• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

McDonnell Deeds or Write in Candidate?

Who is the most Pro Gun Candidate for Governor?

• Deeds

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • McDonnell

• Write in Candidate

• Not worth my time to vote

• Total voters

bohdi

imported post

It is socially irresponsible for anyone who is eligible not to vote. It is your civic duty to do so. I openly chastise anyone who chooses not to. People in other countries die just trying to obtainthis freedom - or at least some resemblance of it even if the counting is rigged in some cases. Not voting is unamerican. I mean, crickies, we even have ABSENTEE ballots, there really are no excuses.

Anytime someone complains about local taxes, issues, etc that are bugging them I ask them a simple question. Did you vote? If they say no I tell them to STF up, and it's their fault for not being involved. We are all responsible for what happens, and it starts with the people we elect. Not everyone is going to think the same way I do on every single topic, so I have to select enough of the people that think and feel as close to what I do - regardless of party. This year, it's all R.

I gotta stop drinking coffee. Sorry for the rant.

darthmord

imported post

bohdi wrote:
It is socially irresponsible for anyone who is eligible not to vote. It is your civic duty to do so. I openly chastise anyone who chooses not to. People in other countries die just trying to obtainthis freedom - or at least some resemblance of it even if the counting is rigged in some cases. Not voting is unamerican. I mean, crickies, we even have ABSENTEE ballots, there really are no excuses.

Anytime someone complains about local taxes, issues, etc that are bugging them I ask them a simple question. Did you vote? If they say no I tell them to STF up, and it's their fault for not being involved. We are all responsible for what happens, and it starts with the people we elect. Not everyone is going to think the same way I do on every single topic, so I have to select enough of the people that think and feel as close to what I do - regardless of party. This year, it's all R.

All it takes for Evil to succeed is for Good Men to do nothing.

Apathy is our enemy. It is what has gotten us to where we are now. I make a point of voting in every election I can get to.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

darthmord wrote:
bohdi wrote:

Apathy is our enemy. It is what has gotten us to where we are now. I make a point of voting in every election I can get to.
I said it a little differently, but +1

http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/time-to-slap-obama/

Time to slap Obama Tomorrow is election day. I know, it’s hunting season too, but take a few minutes and slap Obama.

For all of us that couldn’t believe it when he was elected and told all the liberals, welfare recipients, bleeding hearts, etc, that the only thing Obama would give them wouldn’t have Vasoline, we have the opportunity to put him in his place tomorrow.

For the first time in many years, the Virginia Republicans have given us good choices and with the exception of Linwood Cobb, haven’t managed to shoot themselves in the foot.

There are many issues and challenges that face rural Virginians in the next few years. Despite what CNBC says, we’re a far cry from being out of this mess. We will come out of it and country people always survive, but it’s much easier when we don’t have to fight the Government in the process.

I think the Republican ticket will stay out of our way.

In my opinion, the election for Governor, Lt. Governor and Attorney General, is already written in stone…BUT..we need to send a strong message to Washington and the Obama Administration. The message is “Go To Hell”.

Get out and vote tomorrow, Virginia

nova

imported post

peter nap wrote:
darthmord wrote:
bohdi wrote:

I said it a little differently, but +1

http://news.oldva.org/blogroll/time-to-slap-obama/

Time to slap Obama Tomorrow is election day. I know, it’s hunting season too, but take a few minutes and slap Obama.

For all of us that couldn’t believe it when he was elected and told all the liberals, welfare recipients, bleeding hearts, etc, that the only thing Obama would give them wouldn’t have Vasoline, we have the opportunity to put him in his place tomorrow.

For the first time in many years, the Virginia Republicans have given us good choices and with the exception of Linwood Cobb, haven’t managed to shoot themselves in the foot.

There are many issues and challenges that face rural Virginians in the next few years. Despite what CNBC says, we’re a far cry from being out of this mess. We will come out of it and country people always survive, but it’s much easier when we don’t have to fight the Government in the process.

I think the Republican ticket will stay out of our way.

In my opinion, the election for Governor, Lt. Governor and Attorney General, is already written in stone…BUT..we need to send a strong message to Washington and the Obama Administration. The message is “Go To Hell”.

Get out and vote tomorrow, Virginia
Just so nobody gets confused :cool:

ELECTION DAY IS TODAY, TUESDAY, NOV. 3

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

This is McDonnell's cousin from Massachusetts. Surprisingly, he's a darn nice fellow and pro gun.

