• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Park Service whines new law allows Open Carry of weapons

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Statesman wrote:
However, Skaggs said some rules do differ in the park compared to the rest of the state.

“They cannot use it or display it in a threatening manner, and they cannot discharge it unless their personal safety is in question,” she said.

HUH? Is she saying it's ok to display it in a threatening manner and discharge a gun in the rest of the state ?!
Defensive display is legal in AZ (now). However... I don't think it'd have much of an effect on the wildlife to advise the critters 'I'm armed' before they eat you. This Skaggs woman has prob'ly never held a firearm in her life, much less carried one. Otherwise she wouldn't be babblin' like an idiot to the otheridiots. She started out as a Kiosk attendant back in the mid '80's... now she's in PR. Peter Principle!

kurtmax_0

imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
Death Valley, which is in Nevada and California. Each state might have a different law regarding firearms and those would be reflected in park regulations.

So how does this work? I can legally carry in Nevada. I can't in California.

It's a National Park within both states. Is there a dividing line in the park thatI can't cross? It's all one park, right?

So, if I enter the park in Nevada, I'm legal. As I travel westward, I will encounter where the border of California used to be. It is now a "National" park.

Are they going to put up a fence with gun buster signs? It then becomes divided into state sections.....effectively NO LONGER a"National" park. It is now a "state" park.

I can carry in the entire park, correct? Or can I?

I'm going to write some e-mails.
A large part of the interesting parts of Death Valley is in California, so it'd be quite restrictive if you want to go anywhere.

Firearms against most wildlife would be pretty useless, but there is no reason to prohibit them. I'd rather have bear spray vs a bear than a handgun. The bear would probably just have fun shoving the handgun up my rear even after getting shot a dozen times.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
A large part of the interesting parts of Death Valley is in California, so it'd be quite restrictive if you want to go anywhere.
why? In unincorporated areas, no permit needed to open carry in California except in a public place where the County has banned shooting.

kurtmax_0

imported post

Mike wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
why? In unincorporated areas, no permit needed to open carry in California except in a public place where the County has banned shooting.
You still probably need to abide by California's wonky handgun laws like no 'high capacity' magazines and such.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Mike wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
You still probably need to abide by California's wonky handgun laws like no 'high capacity' magazines and such.
That is a gross overstatement of the hi-cap mag laws here. Please cite your assertions.

paramedic70002

imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
A recent lecture on the use of bear spray suggested that spray commence at thirty feet, as a wall, and proceed to continuous spray to the face at close range.  Very reassuring!

Maybe someone should market an OC grenade that you can launch, that adheres to the bear's fur!

Or a mini-me that exudes the scent of frightened human, and stays behind to get eaten.

Rule of thumb: When you go hiking in predator country, take along someone who can't run as fast as you can...

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

kurtmax_0 wrote:
Mike wrote:
kurtmax_0 wrote:
there is only an import ban and transfer ban of magazines holding more than 10 rounds.

possumboy

imported post

paramedic70002 wrote:
Master Doug Huffman wrote:
A recent lecture on the use of bear spray suggested that spray commence at thirty feet, as a wall, and proceed to continuous spray to the face at close range. Very reassuring!

Maybe someone should market an OC grenade that you can launch, that adheres to the bear's fur!

Or a mini-me that exudes the scent of frightened human, and stays behind to get eaten.

Rule of thumb: When you go hiking in predator country, take along someone who can't run as fast as you can...

I've seen a bear attack - even received the Honor Medal With Crossed Palms (BSA)for pulling the dumbass that decided to smack the bear away.

My everyday carry would not bring down that bear, maybe if I went through all 46 rounds, but the 16 I had should be enough for a non-rabid bear. The noise of a whistle will work most of the time.

When I can carry in the NP around my house, it will be my 1911. I have to figure out a good way to keep it concealed until we fix the State Park issue of no OC.

I hate to say this, but I'm not much worry about big bears here in VA, I'm worried more about humans.

Yes, there may be a very small number of violent crimes compared to the number of visitors, but I'm not willing to be in that number - or have my wife/daughters/son be the small number that is raped or killed if I can prevent it.

I always ask for the phonenumber of anyone that says the number is so small it is nothing to worry about. None have failed to ask why. I always tell them I want to give it to the criminal, ignoring the laws, so he can come and rape/kill them so I don't have to worry about my family.

Tomahawk

imported post

possumboy wrote:
When I can carry in the NP around my house, it will be my 1911. I have to figure out a good way to keep it concealed until we fix the State Park issue of no OC.
This is what I use for hiking:

http://store.thewilderness.com/index.php?cPath=51

Allows concealed carry with open-style comfort and access. And it protects the pistol very well when hiking through brush, and fits nicely onto the thick cumberbund belts of most backpacks. The only problem of course, is Virginia law which prevents you from walking out of the woods and into a restaurant until you change to an open holster.

safepacker_open200.gif

architect

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

Allows concealed carry with open-style comfort and access. And it protects the pistol very well when hiking through brush, and fits nicely onto the thick cumberbund belts of most backpacks. The only problem of course, is Virginia law which prevents you from walking out of the woods and into a restaurant until you change to an open holster.

safepacker_open200.gif
It occurs to me that sewing a zippered mesh pouch on the outside of the cover ought to work for VA restaurant carry, except you'd have to handle the firearm, in public if you waited until the last minute to "uncover." Anyway, here's hoping we have only six more months of this ridiculous restriction!

Tomahawk

imported post

architect wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

safepacker_open200.gif
It occurs to me that sewing a zippered mesh pouch on the outside of the cover ought to work for VA restaurant carry, except you'd have to handle the firearm, in public if you waited until the last minute to "uncover." Anyway, here's hoping we have only six more months of this ridiculous restriction!

Actually, there are two layers covering the firearm, the outside flap and the outboard side of the pocket the pistol is in, both of which are think nylon fabric. (The picture above is a "see-through" photoshopped to show you how the pistol fits inside.)

I have thounght of ways to do what you suggest, but these things cost a little too much and are too nice for me to want to start cutting on one. Might be able to contact the manufacturer and see if they'll customize one.

possumboy

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:

safepacker_open200.gif

This is a great Idea. I may try to get one when a few more paychecks make it through the bank.

The runner's belt looks good also.

THANKS!