• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Internal Open Carry Memo Sep 18 2009 Sunnyvale CA

Streetbikerr6

imported post

Theseus wrote:
What I don't understand is how they can tell me that I can't do with my personal property what I wish. . .

And the idea that if my iPod falls on the ground and the serial number is then removed or obliterated I am guilty of a crime? It seems to me that this is nothing more than a PC to charge a criminal with stolen property with a crime.

Oh, and the manufacturer would probably say something like. . . I don't care if you put tape over your guns serial number! It's your gun!
lol true, I think we should update the "new to oc" thread/videos etc to have any person contact the manufacturer and obtain an email allowing a hot glue gun of plastic over the serial number.

and your ipod example is very interesting. I doubt that would hold up in court if charged under that circumstance though

N6ATF

Banned

SomeGuyInCali

imported post

For those who couldn't access the memo...

This is the html version of the file http://www.opencarryradio.com/documents/Sunnyvale_California_Memo_18_Sep_09.pdf.
Google automatically generates html versions of documents as we crawl the web. [line][font="arial,sans-serif"] Page 1[/font] (10/13/2009) Marshal] Clifford - 09-227 Open Carry.doc Page 1 Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety DATE: September 18, 2009 TO: All Personnel FROM: Mark Stivers, Deputy Chief, Police Services SUBJECT: Unloaded Open Carry (UOC) Movement Recently we have had two Incidents where members of this movement have been reported to be carrying guns in public. Justifiably we all get nervous when a gun Is Introduced into the mix of any call. Safety for ourselves and the public is always our highest priority. However the law is very clear when addressing the specific circumstances for which someone may carry an unloaded gun In plain view in public. To be very clear this Is a constitutional right, a lawful act, and we as law enforcement professional must adjust our response accordingly. To be very frank I do not like the fact people can carry an unloaded gun In a holster in plain view In public. However the law says they can and we uphold the law. In fact the Constitution says they can and we all swore an oath to uphold and defend the constitution and that is the bottom line. We WILL adjust our response accordingly. The goal will be to balance our safety and the safety of others while still doing our job within the ¡aw so as to not violate anyone's rights and expose ourselves to criminal or civil litigation. Please read this LONG memo very carefully. We will be addressing this issue in the upcoming A/O cycle. The Unloaded Open Carry (UOC) movement began in 2004 and involves citizens exercising their right to carry unloaded firearms In plain view. In most cases you may find citizens carrying the firearms in a belt holster and the citizen may be in possession of ammunition. A group of citizens that freguent the website opencarry.org have previously been In our city and we have contacted them. I recommend you become familiar with the laws regarding this issue as I expect this will not be the only time we experience citizens openly carrying firearms. Operational considerations: You must keep in mind that these people may want to provoke an incident with you so they could potentially take civil action against the City for violating their rights. Recently, there was an open carry event in Sunnyvale. Sunnyvale DPS encountered the citizens [line][font="arial,sans-serif"] Page 2[/font] ( 10/13/2009} Marshall Clifford - 09-227 Open Carry.doc . Pa9e 2 and found them to be polite and respectful. However, they also found that many members had video recorders, audio recorders, and cameras. In addition, they had an attorney present. There were seven members present at the event, which was held at a Starbucks, but only two members were carrying firearms. The UOC enthusiasts most likely will not produce identification, if requested. It is their stance that they are complying with all laws and are not compelled to identify themselves. In short, Per the District Attorney's Office, there is no authority that we are aware of that requires them to identify themselves so do not enforce the 148 PC section solely under this circumstance. YOU CAN EXPECT: ■ Citizens carrying holstered firearms - Citizens in attendance will not identify themselves but you may request identification ■ UOC enthusiasts will know the law regarding carrying firearms • You will not be able to persuade the citizens to leave or put their firearms away ■ You will be recorded on video and / or audio • These citizens perceive themselves as law abiding people exercising their rights The following guidelines should be followed: We can INSPECT the weapon. They must comply. If not, arrest for 12031 (e). If the serial number is in plain view you may conduct a records check. You can arrest if 537(e) or 12O90 if applicable. You cannot search for the serial number. We can arrest if within 1000 feet of school if it is reasonable that the subject knows or should have known they are within 1000 feet. See 626.9 PC below. If it does not meet those criteria, then admonish regarding the 1000 feet. This situation is now a reasonable lawful detention to further identify the person as there may be a crime that has occurred. Use your discretion and take appropriate investigative steps. Absent any other reasonable suspicions or articulable facts, we cannot arrest for failure to provide I.D. Dispatchers Dispatch will process the calls using current procedures. However upon receiving a phone call regarding people openly carrying firearms, they will obtain as much information as possible about the demeanor, behavior, and activities of the people carrying the firearms to help everyone determine if this is an "open carry" situation. Dispatch will confirm that there is no brandishing, assault, or other unlawful activity is in progress. They will confirm whether or not the firearms are concealed and the location of the firearms. Typical information such as information