• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Available weapon at home (to combat potential home invasion)

jayspapa

imported post

You could do like me. I am disabled and spend most of my time at home. When at homeI am normally in either elastic banded shorts with draw string or sweat pants. I bought a kel-tec PF-9 so that I could slip it in my pockets while here at home and always have a loaded gun at hand. ALWAYS.

Late at night like now ( should say early morning ) I have my Kimber 45 laying on the desk within easy reach .

As others have said , you should think about finding a way to have the gun on you . You just might not have time to run 10 feet to get it. You have to do what you are comfortable with though.

I also have a jack Russel to let me know when anyone is around. :)

mathar1

imported post

A cop friend if mine (before I carried mind you) reminded me when I told him I keep a gun in the bedroom "if something happens" that .."100% of home invasions take place in the home. They watch and notice your patterns and try to catch you at the worst possible moment. IE..making dinner..in the bathroom etc. If you are carrying ON you there is no such thing as a bad moment". ;)

Sonora Rebel

imported post

All too often... we are encumbered... even crippledby the thought of 'what other people may think'. In reality... most people don't 'think'. Not about self defense at least. Too 'brutal'. They've been conditioned, inculcated, propagandized to the point of being not even marginally 'aware' of having to provide for their own defense.As such, they remain in denial of the unthinkable.

Look at the 'security alarm system' commercials on the tube.... (A woman) Clutching the phone in fear while the voice on the line tells you: "We're sending help.' 'Course, in the commercials... the bad guy who just kicked the door in always runs off. Good luck with that! Notice... it's always 'a woman or girl' in those commercials? That's the targeted market. Institutionalized victimhood. Institutionalized 'Condition White'.Institutalized dependancy on 'someone else' for your personal safety.

I don't carry a sidearm because I'm fearful... I carry it because I'm 'responsible'. I'm responsible for myself, my family and my home. There is the obvious reason of 'force disparity'. I'm not Superman... and I'm not about to engage a bad guy (or a group) hand to hand. We live in a rather remote area in the Sonora Desert within sight of Mexico. Emergency response time may be long in coming. It is both reasonable and prudent to be armed.

My wife is a small woman... she carries a gun either on her or in the glove box when she's 'out'. She doesn't carry around the house, but it's available. In fact, several are 'available'. She's taking Tai Kwan Do now twice a week... for the sole purpose of fending off a possible gun grabber 'til she can blow a hole in 'em. She's fierce like that.

The anti-gun bunch (particularly the metro-centric media types) love to use adjectives such as 'strutting' around, strapped... in reference to those of us who open carry. The mere visual of a firearm sends them into hystronics. Oddly... such visuals combined with a uniform and badge do not. Conditioned association of 'protection' vs 'criminality' or hostile intent? To the OP... let your wife (and family) read this... it might do some good. That's why I've written it.

B

Bikenut

imported post

McX wrote:
I can see there's alot to discuss, and alot for me to think about; Yes Sir.. there certainly is. Yet you are taking the first, and most important step by realizing that the world is not guaranteed to be a safe place... not even inside your own home.I don't want to reveal too much about our home, for obvious reasons. But I can say it's your typical subdivision home, built to look good, not so secure. I could upgrade security, but many flaws in the house design would still be present. You need to take a hard look at your home's weak points.. because the criminal certainly will look for them... and figure out a way to make those weak points less appealing to a criminal. We don't have any dogs- cat house, so to speak, so that line of defense doesn't exist here. A dog gives advance warning yet some people don't like dogs or can't afford to feed a decent sized dog.. or just don't want the hassle of a dog. Not knocking dogs... I like them myself but have no interest in owning one. Cats are almost useless for attacking an intruder but still, if the cat is watched, give prior warning by their actions. Outside lighting is poor. That can be helped with cheap solar powered yard lights. It won't light up the yard but it will show someone is out there as they pass by a light. My biggest problem is the family; Nothing to fear but fear itself mentality. The it will never happen here, to me idea. And that is going to be the biggest problem of all for you. Those who want to "feel" safe have difficulty facing the truth that nowhere is perfectly safe.... because if they do that safe "feeling" goes away. Very uncomfortable for folks to face that one. I don't share that. If I get up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I always sweep the house, and always find a "security violation" somewhere. Before I leave in the AM, I sweep the house, and often find "security violations". Either I, or Yooperlady, clear the house every time we come home. When something goes "bump" in the night it is investigated gun in hand. This is not paranoia... it is common sense. The kids are kept distant from my weapons, that's why no magazine in my gun. They would want to handle it, cause it's "cool", or their friends, and I can't allow that. Keep the keys away from the car so to speak. While it would be very labor intensive and take a lot of time... perhaps this is a great opportunity to teach your kids about guns... and gun safety... and mature gun handling by allowing them to handle it (unloaded of course... I didn't have to tell you that but other people read these things too) under your supervison... instead of furthering the mystical "cool" of the gun by trying to keep it away from them. As a father and grandfather I can say with certainty... if you have a gun in the house all the kids (and their friends) know exactly where that gun is kept. I keep the weapon in a central location, on the floor I'm on at that time. Others have said it before me... the best "central location" is on your person. It is safe from kids there and it is immediately accessable there. If necessary... change your mode of dress because you must decide if comfy pants are more important than you.. and your family's.. safety. I don't want to appear a zealot. The anti gun propaganda of the past many decades has you thinking that anyone who keeps a gun "at hand" must be some kind of whacko. But still I think my concerns are valid. Like I said, it's gotten bad enough to me, that I have taken the first step, out of the vault, and available. Reality has shown you that the anti gun "whacko" thing is BS... and, to your credit (pat yourself on the back because you deserve it) you have stepped up to the plate and taken responsibility for protecting everything that is dear to you. It looks like it's going to be at least that for me at home from now on. I ended up, and am a security force of one, for my home. My wife is anti-gun, but slowly coming around. Her handling a gun would never happen. Please don't give up on your wife. Many a woman has changed her mind when presented with the question... "Would you shoot someone molesting/raping/killing your daughter/son/grandchild?" My oldest is due to turn 21 soon, and I will arm him, so at least while he still lives at home, he might hear a "commotion", and arm up, and come to aid, investigate. And now, when you arm your son, you have much more to think about... such as team tactics so you don't end up shooting him by mistake... or him shooting you by mistake..Thank God he shares my views on firearms, and security.
Some responses in blue above.......

