• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fairfax County Gov't Center complex

nova

imported post

I was at the Herrity Bldg for offical business (so no OC). I notice on the front doors it says that all persons entering the premises are subject to search.

I made it to one of the upper floors and didn't pass a single metal detector, security guard, or FCPD officer.

On a related note, my brother who's had to go to the main Gov't Center building (the big one with the county seal on the outside of it) said they have metal detectors inside it.

Obviously Fairfax County is not exempt from preemption, so how can they legally "ban guns" by forcing you to pass through metal detectors, or in the case of the Herrity Bldg, subject you to a random search? These are public buildings afterall.

I have to go back next week to the same building, if I remember I'll try and snap a pic.

Any input?

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

nova wrote:
I was at the Herrity Bldg for offical business (so no OC). I notice on the front doors it says that all persons entering the premises are subject to search.

I made it to one of the upper floors and didn't pass a single metal detector, security guard, or FCPD officer.

On a related note, my brother who's had to go to the main Gov't Center building (the big one with the county seal on the outside of it) said they have metal detectors inside it.

Obviously Fairfax County is not exempt from preemption, so how can they legally "ban guns" by forcing you to pass through metal detectors, or in the case of the Herrity Bldg, subject you to a random search? These are public buildings afterall.

I have to go back next week to the same building, if I remember I'll try and snap a pic.

Any input?

I dont necessarily see how being subject to search or passing through a metal detector equates to a gun ban. Did the sign say no guns? Remember, they can ban knives, pepper spray, alcoholic beverages,etc and still allow guns (as silly as that may seem).

nova

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
nova wrote:

Any input?

I dont necessarily see how being subject to search or passing through a metal detector equates to a gun ban. Did the sign say no guns? Remember, they can ban knives, pepper spray, alcoholic beverages,etc and still allow guns (as silly as that may seem).
It's been too long since I was in that particular building and my brother couldn't remember if there were any signs.

The reason I'd assume (bad idea, I know) they would ban guns, is because what else are they going to do? I know that in the General Assembly building they'll wave you through if you present a CHP, but a CHP isn't required in this case since it is a locality and not a state agency for example.

You're right though, metal detectors doesn't equate to no guns.

nova

imported post

CRF250rider1000 wrote:
TFred wrote:
I guess they expect you to de-holster your gun and plop it in the little bowl with your keys and change...

TFred
NEVER! They can wand me if they really need to
+1 even though I think that was a joke :lol:

CRF250rider1000

imported post

nova wrote:
CRF250rider1000 wrote:
TFred wrote:
I guess they expect you to de-holster your gun and plop it in the little bowl with your keys and change...

TFred
NEVER! They can wand me if they really need to
+1 even though I think that was a joke :lol:
Yea I know just sayin;) BTW I'll be home this weekend again because the bank screwed up my checks!:banghead:

nova

imported post

I'll be sure to keep my phone in working order then so we can get together.

G

Gentleman Ranker

imported post

So, has anyone carrying (openly or concealed) ever tried to walk through or past the detectors at the Government Center?

If so, what happened?

If not, why not?

Just asking.

regards,

GR

[Edited only to correct a misspelling]

Marco

imported post

Gentleman Ranker wrote:
So, has anyone carrying (openly or concealed) ever tried to walk through or past the detectors at the Government Center?

If so, what happened?

If not, why not?

Just asking.

regards,

GR

[Edited only to correct a misspelling]
Have you?
If no, why not?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

On Lobby Day we have to pass through metal detectors at the entrance to the General Assembly Building, just like the rest of the hordes. Having a CHP gets us waved through, to the utter consternation of the rest of the hoi and poloi. After that we are supposed to have our ID and CHP viewed by a Capitol Police officer.

(Yes, even if you OC, you must have a CHP if you are in the GAB.:cuss::banghead::cuss:)

Perchance the same applies at this building?

stay safe.

skidmark

wylde007

imported post

skidmark wrote:
How could it? It was noted as a county building and individual counties and independent cities are prohibited from restricting carry in public facilities with the exception of courthouses.

I do not think you can carry into the secure area of a police station. I've seen signs in Virginia Beach, but carried into the 1st Precinct to file an affidavit/deposition with no problems.

I mean, I know you know what you're talking about generally, but I'm curious why you might think there is some comparison to be made:question:

TFred

imported post

Without checking any state code or any other primary sources for that matter, if I recall correctly, the General Assembly set up their own special rules for their office buildings.

Preemption should cover any areas of any other public buildings that are not specifically covered in the State Code (this is what I didn't check!)

Beyond that, I suspect any security measures are in place to dissuade the sheeple, and it would be very interesting to see what would happen if one were to try to question these procedures.

It may be as simple as shooting someone in Fairfax County an e-mail asking them to confirm their procedures are within the limits of the law... and politely noting that if they are not, they are potentially on the hook to cover attorneys fees for someone who may wish to challenge them! ;)

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

wylde007 wrote:
skidmark wrote:
How could it? It was noted as a county building and individual counties and independent cities are prohibited from restricting carry in public facilities with the exception of courthouses.

I do not think you can carry into the secure area of a police station. I've seen signs in Virginia Beach, but carried into the 1st Precinct to file an affidavit/deposition with no problems.

I mean, I know you know what you're talking about generally, but I'm curious why you might think there is some comparison to be made:question:

Sloppy typing - brain way ahead of my fingers.

You are correct - state law says they cannot - but that has not stopped them in the past and I'm sure they might try it again on the off chance nobody was looking.

Thank you for clarifying things, and for catching my goof.

stay safe.

skidmark

nova

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
skidmark wrote: I do not think you can carry into the secure area of a police station.
I thought that bill didn't pass.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

TFred wrote:
Without checking any state code or any other primary sources for that matter, if I recall correctly, the General Assembly set up their own special rules for their office buildings.............snip

TFred
It is not in the state code for the GAB - it was a joint resolution passed in 2004.

Yata hey

wylde007

imported post

nova wrote:
I thought that bill didn't pass.
In that case, the sign is/was wrong/illegal.

I wasn't going into the secure area, so it didn't really matter to me at the time.

However, under § 15.2-915 (which I believe is the "preemption" statute) there is a section which reads:

The provisions of this section applicable to a locality shall also apply to any authority or to a local governmental entity, including a department or agency, but not including any local or regional jail or juvenile detention facility.
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+15.2-915

So you may carry into a police station, but not the holding area, which is what I meant by "secure" area. I think that's what I was getting at.