• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Available weapon at home (to combat potential home invasion)

suntzu

imported post

McX wrote:
I've seen in the paper, here, as of late, 3 home invasions in 30 days. The first were caught, but now come the copy cats. I thought I would be safe out on the edge of the 'burbs. But now I've gone to, not so much OC at home, but (weapon) available, with the magazine in my pocket- for comfort. The machine won't do me any good locked in the gun vault. I haven't announced my decision to my family. Just strategically placed my weapon as to get to it. And for some time now it will "go to bed with me". Just throwing it out there for discussion, and wondering who else? And where else?
the magazine won't do you any good in your pocket either in my opinion. The best place for the magazine is in the firearm unless of course you have a particular reason for not having a loaded magazine in your gun.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

suntzu wrote:
McX wrote:
I've seen in the paper, here, as of late, 3 home invasions in 30 days. The first were caught, but now come the copy cats. I thought I would be safe out on the edge of the 'burbs. But now I've gone to, not so much OC at home, but (weapon) available, with the magazine in my pocket- for comfort. The machine won't do me any good locked in the gun vault. I haven't announced my decision to my family. Just strategically placed my weapon as to get to it. And for some time now it will "go to bed with me". Just throwing it out there for discussion, and wondering who else? And where else?
the magazine won't do you any good in your pocket either in my opinion. The best place for the magazine is in the firearm unless of course you have a particular reason for not having a loaded magazine in your gun.
+1000

An unloaded gun , like a dull knife, is a stick.

Decoligny

imported post

McX wrote:

The proper place while at home, it loaded in a holster on your person.

If you keep the unloaded gun in a "convenient place", what happens when they kick the door in and you happen to have gone to the fridge for a cold drink, or gone to the bathroom?

With the gun in a holster, it is secure from access by the kids, and it is readily accessible to you even if it is in the holster on the belt around your ankles while in the can.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

In and around the house I carry in an open 'bucket' holster on my belt. I carry cross draw in that it doesn't interfere with anything. I used to carry a Mak 9x18mm, but have recently begun carrying my wifes DW-40 .40 S&W in the same manner.

In a home invasion... you haven't got time to 'get it'.

FightingGlock19

imported post

McX wrote:
I haven't announced my decision to my family. Just strategically placed my weapon as to get to it.
There are 2 loaded Glock 19's, one loaded AK-47, and one loaded AR-15 in my house. The family knows where they are and that they are loaded (even the little ones :ghasp: ) and they all know how to use them.

Beau

imported post

As I type this my Glock 21 is sitting next to me in the Glock sport holster. If I go anywhere in the house it goes with me. The only reason it is not on my belt is because I am in my PJ's.

If your worried about a home invasion there is absolutely no reason not to be armed at all times. An intruder will not wait for you to run to wherever so that you can arm yourself.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

My home defense weapon is my Remington 870 EBS.

I bought it from an acquaintance for ~$200, sent it to Wilson Combat Arms for ~$200 and put a couple of hundred dollars of furniture (ATR?). The first two rounds are birdshot followed by 00.

Usually I use it to chase the deer out of the yard, like swatting flies with an elephant gun.

TheMrMitch

imported post

I live in the sticks, in a small cabin by myself. I have loaded guns EVERYWHERE!

I can count 13 from where I sit. Even have one in the potty. My Jack Russell is my first line of defense.:dude:

The warm glow of the night sights on my Glock 21within reach from my bed lulls me into a peaceful euphoric sleep reaching for the arms of morpheus nightly.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

McX wrote:

Sounds good to me. You have a firearm available for use and relatively quick access to it.

I don't know why you separate the mag from the gun. But assuming you have a good reason for that, then it's OK.

What kind of doors/doorframes/locks do you have in your home? Strong...weak?

Any security system? Inside or outside?

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

That is the beauty of having 2 very large dogs.
If a home invasion does take place, the pooches will put up a fight with whoever is stupid enough to enter their home without my permission.

I pity the fool that opens our unlocked doors and walks in uninvited.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

McX wrote:
Thanks for the input guys. And your right in many respects. right now I'm just waking up to the reality of it; that's it's not going to get any better out there. This is a big first step for me, out of the gun vault, and available. I agree totally that it won't do me any good without being loaded, and may be in another room from me when needed. But like I said, it's my first steps on this. Damn shame the world has come to this, and that I'm not alone about active home defense. I'm going to be subtle about it, as not to attract the kids attention in the house. My wife did notice the magazine sitting out with me, and said nothing. Slowly either she's seeing the reality too, or is becoming desensitized to a weapon around the house. Kinda hard to carry it on me in those damn draw string lounging pants! I'm even looking forward to how this progresses, as I don't know yet either. In any event, the recent home invaders are still out there, and haven't been caught yet. They come in groups, and armed, according to the paper.

They come in groups? Does your wife know how to use a firearm? Does she have one of her own to keep around the house, when your not there? How about your kids, any of them big enough to handle a firearm?

If these thugs are in groups, you need to be able to greet them with your own little army of combatants.

Mr.arker

imported post

I live on the far south side of Milwaukee. Oak Creek is across the street. About a month ago now, I was up until 2 AM on a weeknight.. I was just getting ready for bed when the doorbell started ringing, about a half a dozen times.
I turn the outside door light on and there's a Hispanic guy about 30 with the black watch cap and a grey hoodie.
I say, What do you want?, he says, " I need a favorI, what favor?, I need a favor. So i tell him, I'll call the cops and let them do you a favor.
He says, "forget it" and walks away.
I look and I didn't see any vehicle or anybody else with him.
i call 911 and about 10 minutes later, 2 squads pull up, I give the description and they looked around the area.
I heard nothing else about it and it hasn't happened again.

I think the guy purposely spoke low, so I couldn't understand him (my dog was barking loud too) and then if I took off the deadbolt and opened the door so I could hear him better, he might've bullrushed me.
The thing that bothered me the most was that the night before, my wife had to leave the house at 2 AM, to fix a computer problem at the bank that she works for.
I have a Glock 22 and I was prepared to "stop the threat' if he would've kicked the door in.
This type of shit can happen anywhere.

Overtaxed

imported post

TheMrMitch wrote:
The warm glow of the night sights on my Glock 21 within reach from my bed lulls me into a peaceful euphoric sleep reaching for the arms of morpheus nightly.

Ah... you have reminded me of an old quote by Poe: "Sleep...those little deaths. How I loathe them."

suntzu

imported post

Also remember--your handgun is good to get you to a long gun--shot gun, FN, AK, AR, or other long gun of your choice--environment, proximity to neighbors, thickness of your walls...all play a part in your choice of a long gun.

chewy352

imported post

A shoulder holster is a good possibility for night time clothes too and doesn't look as silly as a fanny pack imho.

My first line of defense: