• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Questions regarding the delays in processing Permit Applications

Edward Peruta

imported post

[align=center]State and Federal Criminal History Background checks[/b][/align]

[align=center]QUESTIONS IF YOUR APPLICATION IS BEING DELAYED[/align]

[align=left]During the process of applying for a Temporary Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers, who[/b] requests or applies for the State and Federal Criminal History Records Background Check, the applicant or your department?

Does your department have the equipment, (IAFIS),[/b] necessary to conduct a prompt and timely State and Federal Criminal History Background Check on applicants who apply for Temporary State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers?

Does your department currently have the capability[/b] to do a State and Federal Criminal History Background Check without taking the fingerprints of an applicant?

Can an applicant for a Temporary State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers be positively identified[/b] without using fingerprints for purposes of conducting State and Federal Criminal History Background checks?

Please explain the type documents that your department accepts as evidence of positive I.D.? (U.S. Passport, Government issued picture I.D., etc.)

Does your department conduct State and/or Criminal History Record Background Checks on individuals other than applicants for pistol permits?

Does your department currently have computer access to State and Federal Criminal History files?

When individuals are arrested and brought to your department for booking/processing, does your department conduct a State and/or Federal Criminal History Records Check on the arrested individual being booked/processed?

Please explain in detail the application and investigation process for obtaining a Temporary State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers in your department.

Why does it take so long to render a decision inpermit cases?

Please explain the type documents that your department accepts as evidence of positive I.D.? (U.S. Passport, Government issued picture I.D., etc.)

If positive I.D. of an applicant is established, does your department have the ability to run or obtain a triple I, (III), check on the individual requesting a Temporary State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers?

TRIPPLE I CHECK INFORMATION FROM THE INTERNET

I-2.3 THE III
The III segment of IAFIS is the national system designed to provide automated CHRI. The III is an index‑pointer system that allows for the exchange of criminal history records ("rap sheets"). The III stores the criminal history records of Federal offenders and those offenders submitted by participating and non‑participating III States. All information in the III is supported by fingerprint submissions. Under the III, the FBI maintains an index of persons arrested for felonies or misdemeanors under either State or Federal law. The index includes identification data such as name, birth date, race, and sex. In addition, the index contains FBI and State identification numbers (SID) from each State that has information about an individual. Search queries using names and other identifiers are made by law enforcement agencies throughout the country. The automated name search process takes about two seconds[/b] and if a hit occurs, record requests are made using the associated SID or FBI number. Data are automatically retrieved from the appropriate repositories, including State repositories, and forwarded to the requesting agency. As of December 2006, forty‑eight States were participating in III.

[/align]