Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: November San Diego Meetup

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    I would like to explore the possibility of volunteering our time in Nov. I am going to be making some phone calls to the usual volunteer organizations this week but if you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

    I would like to keep this purely for helping the community (while UOCing).
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Vista, California, USA
    Posts
    516

    Post imported post

    If it can be done during the week, I can be there. I'm tied up at the Farmers market in Vista on Saturdays 'til noon and 2:00 in Bonsall on Sundays.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SAN DIEGO, ,
    Posts
    66

    Post imported post

    count me in!

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lemon Grove, Ca.
    Posts
    137

    Post imported post

    keep me informed and ill try and attend (on time this time) lol
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."
    - Dave Gell (inspired by author David Weber)

    "The tragic history of civilian disarmament cries a warning against any systematic attempts to render innocent citizens ill-equipped to defend themselves from tyrant terrorists, despots or oppressive majorities,"
    - Daniel Schmutter

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    Does anyone have any ideas? I sent an email to habitat for humanity but have gotten no response yet. I'll call them tomorrow.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lemon Grove, Ca.
    Posts
    137

    Post imported post

    Honestly the only thing I've ever been volunteered at is a couch for the special Olympics and we had a no weapons policy not even pocket knives for obvious reasons. im not sure cause alot of places we could volunteer we cant carry for this reason or that cause of penal codes and what not
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."
    - Dave Gell (inspired by author David Weber)

    "The tragic history of civilian disarmament cries a warning against any systematic attempts to render innocent citizens ill-equipped to defend themselves from tyrant terrorists, despots or oppressive majorities,"
    - Daniel Schmutter

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    SAN DIEGO, ,
    Posts
    66

    Post imported post

    Time and place and I am in.

  8. #8
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    405

    Post imported post

    Chrisc411 wrote:
    Honestly the only thing I've ever been volunteered at is a couch for the special Olympics and we had a no weapons policy not even pocket knives for obvious reasons. im not sure cause alot of places we could volunteer we cant carry for this reason or that cause of penal codes and what not
    The reasons don't appear obvious to me, could you elaborate?

  9. #9
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    Chrisc411 wrote:
    Honestly the only thing I've ever been volunteered at is a couch for the special Olympics and we had a no weapons policy not even pocket knives for obvious reasons. im not sure cause alot of places we could volunteer we cant carry for this reason or that cause of penal codes and what not
    Don't understand the obvious reasons.

    Is it common practice for the athletes, or anyone elseto be reaching into your pockets? How would they know you had a pocket knife?

    How about a small folding knife on a cord around your neck worn under your shirt? Unless they have metal detectors, they will never know it is there.

    I for one have been in situations where the lack of a knife would have meant someone died. Specifically, in Florida, there was a multiple vehicle crash, a van was involved with an infant in asafety seat. The adults were able to get out of the van, but the side impact caused the safety seat buckle to be inaccessable. I used my knife to cut the seatbelt and remove the safety seat. The van was filled with smoke from an electrical fire under the dashby the time I got the child and the seat out. About two minutes later the front of the van was on fire.

    If someplace has a "policy" of no knives, I usually ignore it. If it is the law, I will begrudgingly abide by it.

    At the very least I carry this on my dogtag chain. It is a little razor sharp blade that noboby with an ounce of brains could take to be a weapon.



  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lemon Grove, Ca.
    Posts
    137

    Post imported post

    It's was mainly for the athletes if they saw us having one they might try to bring one or what not, and no they didnt search us it was just asked that we didnt have them especially on outta town gatherings where we'd have to share rooms. there were incidents in the past with pocket knives so thats why they asked not to have them or if you did to keep them not visible. More like a lack of temptation kinda thing im guessing. It really didnt stop most of of us from having one they were just mostly discouraged. and when i said obvious reasons i meant it as some of our athletes had trouble distinguishing between right and wrong.
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."
    - Dave Gell (inspired by author David Weber)

    "The tragic history of civilian disarmament cries a warning against any systematic attempts to render innocent citizens ill-equipped to defend themselves from tyrant terrorists, despots or oppressive majorities,"
    - Daniel Schmutter

  11. #11
    Regular Member Decoligny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rosamond, California, USA
    Posts
    1,865

    Post imported post

    Chrisc411 wrote:
    It's was mainly for the athletes if they saw us having one they might try to bring one or what not, and no they didnt search us it was just asked that we didnt have them especially on outta town gatherings where we'd have to share rooms. there were incidents in the past with pocket knives so thats why they asked not to have them or if you did to keep them not visible. More like a lack of temptation kinda thing im guessing. It really didnt stop most of of us from having one they were just mostly discouraged. and when i said obvious reasons i meant it as some of our athletes had trouble distinguishing between right and wrong.
    I can see your point, and in that situation, I would have gone with either electrical tape to sandwich the micron between my dogtags, or put the micron in my wallet.

