• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

November San Diego Meetup

chewy352

imported post

I would like to explore the possibility of volunteering our time in Nov. I am going to be making some phone calls to the usual volunteer organizations this week but if you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

I would like to keep this purely for helping the community (while UOCing).

yelohamr

imported post

If it can be done during the week, I can be there. I'm tied up at the Farmers market in Vista on Saturdays 'til noon and 2:00 in Bonsall on Sundays.

chewy352

imported post

Does anyone have any ideas? I sent an email to habitat for humanity but have gotten no response yet. I'll call them tomorrow.

Chrisc411

imported post

Honestly the only thing I've ever been volunteered at is a couch for the special Olympics and we had a no weapons policy not even pocket knives for obvious reasons. im not sure cause alot of places we could volunteer we cant carry for this reason or that cause of penal codes and what not

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Chrisc411 wrote:
Honestly the only thing I've ever been volunteered at is a couch for the special Olympics and we had a no weapons policy not even pocket knives for obvious reasons. im not sure cause alot of places we could volunteer we cant carry for this reason or that cause of penal codes and what not
The reasons don't appear obvious to me, could you elaborate?

Decoligny

imported post

Chrisc411 wrote:

Don't understand the obvious reasons.

Is it common practice for the athletes, or anyone elseto be reaching into your pockets? How would they know you had a pocket knife?

How about a small folding knife on a cord around your neck worn under your shirt? Unless they have metal detectors, they will never know it is there.

I for one have been in situations where the lack of a knife would have meant someone died. Specifically, in Florida, there was a multiple vehicle crash, a van was involved with an infant in asafety seat. The adults were able to get out of the van, but the side impact caused the safety seat buckle to be inaccessable. I used my knife to cut the seatbelt and remove the safety seat. The van was filled with smoke from an electrical fire under the dashby the time I got the child and the seat out. About two minutes later the front of the van was on fire.

If someplace has a "policy" of no knives, I usually ignore it. If it is the law, I will begrudgingly abide by it.

At the very least I carry this on my dogtag chain. It is a little razor sharp blade that noboby with an ounce of brains could take to be a weapon.

KV-SOG-MICRON.jpg

Chrisc411

imported post

It's was mainly for the athletes if they saw us having one they might try to bring one or what not, and no they didnt search us it was just asked that we didnt have them especially on outta town gatherings where we'd have to share rooms. there were incidents in the past with pocket knives so thats why they asked not to have them or if you did to keep them not visible. More like a lack of temptation kinda thing im guessing. It really didnt stop most of of us from having one they were just mostly discouraged. and when i said obvious reasons i meant it as some of our athletes had trouble distinguishing between right and wrong.

Decoligny

imported post

Chrisc411 wrote:
It's was mainly for the athletes if they saw us having one they might try to bring one or what not, and no they didnt search us it was just asked that we didnt have them especially on outta town gatherings where we'd have to share rooms. there were incidents in the past with pocket knives so thats why they asked not to have them or if you did to keep them not visible. More like a lack of temptation kinda thing im guessing. It really didnt stop most of of us from having one they were just mostly discouraged. and when i said obvious reasons i meant it as some of our athletes had trouble distinguishing between right and wrong.

I can see your point, and in that situation, I would have gone with either electrical tape to sandwich the micron between my dogtags, or put the micron in my wallet.

Nota self defense issue at all,I just like to alway have a cutting tool available.

chewy352

imported post

Well I have contacted several places and our firearms are welcome at none of them.

The idea of visiting the USS Midway has been tossed around a couple times. Would anyone like to go tour the Midway? http://www.midway.org/

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

chewy352 wrote:
Well I have contacted several places and our firearms are welcome at none of them.

The idea of visiting the USS Midway has been tossed around a couple times. Would anyone like to go tour the Midway? http://www.midway.org/

Caution; two possible issues here.

1) Is the museum a location where State or local employees conduct their business? If so, it would be eliminated as a venue because of 171b. It would be considered a "public building".

2) Is the museum a location where teachers and students are present for the purpose of education. If so, it may be a problem because of 626.9

chewy352

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
chewy352 wrote:

Caution; two possible issues here.

1) Is the museum a location where State or local employees conduct their business? If so, it would be eliminated as a venue because of 171b. It would be considered a "public building".