regarding the Reporting Person, descriptions, does the caller have any safety concerns, etc. will be gathered and relayed to the Officers. The intent is to not change our current practices/procedures of how we gather information or what information to gather, rather try to drill in further to determine if this is an open carry" type call or a "man with a gun" type call. Obviously this information is critical to determine the appropriate tactics. A supervisor shall be assigned to all open carry or man with a gun calls. [line][font="arial,sans-serif"] Page 3[/font] (10/13/2009) Marshall Clifford - 09-227 Open Carry.doc Supervisors Ensure your officers are familiar with state laws regarding the carrying of firearms. Please share training material, which includes videos you may find at youtube.com. Other related documents have also been posted on the J Drive in the folder Open Carry. I want to stress that we want this to be a brief, unobtrusive interaction as we do not have the right to detain anyone beyond inspecting firearms. Officers should be carrying a digital audio recorder and MVAR to record the event. Supervisors may deviate from these recommendations if there are circumstances present which require a differing response. Officers are expected to appropriately assess each situation and respond in a safe manner that respects the citizens' rights. These types of contacts are difficult in the sense that you will be using different contact tactics that you may otherwise use in a situation involving a person with a gun that has other extenuating circumstances. We are required to respect the rights of others and impartially enforce the law. Demonstrate the utmost professionalism in your conduct. Assess the situation and monitor the subjects prior to making contact. Use 'contact and cover while interacting with the citizens. Clear verbal commands regarding the weapon inspection should be given with the Officer retrieving the weapon from the holster. If possible I would like a supervisor present when contact is made with the individuals or group. Related Penal Code sections and Other Information ■ PC § 12025(f) states, "Firearms carried openly in belt holsters are not concealed within the meaning of this section." In other words, in order for a citizen to be in possession of a concealed firearm on his / her person [PC § 12025(a)(2)] the firearm must be concealed. * PC § 12031(g) states, "A firearm shall be deemed to be loaded for the purposes of this section when there is an unexpended cartridge or shell consisting of a case that holds a charge of powder and a bullet or shot, in or attached in any manner to, the firearm, including, but not limited to, in the firing chamber, magazine, or clip thereof attached to the firearm; except that a muzzle-loader firearm shall be deemed to be loaded when it is capped or primed and has a powder charge and ball or shot in the barrel or cylinder." In People v. Clark (1996), the court held even though ammunition was in close proximity to a firearm the firearm was not considered "loaded" since it was not yet [line][font="arial,sans-serif"] Page 4[/font] (10/13/2009) Marshall Clifford - 09-227 OpenCarry.doc _.^^______ _- Page 4 placed in a firing position. As a result, citizens may lawfully carry ammunition on their person when they are carrying an unloaded firearm in a belt holster and the firearm is not concealed. • PC § 12031(e) states, "In order to determine whether or not a firearm is loaded for the purpose of enforcing this section, peace officers are authorized to examine any firearm carried by anyone on his or her person or in a vehicle while in any public place or on any public street in an incorporated city or prohibited area of an unincorporated territory. Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect a firearm pursuant to this section constitutes probable cause for arrest for violation of this section." ■ PC § 626.9 makes it unlawful to possess a firearm within 1,000 feet of any public or private school. There are exceptions to this rule when transporting a firearm. (FEL/MISD) Please note: The only 2 Starbucks Coffee that are within 1000 feet of a school are Mary/Washington and ECR/Poplar. It is suggested that a quick conversation to determine if the person knows there is a school nearby would be needed to establish the elements of 629.9 PC . PC § 537e (a) Any person who knowingly buys, sells, receives, disposes of, conceals, or has in his or her possession any personal property from which the manufacturer's serial number, identification number, electronic serial number, or any other distinguishing number, or identification mark, has been removed, defaced, covered, altered, or destroyed, is guilty of a public offense. (MISD) . PC § 12090 Tampering with marks on firearms. It is illegal to possess a firearm in which the serial number has been altered, covered, or obliterated. (FEL) In reviewing the multiple court cases that discuss the Open Carry issue, it appears that the actions of police extend to: 1 ) A check of the firearm to determine if it is loaded pursuant to PC 12031 (e), 2) The serial number of the firearm can only be run if you happen to see it during the PC 12031 (e) check. But you cannot search for the serial number, People v DeLong (1970) 11 Cal.App.3d 786. 3) Once the firearm is determined to be unloaded, there is no further law enforcement action called for. a. While Hibei v Sixth Judicial District allows for a demand for I.D., this case was in Nevada which has a "Stop and i.D." statute. California has no requirement for I.D., so the question of identifying someone is not clear. The Santa Clara District Attorney position is not to detain or arrest for failure to provide I.D. b. U.S. Supreme Court held that law enforcement cannot stop and frisk a citizen based solely on an anonymous tip describing oniy innocent behavior and which also does not sufficiently predict the future actions of a subject. Florida v J.L. 529 U.S. 266 (2000). c. U.S. Supreme Court Arizona v Hicks 480 U.S. 321 (1987), held that the 4* Amendment requires the police to have probable cause to search items in plain view.