    Nota self defense issue at all,I just like to alway have a cutting tool available.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    Well I have contacted several places and our firearms are welcome at none of them.

    The idea of visiting the USS Midway has been tossed around a couple times. Would anyone like to go tour the Midway? http://www.midway.org/


    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  13. #13
    State Pioneer ConditionThree's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Shasta County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,231

    Post imported post

    chewy352 wrote:
    Well I have contacted several places and our firearms are welcome at none of them.

    The idea of visiting the USS Midway has been tossed around a couple times. Would anyone like to go tour the Midway? http://www.midway.org/

    Caution; two possible issues here.

    1) Is the museum a location where State or local employees conduct their business? If so, it would be eliminated as a venue because of 171b. It would be considered a "public building".

    2) Is the museum a location where teachers and students are present for the purpose of education. If so, it may be a problem because of 626.9
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...

    NA MALE SUBJ ON FOOT, LS NB 3 AGO HAD A HOLSTERED HANDGUN ON HIS RIGHT HIP. WAS NOT BRANDISHING THE WEAPON, BUT RP FOUND SUSPICIOUS.
    CL SUBJ IN COMPLIANCE WITH LAW


    Support the 2A in California - Shop Amazon for any item and up to 15% of all purchases go back to the Calguns Foundation. Enter through either of the following links
    www.calgunsfoundation.org/amazon
    www.shop42a.com

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    ConditionThree wrote:
    chewy352 wrote:
    Well I have contacted several places and our firearms are welcome at none of them.

    The idea of visiting the USS Midway has been tossed around a couple times. Would anyone like to go tour the Midway? http://www.midway.org/

    Caution; two possible issues here.

    1) Is the museum a location where State or local employees conduct their business? If so, it would be eliminated as a venue because of 171b. It would be considered a "public building".

    2) Is the museum a location where teachers and students are present for the purpose of education. If so, it may be a problem because of 626.9
    The Museum is a not for profit Organization and is not a school.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  15. #15
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    chewy352 wrote:
    The Museum is a not for profit Organization and is not a school.
    Even though it is not a publicly owned/operated building or a school, the devil is in the details.

    171b covers any building owned or leased by the govt, where government employees regularly conduct business. So let's say for some reason the city owns the building, but the non-profit actually administers the museum, but the city still employs someone who works within the building regularly... then it would be included.

    Similarly, 626.9 includes any place where a teacher and more than one student meet regularly for educational purposes. Now, it will be up to a jury (with the help of a judge's instructions) to determine what "regularly" means... I'm guessing museums don't have students daily, but surely they host "field trips" frequently. Let's say I wouldn't risk my life/liberty on the jury's interpretation of the statute.

    (citation)
    Code:
    626.  (a) As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:
    
    ...
    
    (4) "School" means ... or any other place if a teacher and one or more
    pupils are required to be at that place in connection with assigned
    school activities.
    (ETA: reading 626.9, i'm not sure these places would qualify, so carrying within 1,000 feet may be legal, if the place is not actual school grounds. However, carry within those buildings would still be prohibited. I'm too tired to be sure I'm reading it right; someone double-check me...)
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Gundude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sandy Eggo County
    Posts
    1,691

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    chewy352 wrote:
    The Museum is a not for profit Organization and is not a school.
    Even though it is not a publicly owned/operated building or a school, the devil is in the details.

    171b covers any building owned or leased by the govt, where government employees regularly conduct business. So let's say for some reason the city owns the building, but the non-profit actually administers the museum, but the city still employs someone who works within the building regularly... then it would be included.