2) Is the museum a location where teachers and students are present for the purpose of education. If so, it may be a problem because of 626.9
The Museum is a not for profit Organization and is not a school.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

chewy352 wrote:
Even though it is not a publicly owned/operated building or a school, the devil is in the details.

171b covers any building owned or leased by the govt, where government employees regularly conduct business. So let's say for some reason the city owns the building, but the non-profit actually administers the museum, but the city still employs someone who works within the building regularly... then it would be included.

Similarly, 626.9 includes any place where a teacher and more than one student meet regularly for educational purposes. Now, it will be up to a jury (with the help of a judge's instructions) to determine what "regularly" means... I'm guessing museums don't have students daily, but surely they host "field trips" frequently. Let's say I wouldn't risk my life/liberty on the jury's interpretation of the statute.

(citation)
Code:
626.  (a) As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:

(4) "School" means ... or any other place if a teacher and one or more
pupils are required to be at that place in connection with assigned
school activities.
(ETA: reading 626.9, i'm not sure these places would qualify, so carrying within 1,000 feet may be legal, if the place is not actual school grounds. However, carry within those buildings would still be prohibited. I'm too tired to be sure I'm reading it right; someone double-check me...)

Gundude

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
chewy352 wrote:
Even though it is not a publicly owned/operated building or a school, the devil is in the details.

171b covers any building owned or leased by the govt, where government employees regularly conduct business. So let's say for some reason the city owns the building, but the non-profit actually administers the museum, but the city still employs someone who works within the building regularly... then it would be included.

Similarly, 626.9 includes any place where a teacher and more than one student meet regularly for educational purposes. Now, it will be up to a jury (with the help of a judge's instructions) to determine what "regularly" means... I'm guessing museums don't have students daily, but surely they host "field trips" frequently. Let's say I wouldn't risk my life/liberty on the jury's interpretation of the statute.

(citation)
Code:
626. (a) As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:

(4) "School" means ... or any other place if a teacher and one or more
pupils are required to be at that place in connection with assigned
school activities.
(ETA: reading 626.9, i'm not sure these places would qualify, so carrying within 1,000 feet may be legal, if the place is not actual school grounds. However, carry within those buildings would still be prohibited. I'm too tired to be sure I'm reading it right; someone double-check me...)

According to 626, the key word is "required". It's been some time since I was involved in any school activities, but I seem to remember that permission from a parent was required to attend a field trip. If we go on a weekend, field trips would not seem to be in the works.

Another thing comes to mind. What if we aren't allowed on board the ship. Would we end up standing on the pier and having lunch from a roach coach? Maybe a secondary location should be in the works.

chewy352

imported post

A secondary location is a must. I'm going to drive down there tomorrow and find a restaurant or something that we can easily walk to from the ship.

CREWDAD

imported post

Anthony's Fish Grotto is just down the street, about a 5 minute walk. I don't know about anyone else's thought, but with another shooting up in Oregon today, I think a visual statement needs to be made about the right to carry openly for our own personal protection. Criminals and Terrorist with Guns Kill innocent people, Not Law Abiding Citizens'! Ok, blast away (verbally) at me if you think i'm wrong.

_Bane_

imported post

Hey Everyone,

I'm brand new to opencarry.org (don't even have my gun yet) but I wanted to say hi and say that I'm glad we have people organizing here in San Diego. I'd love to come out and support an open carry event even if I don't have my gun before it happens.

I really like the idea of incorporating OC with some type of community service or volunteer work. I've been doing a lot of reading with various articles and forum postings, and it seems to me that most productive OC event is one that actively sways public opinion by associating it with something positive. Maybe go downtown and feed the homeless or something?

As a side question, I know most people use belt holsters because of their specific reference in statute, but what are peoples' takes on shoulder holsters???

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

_Bane_ wrote:
...As a side question, I know most people use belt holsters because of their specific reference in statute, but what are peoples' takes on shoulder holsters???
Welcome!

Any exposed holster is legal. However, exposed belt holsters are specifically listed in PC12025 as being exempt.

I think most of us use belt holsters simply because they're more available. I don't think I've ever seen a shoulder holster at any gun shop I've been in, but they had plenty of belt holsters I could try on. Maybe shoulder holsters are better, but I'd have to buy one online to try it out... too much trouble.