mramoneda

imported post

Ok, I just saw the news piece (Ace, I'm sorry that they clipped your conversation to make the movement look bad). I've never participated and I want to. I live in Santa Clara County. Where do I sign up? Where does everyone meet? Where can I get info? I feel that we must use the second amendment or we'll lose it and I want to join in.

clutchcargo

imported post

4th amendment

on oct. 16 2009 ,I was stopped at gun piont, for 12031. i usually ride my bike, my holster is on my left side, two other officer responded, with sirens and light on, listen to command of officer, hands on top of my helmet, get off of bike, kneel down, handcuffed,(officer safety) they were polite, and explained to what was goiing as to what they were doing , they gently help me to my feet, walked me to their car, removed my 1911 a-1 removed my two loaded magazine from my magazine pouch, asked me if my gun was loaded, while handcuffed reholsted my 1911-a1 and asked me which magazine clip was in gun, I told them that the empty clip was in the gun and the two loaded clip were in the pouch

i carry 14 rounds 7 in each clip,nov. 22 2009 ,today I changed out the rounds to two other clip, reason due to spring tension, I only had 5 rounds in each clip, i checked my enventory of rounds from the box, there were 14 empty slots i am short 4 rounds, at this point it is longer an issue, how ever , i have learned that i need to inventory, from what they have removed from my person and returned while in their presence, question is, was my 4th amendment right violated when they removed my magazines? or is it a validated officer safety issue?

BOLTAction

imported post

Streetbikerr6
We have trouble in Folsom, too.

One motorcycle officer seems to think you have to have his permission to use a digital recorder to record your traffic stop. I am planning to talk this over with one of his Supervisors this week. I was riding my motorcycle through Folsom a week ago and was stopped for an alleged helmet violation. He said Iam not allowed by law to make my own helmet. (no probable cause, etc. no ticket was written) But during the stop one of the back-up officers (after being recorded for 8 minutes) decided I didn't have his permission and was going to "take me to jail" if I didn't turn it off.

I am taking the Sunnyvale PDmemo with me in case that comes up, too.

I will let you know how the Supervisor meeting turns out.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

clutchcargo wrote:
question is, was my 4th amendment right violated when they removed my magazines? or is it a validated officer safety issue?
In my opinion, any 12031(e) check is a violation of our fourth amendment right to be free from unreasonable seizures. Terry v. Ohio states that any detention requires reasonable and articulable suspicion to exist. 12031(e) steps around that decision by inventing a new "inspection" item which the Supreme Court would undoubtedly scoff at.

