• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I'm from Utah, but i want to buy for my brother in WA.

UtahJarhead

imported post

I live in Utah, about a 10 hour drive from Spokane where my younger brother lives. Both him and I are former Marines and neither of us have a criminal record of any kind.

I have a Concealed Firearms Permit and I CC everywhere with a Ruger LCP. I do like it, even though the ammo's hard to find right now.

I want to pay for my younger brother to get his Concealed Firearms Permit and then to buy him a handgun, but I'm not sure how to handle this.

What's the procedure used to get a permit in WA? Do I just pay his instructor FOR him and then he just takes the class?

What about getting the weapon to him? Do I buy it and ship it to a shop with an FFL near him? Will he need to pass a background check (assuming he doesn't yet have his permit)? Would it be easier to purchase the gun at a shop near him over the phone so he can just come in and take care of the transfer?

What's the best way to handle this?

Boo Boo

Banned
imported post

in wash you just apply for the permit.

and the best way is to give him the money once you find the gun he wants.

since straw purchases are illegal.

thoughi dont see anything wrong with giving a family member a weapon. the govt likes to meddle and get into everyones buisness

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

The permit is the easy part. Washington does not have any mandatory instruction. You go down to the sheriff's office, pay the fee (Cash or check), get finger-printed, and assuming you are good to go, from0 to 30 dayslateryou have your permit.

Purchasing the gun may be another matter. It's complicated by federal regulations because you live in a different state. Gifts are legal, straw purchases are not.

I beleive this is what you would have to do: (IANAL so someone correct me if I'm wrong).

1. Purchase the gun of your choice in UTAH.

2. Inform the Gun Shop that it is a gift for your brother and pay to have it shipped to a gun dealer in Spokane.

3. The gun dealer in spokane will run the NICS and State checks on your brother and let him have the gun.

The concealedpistol permit does not exempt him from the NICS check, only from the 5 day waiting period.

UtahJarhead

imported post

gotcha. So shipping it to an FFL where they do the check is what's got to be done, then. How long is the check and how much does it cost on that side?

Right Wing Wacko

Campaign Veteran
imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
gotcha. So shipping it to an FFL where they do the check is what's got to be done, then. How long is the check and how much does it cost on that side?

The CPL takes 0 to 30 days.

The NICS check is instant.. usually. If he has his permit already, he can walk out with the gun. If he does not, he would have to wait 5 days.

The fee varies by dealer.. and I've seen it be anything from $10 to $100. Some places specialize in it, and some really don't like doing it and charge huge fees to avoid it. They would much rather sell him the gun themselves.

j2l3

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
The NICS check cost nothing. The transfer is what costs. Talk to the receiving FFL prior to shipping to find out what they charge for the transfer.

heresolong

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:

thoughi dont see anything wrong with giving a family member a weapon. the govt likes to meddle and get into everyones buisness
1) It isn't a straw purchase (by firearms law) if the gun is being transferred through an FFL. By definition he will have an NICS check performed.

2) It isn't a straw purchase (by firearms law) if the person receiving the gun is legally allowed to own a firearm, even if it doesn't go through NICS AND the firearm is being purchased as a gift. Since he would have just obtained his Washington CPL, he would have just completed a background check.

1245A Defender

imported post

Why dont you just go andbuy the gun he would like to recieve as a giftfrom you?

send him the money for him to pay for the CPL you would like to pay for?

Give the gun to him in person for christmas, all wrapped up real pertty!

to hell with all the crap about interstate transfers! FFLs! Background checks!

Youre a really good brother. Felis navidad!!!!

UtahJarhead

imported post

I *DO* like that idea, but 10 hour drive away. ;) Is it breaking any federal laws since I'm in Utah and he lives in WA?

UtahJarhead

imported post

k, so regardless FFL transfer is required to stay within the law. No problem. I'll do it that way, then. Easier than I thought...

give him the money for the CPL, send him the gun through a local FFL. Done.

Decoligny

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
in wash you just apply for the permit.

and the best way is to give him the money once you find the gun he wants.

It is not a straw purchase. A straw purchase is when you buy a gun for someone who cannot legally buy the gun themselves, or if you buy the gun claiming it is for yourself and intending to give it to someone else without jumping through the proper legal hoops.

If it is legal for the gift purchaser to buy the gun, and it would be legal for the gift receiver to buy the gun, then it is perfectly legal to buy a gun for someone else.

The downside is having to transfer the gun from the gift buyer to the gift receiver interstate. That will require going through an FFL under Federal Law.

Decoligny

imported post

2, 4, 5 A defender wrote:
Why dont you just go andbuy the gun he would like to recieve as a giftfrom you?

send him the money for him to pay for the CPL you would like to pay for?

Give the gun to him in person for christmas, all wrapped up real pertty!

to hell with all the crap about interstate transfers! FFLs! Background checks!

Youre a really good brother. Felis navidad!!!!

Are you STUPID? You are advising the OP to commit a Federal Crime.

If you just forgot to put the emoticon on the post to indicate that you post was a joke, then I apologize.

We DO NOT EVER advise ANYONE to break the law here. Civil Disobedience as a form of protest might be acceptable, because the individual performing the illegal act has the intention of being arrested i.e. the protest. However, disregarding and VIOLATING Federal Firearms laws out of a desire to not be inconvenienced is just wrong.

bcp

imported post

It is a "straw purchase" regardless of the other person being a restricted person or not. If you use their money to buy a gun, it is illegal.

But it is legal to buy a gun to give as a gift, as long as the person is legal. You are then using your money, not theirs.

If the gift recipient is a resident of a different state, the transfer must be through an FFL.

Bruce

From 4473 instructions:

1245A Defender

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas

thank you Boo Boo, for the backup!

it would take more than an emoticon to keep me from being stupid! shouldnt have writen such a plain idea about a gift to a brother, my fatherly advice was ill advised, legaly.

its note worthy that in Wa. you can legaly sell or give a gun to a stranger with no ID, no background check, no record, no recipt, no names.

Its a private transaction, and it stays private.

the gov makes laws to protect its own interests.

in my eyes, if a US Marine wants to give a gun to a US Marine, i say carry on!