They were hanging around to watch when I fell off of the 12 foot ladder I was standing on:lol:

I made them honorary Virginians.

1125__320x240_r8.jpg

wylde007

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Anytime someone complains about local taxes, issues, etc that are bugging them I ask them a simple question. Did you vote? If they say no I tell them to STF up, and it's their fault for not being involved.
And what do you tell them when they say that they do vote, that they are involved and they are still dissatisfied with the treasonous and cowardly actions taken "on their behalf" by an unreceptive, unaccountable legislature?

What then, mon ami?

This election is shaping up like it MIGHT take Virginia a step in the right direction, if for nothing else to give us a quasi-conservative leader in office when the republic finally fails.

Otherwise, there's not much to get excited about.

bohdi

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
bohdi wrote:
Anytime someone complains about local taxes, issues, etc that are bugging them I ask them a simple question. Did you vote? If they say no I tell them to STF up, and it's their fault for not being involved.
And what do you tell them when they say that they do vote, that they are involved and they are still dissatisfied with the treasonous and cowardly actions taken "on their behalf" by an unreceptive, unaccountable legislature?

What then, mon ami?

This election is shaping up like it MIGHT take Virginia a step in the right direction, if for nothing else to give us a quasi-conservative leader in office when the republic finally fails.

Otherwise, there's not much to get excited about.
I tell them to remain active, to be vociferous, and to get in their elected officials faces, for the selected have forgotten those who put them there. Office can be given and taken away. It isn't over night.

kennys

imported post

FYI on my experiance at the polls this morning. All avanues were covered with me reporting this to any one I could.

I went in to vote this morning at the Hanover fire department which is considered the 202- Blunts district and I have never felt so violated in all my life. Upon giving the women at the desk my license to verify who I am so I could vote, and than finding out that Ihad beenmarked in the computeras alreadyvoted. Upon notifying them that I had not, they made a phone call and was told that I had to use a provisional balled, and I was assured that my vote would count. From what I understand they are pushing this off as a glitch in that this is the first time they have used this computer program, but giving the questionable facts of this administration and Acorn I really don't know what to believe. it seems as though I may have been the first, but after me it seems as though others were also having this problem. Something as well that I didn't like about the provisional ballad system is that the envelope you seal it in has a place for you to put your social security number, and is noted with out it your vote will not count, not that I am so sure it will any way because it seems that if you make the slightest mistake they would find a reason to disqualify it any way.

Kenny

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ColdSteel wrote:
I know that of the two, McDonnel is less damaging to gun rights.
Even this is up for debate. The VCDL surveys that Deeds actually completed (i.e. in the past) were, to my eyes, way better than McDonnel. Did you know Deeds claimed he would sign a law converting Virginia into a Vermont-carry state?

I agree with the rest of your post, BTW.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bohdi wrote:
It is socially irresponsible for anyone who is eligible not to vote. It is your civic duty to do so. I openly chastise anyone who chooses not to. People in other countries die just trying to obtain this freedom - or at least some resemblance of it even if the counting is rigged in some cases. Not voting is unamerican. I mean, crickies, we even have ABSENTEE ballots, there really are no excuses.

Well, I didn't vote (absentee, of course), and I proudly admit it here in the face of your "chastisement".

I will not give credence to a false paradigm of statist tyrants so that I may disclaim "apathy".

Whatever criticism you intend to level at me, you'll have to find another one than "apathy".

If I possessed apathy, I'd probably vote.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

marshaul wrote:
bohdi wrote:

Well, I didn't vote (absentee, of course), and I proudly admit it here in the face of your "chastisement".

I will not give credence to a false paradigm of statist tyrants so that I may disclaim "apathy".

Whatever criticism you intend to level at me, you'll have to find another one than "apathy".

If I possessed apathy, I'd probably vote.
You know Marshaul, that just doesn't surprise me one damn bit!
It makes me proud that you're out there instead of here.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

You should be happy too, if I was forced to make the choice I would have voted for Deeds.

Deeds might have toned-down his pro-gun stance for his party, but then McDonnell toned-down his pro-tax stance for his party. Or did you imagine all those "reforms" are going to come for free?

It's entirely disgusting that the forum is supporting this clown, in my opinion. Tax-and-spend reaganomics are NOT conservative and they are NOT free-market.

