• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just Passin' Through--but stopping for the night...

Dreamer

imported post

I currently live in NC, and have a CC permit there. I know it does me no good in MD (even though all the surrounding states recognize it--VA, WV, PA). But I'll be visiting family in Onley MD this weekend (and probably a LOT more frequently in the future--we've got a new Grand-daughter on the way any day now...), and I am a little unclear on the law for transporting into and/or through MD.

Anyway, I'm pretty familiar with MD laws, since I lived in NoVa for about 15 years in the '80s and '90s, and worked in MD most of that time, but I'm not sure where I stand for transporting through MD if I stop for a night or two...

So here's my question...

I want to bring my Para Ordnance S-14.45 on my next trip. I know that I can wear it in the car in NC and VA because I have a valid NC CHP. I also know that if I lock it up in a locked box in the trunk, unloaded, I can TRAVERSE the state of MD. But what if I'm going to stop in MD and stay for a few nights? I also plan on driving out to the Eastern Panhandle of WV while I'm up there, and my NC CHP is ALSO recognized in WV, so I'm golden there too. But what about the day or two I'm going to be in MD. Can I transport it there, take it form the car into my stepdaughter's house, and leave it there while we go about our business in MD, and be within the bounds of MD law? Or is the "MD Transport exception" only if you are merely traversing MD, and not stopping?

Hopefully someone here can set me straight. Or do you recommend I just call the MD AG's office and get the "straight scoop"?...

Thanks in advance.

buzzsaw

imported post

Dreamer, I am amazed at the similarity of our situations. I too am eager to see if anyone can give a heads up on this as I'm also a NC resident (no CC) with a daughter and two grandchildren in Md. Matter of fact am headed that way this weekend. Travel safely.

Dreamer

imported post

buzzsaw,

If I don't get some response today (Thursday) I'll call the MD AG, and get it "from the horses mouth". Of course, I'm working under the assumption that the MD AG will be as cordial, open, and forthright with me as other states AG's--PA, WV, NC--when it comes to this matter...

Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath on that one...

I'll probably see ya somewhere on I-95! But then again, I may be sleeping for most of the drive--I work midnight -8am, and my other stepdaughter (they are twins) will probably be driving for the first half of the trip so I can nap...

If I get any info, I'll post it here before we head out Friday morning.

buzzsaw

imported post

Yeah, I probably wouldn't mortgage the farm and bet the money on that one. If we can ever get the group to get together around kinston or New Bern I hope we can meet up.

Dreamer

imported post

Actually, that was me over on the NC forum talking about a New Bern OC Meeting a few weeks ago... We'll get it together for November, perhaps...

But to get back to the main thread, I just called the MD AG. They referred me to the MD State Police, who informed me as to the procedure. Here is how it goes:

When transporting firearms through the state of MD, they must be:
1) unloaded,
2) in a locked container,
3) not easily accessable to the driver or passengers

Unloaded, if you're talking about a semi-auto pistol, means the magazine CAN NOT be in the gun. The mags can remain loaded with ammo, but they must NOT be in the gun. Also, the ammo/mags and the gun CAN be in the same locked container, but it MUST be locked, and it must not be readily accessible to the driver or passengers.

And your out-of-state CC permit is not worth the paper it's written on in MD. Unless you are a Judge, or an LEO, or one of the super-rich or super-connected "elites", you will not get a MD CC permit, period. Ask Babs Mikulski...

Ah, the trials we go through, trying to be law-abiding citizens. I will NEVER live in MD again.:banghead:

I REALLY wish they'd move to Virginia... ;)

But I'm looking forward to some delicious Anita's food on Sunday in Fairfax. Chili Verde Sauce...mmmmm.....

Great food, loving family and OC. Does it get any better than that? :celebrate

TFred

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Actually, that was me over on the NC forum talking about a New Bern OC Meeting a few weeks ago... We'll get it together for November, perhaps...

But to get back to the main thread, I just called the MD AG. They referred me to the MD State Police, who informed me as to the procedure. Here is how it goes:

When transporting firearms through the state of MD, they must be:
1) unloaded,
2) in a locked container,
3) not easily accessable to the driver or passengers

Unloaded, if you're talking about a semi-auto pistol, means the magazine CAN NOT be in the gun. The mags can remain loaded with ammo, but they must NOT be in the gun. Also, the ammo/mags and the gun CAN be in the same locked container, but it MUST be locked, and it must not be readily accessible to the driver or passengers.

And your out-of-state CC permit is not worth the paper it's written on in MD. Unless you are a Judge, or an LEO, or one of the super-rich or super-connected "elites", you will not get a MD CC permit, period. Ask Babs Mikulski...

