• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying a large revolver

Is open carrying a S&W 460 revolver in a shouder holster too much?

• Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'd get a smaller gun

• I'd get a hip holster for it

• Total voters

Lthrnck

imported post

Hello from Ohio...

I have been on many Open Carry Walks, both educational and demonstrational. At almost all of these walks someone has been carrying a large caliber handgun or some sort. One guy shows up with his S&W Model 50 with the 10" barrel on it.

I think a person should carry what they feel comfortable carrying. I do think you should consider what the other poster said about the ammo and the penetration issue.

I carry a Beretta 92FS with Power-Ball ammo. I feel it's the middle of the road type caliber and should not present a huge obstacle in a court case if the opposing attonery trys to bring up the issue of "WHY DO YOU CARRY SUCH A LARGE CALIBER OF WEAPON..

That is just my personal thought folks ... so don't flame me for the caliber thing.. I'm an old Marine and I can hit what I shoot at with any caliber of firearm I pick up. I just prefer the 9mm.

Lthrnck

imported post

Hello from Ohio...

I have been on many Open Carry Walks, both educational and demonstrational. At almost all of these walks someone has been carrying a large caliber handgun or some sort. One guy shows up with his S&W Model 50 with the 10" barrel on it.

I think a person should carry what they feel comfortable carrying. I do think you should consider what the other poster said about the ammo and the penetration issue.

I carry a Beretta 92FS with Power-Ball ammo. I feel it's the middle of the road type caliber and should not present a huge obstacle in a court case if the opposing attonery trys to bring up the issue of "WHY DO YOU CARRY SUCH A LARGE CALIBER OF WEAPON..

That is just my personal thought folks ... so don't flame me for the caliber thing.. I'm an old Marine and I can hit what I shoot at with any caliber of firearm I pick up. I just prefer the 9mm.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Pyro01 wrote:
No, I haven't worn it yet in a non-hunting situation, mainly because I was concerned about this. My gun has a 6.5" barrel, so it's not the length of my arm or anything like that. That leather holster is freaking sweet, I should look into it. I like my shoulder holster setup, it can be a pain sometimes putting it on over a coat, but it distributes the weight nicely, and it looks good when carrying. I don't need a heavy duty belt when using a shoulder holster, it merely just needs to be able to reach my belt to keep it secured to my person. However, I've been looking for a hip holster as well, just so I can have the choice to use it if I want. All your responses is doing wonders for my confidence, I'm a pretty confident person, but I was just a little uneducated when it came to open carrying. Never saw anyone else talk about carrying a revolver, much less one that weighs nearly 5 pounds. It is comfortable for me to carry though, 5 pounds is nothing in the holster or my hand.

How long have you owned the 460?

Here's a thread about carrying a revolver:

Anybody Carry An N-Frame?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum5/32513.html

Pyro01

imported post

I've owned it for about 2 months now, anything I shoot in 45 colt with it I'm absolutely confident I can make the mark. However, that doesn't apply to SD situations as much, so all I can do is practice, practice, practice! If I ever get the chance to do some self-defence training, I'll do that as well.

protias

imported post

I don't see a problem with carrying your 460. I own a Raging Bull 454 and have been wanting to carry it since I got it a few months ago, but I don't have a holster for it (yet). I don't care what people's perception are of me. All they will see of me is a man with a firearm going about his business. I usually carry my XD45 because that is the firearm I practice most with and am a good shot.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

protias wrote:
All they will see of me is a man with a firearm going about his business.
We can hope that's what they'll see.

The majority of people won't react differently if they see a .454 or a Kel-Tec .380-- a majority probably won't even know the difference between the guns nor the difference of around 1600 foot pounds of muzzle energy. To them, it's a gun and either guns are evil or they're ok, or.... they're great!

Not sure I understand the eagerness to carry a .454 when you're already carrying a superior combat firearm with the XD. Perhaps you'll explain?

protias

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
protias wrote:

The majority of people won't react differently if they see a .454 or a Kel-Tec .380-- a majority probably won't even know the difference between the guns nor the difference of around 1600 foot pounds of muzzle energy. To them, it's a gun and either guns are evil or they're ok, or.... they're great!

Not sure I understand the eagerness to carry a .454 when you're already carrying a superior combat firearm with the XD. Perhaps you'll explain?
Just for something different. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my XD, but sometimes I just feel like carrying something different.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

protias wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
protias wrote:

Just for something different. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my XD, but sometimes I just feel like carrying something different.
Variety is the spice of life! Just be sure that you're not compromising security in order to be stylish.

protias

imported post

Shotgun wrote:
protias wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
protias wrote:

Variety is the spice of life! Just be sure that you're not compromising security in order to be stylish.
Well, the holster I am looking at is just over $100, so I don't think I'll be carrying the Raging Bull anytime soon. That and not having ammo for it yet....

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Shotgun wrote:
protias wrote:
Shotgun wrote:
protias wrote:

Good advice, IMHO.

Some people talk about carrying for show. Like carrying a500... or aSAA....or an AR pistol.....

There are hundreds of fine choices for a carry gun. Why not pick a good one?

Pyro01

imported post

Thanks for all the great info guys, this definitely helps. I'm going to find out how well a cowboy 45 colt load is compared to those cor-bons I intend to use, if the POI is real close, then I just found a round to practice with. In my area I can get a box of 50 rounds for about 30 bucks.