What happened to true conservatism? This religio-centric neoconservatism makes my skin crawl, and my sense of liberty scream in terror.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

marshaul wrote:
You should be happy too, if I was forced to make the choice I would have voted for Deeds.

Deeds might have toned-down his pro-gun stance for his party, but then McDonnell toned-down his pro-tax stance for his party. Or did you imagine all those "reforms" are going to come for free?

It's entirely disgusting that the forum is supporting this clown, in my opinion. Tax-and-spend reaganomics are NOT conservative and they are NOT free-market.

What happened to true conservatism? This religio-centric neoconservatism makes my skin crawl, and my sense of liberty scream in terror.
Like I said, It doesn't surprise me at all.

I still don't understand why you get on a Virginia forum and waive your purse from California.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Maybe it's because I'm a Virginia resident and a registered voter?

Maybe you should consider my posts instead of discounting everything I say simply because I attend school in California (it's a good place to get experience in my field before I move back to Virginia, or up to New Hampshire, or wherever I end up).

I mean, do you suppose i actually agree politically with the mainstream views here in the Bay Area? If not, why do you insist on conflating my views with theirs?

These things matter. Or maybe you advocate tax-and-spend reaganomics?

Or would it be better if the forums devolved into back-slapping self-congratulation?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

marshaul wrote:

Maybe you should consider my posts instead of discounting everything I say simply because I attend school in California (it's a good place to get experience in my field before I move back to Virginia, or up to New Hampshire, or wherever I end up).

I mean, do you suppose i actually agree politically with the mainstream views here in the Bay Area? If not, why do you insist on conflating my views with theirs?

Or would it be better if the forums devolved into back-slapping self-congratulation?
I discount your posts because your a pain in the ass!
Sorry I can't keep this up tonight. I'm headed to the Victory party.

kennys

imported post

peter nap wrote:
marshaul wrote:

Sorry I can't keep this up tonight. I'm headed to the Victory party.
Deeds is just like a mirror of Obama, only dorkier. Seem's that any one that spends even a little time in Ca is drain bramaged for life.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

peter nap wrote:
Fair enough.

Of course, by "pain in the ass" you mean "person who doesn't engage in partisan lockstep and back-slapping".

I understand.

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kennys wrote:
Deeds is just like a mirror of Obama, only dorkier.
Factually false.

Now, I know Deeds didn't complete the 2009 survey. I'm merely presenting evidence that your "mirror" claim is factually false.

Will you SUPPORT Vermont-style carry legislation which would eliminate all requirements to pay fees and register gun owners and simply allow law-abiding citizens to carry firearms openly or concealed (at the individual's discretion) for any reason except for the commission of a crime?

• R. Creigh Deeds YES
    Robert F. "Bob" McDonnell NO

Source: VCDL Statewide Survey, 2005

Please present evidence that Obama does support, or ever has supported, such a view. :quirky

Of course, we all know that Obama is opposed to concealed carry, even licensed.

In fact, when I consider the bigger picture, including the tendencies of politicians on both sides to drift in their stated positions towards the "party line" for the duration of a major campaign, I get the impression that Deeds is actually the more pro-gun candidate with regards to individual freedom, whereas McDonnell is only "pro-gun" in the restrictionist, statist, pseudo-conservative sense in the vein of Reagan and G.W. Bush.

And yes, I'm aware of the all the little details: the subtle shifts in rhetoric, the (bad tactic) endorsement from Obama, the (irrelevant and unwanted) attack on McDonnell paid for by Bloomberg. None of this serves to dissuade my suspicions; it's merely politics as usual.

To me, this seems like a break from pro-gun support to tow the Republican party line. McDonnell doesn't even support Vermont carry, something Virginia is a ripe candidate for and should be seriously considering. (On that note: When's it going to be, guys? Do we like our permits? :shock: )

kennys wrote:
Seem's that any one that spends even a little time in Ca is drain bramaged for life.
I can keep up with you, buddy.

You know, I think you're all missing the point. The point isn't that Deeds is an awesome candidate. If you'll notice I've already espoused my preference for "none of the above".

The point is that this celebration of McDonnell as some sort of return to conservative roots is severely misplaced.

I'll say it again for the non-economists out there: tax-and-spend reaganomics are NOT conservative and they are NOT free-market.