Please allow me to suggest that you and your now armed son spend plenty of time figuring out what to do "IF"... and try to get the whole family to some kind of shooting event like IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) puts on regularily just so they all can see what guns are about.. and meet the people who have guns.

B

Bikenut

imported post

+ a gazillion or so to Sonora Rebel's post above. Excellent!

By the way... those "security system" commercials really piss me off with their complete dishonesty.

Hendu024

imported post

catass wrote:
McX wrote:
I haven't announced my decision to my family. Just strategically placed my weapon as to get to it.
There are 2 loaded Glock 19's, one loaded AK-47, and one loaded AR-15 in my house. The family knows where they are and that they are loaded (even the little ones :ghasp: ) and they all know how to use them.
no offense, but I wouldn't want to be your neighbor when you unload on a BG with an AK inside your home and the rounds keep on truckin' through the walls of your house..

zack991

imported post

catass wrote:
McX wrote:
I haven't announced my decision to my family. Just strategically placed my weapon as to get to it.
There are 2 loaded Glock 19's, one loaded AK-47, and one loaded AR-15 in my house. The family knows where they are and that they are loaded (even the little ones :ghasp: ) and they all know how to use them.
I guess you and me both have the same idea.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Also remember--your handgun is good to get you to a long gun--shot gun, FN, AK, AR, or other long gun of your choice--environment, proximity to neighbors, thickness of your walls...all play a part in your choice of a long gun.

+1000

Amen! In a home defense situation...your handgunshouldonly be used to secure yourself and your family, and tofight your way to your long gun...mine isa loaded WASR AK.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
suntzu wrote:
Also remember--your handgun is good to get you to a long gun--shot gun, FN, AK, AR, or other long gun of your choice--environment, proximity to neighbors, thickness of your walls...all play a part in your choice of a long gun.

+1000

Amen! In a home defense situation...your handgunshouldonly be used to secure yourself and your family, and tofight your way to your long gun...mine isa loaded WASR AK.
My 'fight's' gonna be decided with whatever I have in hand... unless the Zombies come. It'll bea short and decisive scenario... either way. The BG's always have the element of surprise. I have the element of 'attitude'.

suntzu

imported post

Sonora Rebel wrote:
fully_armed_biker wrote:
suntzu wrote:

+1000

My 'fight's' gonna be decided with whatever I have in hand... unless the Zombies come. It'll bea short and decisive scenario... either way. The BG's always have the element of surprise. I have the element of 'attitude'.
Attitude can make up for a lot--but then again having a loaded long gun handy won't hurt things either ;).

BGs do have a great deal of the element of surprise--but if we pay attention to our surroundings that surprise can be somewhat reduced.

rodbender

imported post

Magazine in the pocket? I have a crop of rocks in the yard that I could use justas well. Just think of the money I could have saved. WOW!

M

McX

imported post

they were all bad guys, to one degree or another. I was just shocked to see firearms being used in the city of Chicago!:shock: As to the magazine in the pocket, I've found the wallet pocket on Dickie pants, buttoned makes an excellent magazine holder.:D

M

McX

imported post

I stepped back for a moment, and reviewed our discussions here too; Mr. Parker, your just up the road from me, your danger is THAT close to me. Proof positive it's everywhere, at any time to me! Thanks for relating that story Mr. Parker, helps me to know I've made the right decision here, and my friends on here have helped!