Ah, the trials we go through, trying to be law-abiding citizens. I will NEVER live in MD again.:banghead:

I REALLY wish they'd move to Virginia... ;)

But I'm looking forward to some delicious Anita's food on Sunday in Fairfax. Chili Verde Sauce...mmmmm.....

Great food, loving family and OC. Does it get any better than that? :celebrate
You didn't specifically mention, what did the advice from the MDSP say about while you were visiting over one or several nights? I've read other accounts here abouts that the overnight stays removed you from the protection of the federal transport laws.

TFred

Dreamer

imported post

The representative I spoke with told me that I could move it ("it" being the gun, inside it's locked case) into the house for over-night storage rather than leaving it in the car.

But I can't carry it on my person in a "readily accessible" fashion.

However, I saw a guy in Atlantic Guns who was there to try and sell a gun (some cheap, small-caliber mouse gun), who brought the gun in the store inside a plastic grocery bag. And this "seller" was a short, VERY fat, middle-aged white guy. Definitely not the "profile" you'd expect to be carrying an illegally concealed firearm in a plastic sack...

So you CAN take guns into MD on trips. But if you get pulled over, it had better be properly stored and stowed. And if you're going to move it from your vehicle to the place where you're staying (house, hotel, etc), you'd damn well better be sure none of the nosey neighbors can recognize is a firearm, or you'll likely be getting a knock on your door and have some 'splaining to do...

I was SOOO happy when I crossed the line back into VA Sunday afternoon. I literally pulled over into the first parking lot I could find, and put my trusty Para on my hip, where it stayed until I got home later Sunday night...

My only problem while in MD was that I couldn't carry. None of my belts fit correctly anymore without a holster on them, and mhy pants all feel like they don't fit right without that extra little weight on my right hip... ;)

Novus Collectus

imported post

The federal law must allow for overnight stops....I mean think about Texas for instance where it can take most of a day just to drive accross. But for MD you are still covered if you stop under a few ways.

First of all whomever told you the case had to be locked for MD transport is incorrect unless they were talking about just by using the fed transport law. The only MD legal requirement when wearing, carrying or transporting to one of the approved purposes or locations is that the handgun itself be unloaded and in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster (the AG about 30 years ago said a holster with a snap button strap over the openning counts as an enclosed holster). Since you cannot lock an average holster, we know that the locked case is not a requirement by state law alone.
Second, the not accessible claim for MD law sometimes stated is also wrong because the law says you can wear the handgun in an enclosed holster when going to one of the approved purposes or locations.
Third, ammo does not have to be seperate and the handgun just has to be unloaded. There is no mention about loaded mags not inserted in the gun in the law and so therefore if not mentioned it is not illegal. Ammo does not have to be seperate or else when walking to the range or riding a bike to the range one would have to make two trips because it is impossible to keep ammo innaccessible in most of those situations.

Now for the approved locations and purposes. When comming into the state you can transport by fed law to the relative's house, but for fed law the handgun and ammo cannot be accessible from the passenger compartment or they must be locked.
When you leave the relative's house you can transport by both fed law and state law (as long as it is just an overnight stay for passing through MD for the fed law), but if you are transporting by just MD law then an attorney at the AG's office in a letter he sent someone you can still only transport, even if to outside the state, for one of the approved purposes or activities......so since going to an informal target practice, even in another state, counts as one of the approved purposes, repeat after me, "officer, I am going to the range in Virginia when I get there" ;)

This is the MD law:
Article - Criminal Law § 4-203. (a) (1) Except as provided in subsection (b) of this section, a person may not: (i) wear, carry, or transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, on or about the person; (ii) wear, carry, or knowingly transport a handgun, whether concealed or open, in a vehicle traveling on a road or parking lot generally used by the public, highway, waterway, or airway of the State;...

....(b) This section does not prohibit:...

.... (3) the carrying of a handgun on the person or in a vehicle while the person is transporting the handgun to or from the place of legal purchase or sale, or to or from a bona fide repair shop, or between bona fide residences of the person, or between the bona fide residence and place of business of the person, if the business is operated and owned substantially by the person if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(4) the wearing, carrying, or transporting by a person of a handgun used in connection with an organized military activity, a target shoot, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, hunting, a Department of Natural Resources-sponsored firearms and hunter safety class, trapping, or a dog obedience training class or show, while the person is engaged in, on the way to, or returning from that activity if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(5) the moving by a bona fide gun collector of part or all of the collector's gun collection from place to place for public or private exhibition if each handgun is unloaded and carried in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster;

(6) the wearing, carrying, or transporting of a handgun by a person on real estate that the person owns or leases or where the person resides
As has already been stated by Dreamer, the general understanding is that once you are residing somewhere, you can load and carry the handgun at will on that real estate where you are residing and this should include a hotel room (you are residing and leasing) and a relative's house.