That aside, I would say when you were handcuffed, your fourth amendment rights were violated. An inspection of a handgun doesn't require a person to be handcuffed. Seizing your magazines does nothing to further their 12031(e) inspection since magazines have nothing to do with the inspection, so a further violation of your rights occurred there. The missing ammo is strange though, I'm not sure why they'd take two rounds from each mag. I guess if they really did take it then that'd be a violation of the fourth too.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

clutchcargo wrote:
4th amendment

on oct. 16 2009 ,I was stopped at gun piont, for 12031. i usually ride my bike, my holster is on my left side, two other officer responded, with sirens and light on, listen to command of officer, hands on top of my helmet, get off of bike, kneel down, handcuffed,(officer safety) they were polite, and explained to what was goiing as to what they were doing , they gently help me to my feet, walked me to their car, removed my 1911 a-1 removed my two loaded magazine from my magazine pouch, asked me if my gun was loaded, while handcuffed reholsted my 1911-a1 and asked me which magazine clip was in gun, I told them that the empty clip was in the gun and the two loaded clip were in the pouch

i carry 14 rounds 7 in each clip,nov. 22 2009 ,today I changed out the rounds to two other clip, reason due to spring tension, I only had 5 rounds in each clip, i checked my enventory of rounds from the box, there were 14 empty slots i am short 4 rounds, at this point it is longer an issue, how ever , i have learned that i need to inventory, from what they have removed from my person and returned while in their presence, question is, was my 4th amendment right violated when they removed my magazines? or is it a validated officer safety issue?
I would get this documented ASAP. It would suck if your spent casings (with your fingerprints probably still on them) ended up at a crime scene. Very remote possibility, unless a corrupt cop gets ahold of them and is out to get you... but in any case, better safe than sorry.

Further, the theft needs to be reported. Due to how long it took you to notice, it's pretty unlikely that the criminal(s) will be brought to justice. However, if they steal once, they probably do it often.

Finally, here's your well-deserved lecture...

Always check over your property when it is returned to you after being seized! Did you check the chamber to make sure they didn't load your weapon before returning it to you? Also, check for any damage. If for some reason an item is missing, demand a receipt for it. If they refuse, immediately call their station officer and report the theft. Follow up by reporting the crime to the FBI.

(When I was detained by Turlock PD, they performed a similar "hot stop". When my firearm was returned, one of the rounds had been removed from one of the mags, but was returned to me separate- pretty sure they just chambered because they thought the could get me on some charge if the ammo fit the gun. They also managed to scratch the finish on my brand new gun...)

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Update on the Public Records Request.

As a bit of "house keeping" I went back and filed a follow up records request, this time scooping up a copy of the "open carry" folder on the departments "J Drive" (a network accessible drive). It was mentioned in the memo as a place of reference for the officers.

In it:
  • A copy of the SDPS memo on UOC (dated Sep-18-2009)
    A copy of the DA's one-minute-brief (dated Dec-23-2008)
    A_Pocket_review_of_California_Penal_Code_6th_Revision[1].doc (lifted from californiaopencarry.org)
    A copy of People vs. James Edward Knight
    California open carriers letter.doc (a template letter sent to police chiefs and sheriffs by UOCers
    CA Peace Officers Association's memo (dated 4-Dec-2008)
    An "End of Watch" statement the responding officer to this encounter ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3mF7opZ_sI ) sent to himself and possibly others. I've attached this one.
    A copy of "open carry guidlines.pdf" (lifted from californiaopencarry.org)
    Police Chief Magazine article "Chief’s Counsel: Responding to Gun Possession Reports By John M. Collins
    "St.John_v_Alamogordo_Police_Order.pdf" The New Mexico open carry case.
    "Sunnyvale Starbucks 072509.pdf" which is a printed copy of this thread http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=28830 Notice one poster's comments wanting to know if a lawyer would be present were later twisted to make us seem sue-happy.

AIC869

imported post

bad_ace wrote:
SNIP
  • An "End of Watch" statement the responding officer to this encounter ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3mF7opZ_sI ) sent to himself and possibly others. I've attached this one.
    A copy of "open carry guidlines.pdf" (lifted from californiaopencarry.org)
From the attachment -

"...A pocket guide that the Open Carry Movement provides it members on the penal codes so you can see what they think the laws are..." [emphasis added]

Funny. I wasn't aware it was a "movement." I thought it was just people following the law. That "fad" of kids wearing those newfangled music contraptions must be a movement, too. Better keep a watchful eye on them - there may be something afoot. As for "what they think the laws are," I guess when they read English left-to-right, top-to-bottom, it means something entirely different than when an ordinary law-abider reads it. Shame on those ordinary peasants for knowing the law...

Good on the Deputy Chief for trying to get the word out, but for those members of his force who would view the public as infringing on what they may view as "their privilege," guys - go find some real criminals to shake down. We gave you your jobs.