.

I carry mine in the small pocket of my jeans so that the microphone is out of my pants.

It gets turned on before I step out my front door and doesn't get turnedoff until I walk back through it.

mobeewan

imported post

I carry mine in my shirt pocket in standby mode. It is a Sony just like the previously mentioned one. I can reach up and discreetly tap the record button then I'll scratch myself next to the shirt pocket to help disguisemy movement. I usually keep it in my truck on an accesory shelfI addedabove the visor when not carrying it. I also have a second older one there that is digital but no USB port. If I get stopped by the popo and don't have it in my pocket I can reach up and grab it and turn it on and push record and stick it in my pocket. I can then grab the older one and do the same and if the officer asks me what I was reaching for I can show him the old oneand tell him my voice recorder. If he demands that I turn it off I can comply. ;)

John Wolver

imported post

I carry mine usually in my top pouch of my double mag carrier that rests in front of my left hip. It records pretty well from there. I keep it there for quick access, take it off of hold, hit record and let it go.

NCjones

imported post

Neo wrote:
For those of you who carry this little accessory, would you mind telling me a little bit about how you use it?

1. Where do you carry it
  2. Do you use the built-in microphone or some other type of microphone
  3. Do you keep it turned on all the time
Are there any other tips for someone getting ready to use one of these? TIA
Check with your local law enforcement to see if you need to apply for a concealed recorder license.

Sionadi

imported post

I have one hanging on my neck, microphone on my collar. Then i have a second one in my cowboy boots, i even made a small pouch on the side for it, and i have my microphone hooked to the back of my pant leg.

The one in my boot has the longest record time and battery life so i leave it on whenever i leave my house, the one around my neck i just press the record button when needed.

Neo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

NCjones wrote:
<snip>
Check with your local law enforcement to see if you need to apply for a concealed recorder license.
AL is a one-party state. As long as I'm one of the parties involved in a conversation,I can record it with or without the consent or knowledge of the other parties.

Deanimator

imported post

Mine is on a lanyard tied to a key chain clipped to my belt loop. The recorder fits perfectly in the change pocket of my jeans. When I go for a walk at night, I just start the recorder and let it run.

Xader

imported post

Neo wrote:
NCjones wrote:
<snip>
AL is a one-party state. As long as I'm one of the parties involved in a conversation,I can record it with or without the consent or knowledge of the other parties.
OR is the same way.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I feel that having the device record at all times is the best, by needing to turn it on only when you think you want to record, you are very likely to miss keyitems that should have been recorded.

For instance, lets say you situational awareness is lacking, a cop yells for you to get your hands over your head. How do you plan on hitting that record button?

I feel it would be better to start recording the moment you step outdoors, if nothing happens, delete it when you get back home. You may miss key exhonerating evidence otherwise

NCjones

imported post

My Olympus VN6200OC will record for 70 hours in high quality mode. Makes no sense for me not to turn it on when I head out the door and record everything.
"Hold on - let me turn on the recorder" makes about as much sense as "Hold on - let me load this gun".

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

My recorder does fine in my front pocket of my chinos. It records for 30+ hours so I turn it on as I leave the house.

My last encounter with the police I took it out of my pocket about half way through and the part recorded inside was just as intelligible as the part recorded outside.