• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where is the best place to buy ammo?

Jenn

imported post

I have checked Walmart several times, they never have any. Have got 9mm ammo from there for the range. Several friends have said not to buy ammo from them -its supposed to be garbage.

Jenn

imported post

I don't know where the armory is. I am looking for both range and self defence. I need to find out where more ranges are also, so far I have just been going to Bob's and A&R. I am still new to this.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Jenn, The Armory is near the corner of Indain River and Kempsville Rd.,right behind the Brewster's Ice Cream stand.

There are more ranges around here too. Superior Pawn and Gun has 3...I'd use their range; but, I wouldn't buy anything else there...and that's only for personal reasons.

Jenn

imported post

I was planning on checking out Superior's range soon, do not like A&P. Do you know if there are any outdoor ranges around? Does the Armory have a range also?

darthmord

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
My wife and I are FORMER friends of the family that owns Superior...(emphasis on FORMER!)...That's whywe now go to Bob's
My only complaint with the range at Bob's is the lack of distance. I'd like to be able to shoot further than 11 meters. Other than that, I'm happy to shoot at Bob's.

Wangmuf

imported post

Jenn wrote:
I have checked Walmart several times, they never have any. Have got 9mm ammo from there for the range. Several friends have said not to buy ammo from them -its supposed to be garbage.

I get my range ammo from wal-mart, never had any problems. It's the same Winchester, Remington, and Federal that other stores sell. And they're cheap.

45acpForMe

imported post

Jenn wrote:
Looking for .45 ammo, does anybody know the best places to find it?
I get my plinking ammo at Walmart. Blazer Brass or Federal for 15.95/box-50. I hate and won't buy Winchester unless I am really really low. I have also gotten some Remmington 45 for 18.95 a box a while back. With a limit of 6-boxes makes it hard to stay stocked.

If you go to any gun store or gun show the price is around 2x what you can get at walmart. Yes I know that Wallyworld is often out but I keep checking a couple times a week. Georgia Arms will take an order and deliver it for free to the next gun show but their prices have gone up too.

The Yorktown Walmart hasn't had a good supply of 45 but I have seen more 40 ammo there than anything else.

For Federal 230grain Hydra-shok I bought 200 rounds online at gunbroker.com. I have seen them at Superior Pawn on VA Beach Blvd. Other places have had them very sporatically.

Most of my guns are 45acp so I am always on the lookout.

JosephMingle

imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
Jenn wrote:

I get my range ammo from wal-mart, never had any problems. It's the same Winchester, Remington, and Federal that other stores sell. And they're cheap.
Which Wal-Mart? Every time I visit mine they are pretty much bare. I've hit Woodbridge Wal-Mart as well and they never have any.

I did happen upon a clerk putting a new case (five boxes) on the shelf - I bought them all since I had completely run out of range ammo. They haven't had any since (they owe me one because they charged me for 6 - their limit even though there were only five in a case).

wylde007

imported post

Jenn wrote:
I was planning on checking out Superior's range soon, do not like A&P. Do you know if there are any outdoor ranges around? Does the Armory have a range also?
I prefer A&P to Superior. They have many more bays, which generally means less waiting. Their annual fees are not bad.

Check out C2 - http://www.thec2center.com/

I think it used to be known as Munden Point Range but has been seriously upgraded in the past couple of years. They held an Appleseed Event there back in July, I think.

Sadly, The Armory is rangeless.