• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW Permit Question

Jay

imported post

If you live in Vermont, but work in New Hampshire full time. Can you apply for a residential CCW in NH?

NewHampshireNative

imported post

No you can not. You live in Vermont and will have to apply for a non resident Concealed weapons permit. Why you trying to find away around paying the 100 dollars?

Jay

imported post

It would be nice to pay $20.00 instead of the $100.00 there are other licenses that you can pay the resident fee if you work full time within a different state that is why I was asking. If it can not be done then I will pay the $100.00

NewHampshireNative

imported post

20 dollars? If your talking about the old price for a non resident then yeah 20. But if your talking it it would be nice to pay 20 in regards to the resident permit i think you mean 10 dollars. As the resident permit is only 10 dollars.

Jay

imported post

$10.00 now wow I was thinking of the old price then oh well. Nice for the New Hampshire residents I guess.

KBCraig

imported post

Jay wrote:
$10.00 now wow I was thinking of the old price then oh well. Nice for the New Hampshire residents I guess.
The resident price has always been $10, and the resident license is issued by each town or city. The old $20 price was for the non-resident license, which is issued by the state police.

Jay

imported post

Ok thanks for the clarification but either way it will not matter cause I am not a resident, and will half to pay $100.00

KBCraig

imported post

Jay wrote:
Ok thanks for the clarification but either way it will not matter cause I am not a resident, and will half to pay $100.00
Yes, and that sucks. When the Dems took over the General Court, they spent a lot of money first, then started looking for how to pay for it all. Some genius looked at the non-res RPL and thought, "Hey, If we quintuple the price, we'll get five times the revenue! At no additional cost to the state!"

Thus is the level of understanding of free market forces amongst the statists. :banghead:

So, the result is that the state will get a tiny fraction of non-res renewals, and lose revenue. The only ones renewing (or applying for new licenses) will be those from neighboring states who are in NH often enough to make it worth the the money.

Are you in Vermont now, or still in CT? You might want to update your location in your profile settings. If you're still in CT, you'll need a CT license to get a non-res NH license. Vermonters are specifically excluded from that requirement (since VT doesn't issue a license), but they do require a letter from their chief of police. All other non-residents must have a license issued by their state of residence to get a non-res NH license.

Jay

imported post

I live in CT right now but not for long I will be moving to Vermont White River Junction area very shortly if my girlfriend gets hired at DHMC. I do not have my permit in CT cause I have only lived there a short time. My good friend has my firearms as he has a CT permit, and as soon as I establish residence in VT he will send them to an FFL and I will go pick them up.

KBCraig

imported post

If this is a new move, why not live east of the river and avoid the VT income tax? Lebanon is kind of pricey because of the school and hospital, but there are plenty of small towns in the area where you can find good housing. There's Enfield (hey, that's gun related!), or Grantham (Massad Ayoob is a reserve police officer!)

mvpel

imported post

KBCraig wrote:
All other non-residents must have a license issued by their state of residence to get a non-res NH license.
Thanks to the efforts of Rep. "Bick" Bicknell a few years ago on the Joint Legislative Committee on Administrative Rules, the license that must be to support a non-resident application in New Hampshire no longer must be issued by the applicant's state of residence, so it's now possible for residents of New Jersey or Chicago to get a New Hampshire non-resident license provided they first get, say, a Florida or Utah non-resident license.

KBCraig

imported post

mvpel wrote:
KBCraig wrote:
All other non-residents must have a license issued by their state of residence to get a non-res NH license.
Thanks to the efforts of Rep. "Bick" Bicknell a few years ago on the Joint Legislative Committee on Administrative Rules, the license that must be to support a non-resident application in New Hampshire no longer must be issued by the applicant's state of residence, so it's now possible for residents of New Jersey or Chicago to get a New Hampshire non-resident license provided they first get, say, a Florida or Utah non-resident license.

Aha, thanks. The RSA hasn't been changed, but I see the application says "...valid concealed carry permit issued by the state, county, or town in which you reside, or a valid concealed permit issued by any other state."

Leverdude

imported post

Jay wrote:
I live in CT right now but not for long I will be moving to Vermont White River Junction area very shortly if my girlfriend gets hired at DHMC. I do not have my permit in CT cause I have only lived there a short time. My good friend has my firearms as he has a CT permit, and as soon as I establish residence in VT he will send them to an FFL and I will go pick them up.

Theres no reason you cant have your own guns in your home in CT and no reason to deal with an FFL when you move. FFL's are for transfers, if they are your guns you own them already and are free to posess them in your home here as long as they are legal to own in CT. As well you are protected by federal law from prosecution passing through MA as long as you are legal in CT & VT.

Sounds like an aweful lot of hassle for nothing