    Similarly, 626.9 includes any place where a teacher and more than one student meet regularly for educational purposes. Now, it will be up to a jury (with the help of a judge's instructions) to determine what "regularly" means... I'm guessing museums don't have students daily, but surely they host "field trips" frequently. Let's say I wouldn't risk my life/liberty on the jury's interpretation of the statute.

    (citation)
    Code:
    626. (a) As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:
    
    ...
    
    (4) "School" means ... or any other place if a teacher and one or more
    pupils are required to be at that place in connection with assigned
    school activities.
    (ETA: reading 626.9, i'm not sure these places would qualify, so carrying within 1,000 feet may be legal, if the place is not actual school grounds. However, carry within those buildings would still be prohibited. I'm too tired to be sure I'm reading it right; someone double-check me...)
    According to 626, the key word is "required". It's been some time since I was involved in any school activities, but I seem to remember that permission from a parent was required to attend a field trip. If we go on a weekend, field trips would not seem to be in the works.

    Another thing comes to mind. What if we aren't allowed on board the ship. Would we end up standing on the pier and having lunch from a roach coach? Maybe a secondary location should be in the works.
    A citizen may not be required to offer a ―good and substantial reason-- why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The right‘s existence is all the reason he needs.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    A secondary location is a must. I'm going to drive down there tomorrow and find a restaurant or something that we can easily walk to from the ship.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Marcos, California, USA
    Posts
    73

    Post imported post

    Anthony's Fish Grotto is just down the street, about a 5 minute walk. I don't know about anyone else's thought, but with another shooting up in Oregon today, I think a visual statement needs to be made about the right to carry openly for our own personal protection. Criminals and Terrorist with Guns Kill innocent people, Not Law Abiding Citizens'! Ok, blast away (verbally) at me if you think i'm wrong.

  19. #19
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    San Diego, California, USA
    Posts
    1

    Post imported post

    Hey Everyone,

    I'm brand new to opencarry.org (don't even have my gun yet) but I wanted to say hi and say that I'm glad we have people organizing here in San Diego. I'd love to come out and support an open carry event even if I don't have my gun before it happens.

    I really like the idea of incorporating OC with some type of community service or volunteer work. I've been doing a lot of reading with various articles and forum postings, and it seems to me that most productive OC event is one that actively sways public opinion by associating it with something positive. Maybe go downtown and feed the homeless or something?

    As a side question, I know most people use belt holsters because of their specific reference in statute, but what are peoples' takes on shoulder holsters???

  20. #20
    State Researcher
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Stanislaus County, California, USA
    Posts
    2,586

    Post imported post

    _Bane_ wrote:
    ...As a side question, I know most people use belt holsters because of their specific reference in statute, but what are peoples' takes on shoulder holsters???
    Welcome!

    Any exposed holster is legal. However, exposed belt holsters are specifically listed in PC12025 as being exempt.

    I think most of us use belt holsters simply because they're more available. I don't think I've ever seen a shoulder holster at any gun shop I've been in, but they had plenty of belt holsters I could try on. Maybe shoulder holsters are better, but I'd have to buy one online to try it out... too much trouble.
    Participant in the Free State Project - "Liberty in Our Lifetime" - www.freestateproject.org
    Supporter of the CalGuns Foundation - http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/
    Supporter of the Madison Society - www.madison-society.org


    Don't Tread On Me.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Harrah, Oklahoma
    Posts
    769

    Post imported post

    Well i just found out that the USS Midway is still owned by the Navy so I think its out of the question but we could still meet in Tuna Harbor Park and walk the boardwalk.

    I will post a new thread with date and time.
    New to OPEN CARRY in California? Click and read this first...
    Stolen from ConditionThree because it can't be stressed enough.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    San Marcos, California, USA
    Posts
    73

    Post imported post

    CA_Libertarian wrote:
    _Bane_ wrote:
    ...As a side question, I know most people use belt holsters because of their specific reference in statute, but what are peoples' takes on shoulder holsters???
    Welcome!

    Any exposed holster is legal. However, exposed belt holsters are specifically listed in PC12025 as being exempt.

    I think most of us use belt holsters simply because they're more available. I don't think I've ever seen a shoulder holster at any gun shop I've been in, but they had plenty of belt holsters I could try on. Maybe shoulder holsters are better, but I'd have to buy one online to try it out... too much trouble.
    I just bought this great leg holster for my 45 Ruger, and it was the most comfortable way i've ever carried my gun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •