• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Norfolk City Council Meeting and OC Dinner After (October 27th @ 7:00PM)

Grif77

imported post

I was wondering if anyone would like to attend the Norfolk City Council Meeting Next Tuesday (October 27th @ 7:00PM). Philip Van Cleave will be signed up to speak and it would be great if therewere a lot of supporters there.

It would also be nice to have an OC dinner afterwords (or we could have an early dinner @ around 5:30). Suggestions for a place to eat?

Here is the VCDL Alert....

----------------------------------------------------------------------
VCDL's meeting schedule: http://www.vcdl.org/meetings.html
Abbreviations used in VA-ALERT: http://www.vcdl.org/help/abbr.html

HISTORY

Disgracefully we have 7 mayors in Virginia that are part of New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg's anti-gun coalition.

These mayors claim they are members because the coalition's goal is to keep criminals from getting guns, but, we know better.

In fact many mayors have left that coalition as soon as they realized that the Coalition wasn't about keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, but keeping guns out of everyone else's hands, too.

The coalition wants to close the non-existent "gun show loophole." What the coalition really wants is ALL gun sales, including private sales, to be registered with the government. That way the government will know exactly what guns you have, making confiscation easier.

The coalition's proposed changes to the law regulating gun shows would greatly burden gun shows and cause many to close (Bloomberg, I'm sure, salivates at that thought).

The coalition also wants to repeal the Tiahrt Amendment, that would allow anti-gun mayors to get raw ATF trace data. That data, which includes data on guns that were NOT used in crimes, would be twisted and used as an excuse to sue manufacturers, dealers, and distributors, with the aim of destroying their businesses.

I have yet to see a gun control proposal that Bloomberg doesn't like and the gun control coming out of the coalition will be endless.

TIME FOR ACTION - Falls Church and Norfolk, here we come!

VCDL has decided to protest each of the seven mayors from Virginia that are part of this unholy coalition.

I will do this by addressing each mayor at one of their City Council meetings over the next few months.

And VCDL needs YOU to stand with to show support (and speak, too, if you so choose).

We are going to begin with two mayors next week:

Falls Church
Mayor Robin Gardner
Monday, October 26th, at 7:30 PM
http://www.fallschurchva.gov/Content/Government/Council/Meetings.aspx?cnlid=276

and

Norfolk
Mayor Paul D. Fraim
Tuesday, October 27th, at 7:00 PM
http://www.norfolk.gov/City_Hall/ContactInfoCC.asp

I plan on being at each City Council meeting at least 1/2 hour early to get signed up to speak and to handout "Guns Save Lives" stickers to everyone showing up to support VCDL.

Falls Church and Norfolk gun owners - come stand with us!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Would it be trite to suggest Waterside for dinner/snacks afterwards?

I haven't been to Norfolk since Danbus (buhn) won that case, so am not aware if there have been any changes since then.

But, yes, we ought to go as a group. Bring cameras. See you there - I'll be the guy wearing the GUNS SAVE LIVES button.;)

stay safe.

skidmark

C

ccloud43

imported post

I'll be there, maybe the wife if she isnt working. I'm up for a dinner before or after or maybe dinner before and snacks after. Waterside has Jillians which has pretty good food, also Hooters.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Norfolk City Hall is so much fun - do not forget to NOT sign in - it is an open meeting.

Waterside after is a tradition that I must help maintain.

See you there.

Yata hey

darthmord

imported post

As I posted in Skid's thread, I'm game for Tuesday. Will need to talk with my wife to see if she's up for it. I know my schedule is free at this time.

Are we planning on meeting up someplace first? If so, where?

As for suggesting Waterside... it sounds oddly poetic. :lol:

wylde007

imported post

I'd like to attend and show support...though I am not certain I will be able to.:(

I have A LOT going on next week. If I can get some things moved around I might be able to pull it off.

mobeewan

imported post

If I am able to take off from work I will attend the council meeting. Unfortunately I will have to hurry back and will not be able to attend the after meeting gathering. :(

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'm going to be there. Are we sure the esteemed mayor will even be there with Osama Obama in town? Also if you want to speak, I'd recommend calling a day or two prior and getting on the list.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ed has posted some disturbing info at the thread about the Falls Church city council meeting.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum54/33201.html It applies to the Norfolk meeting as well. Check it out.

I responded by saying
OK, some of us who have no other life :what::lol:will just arrive earlier than originally planned.

A reminder to any of you out there who have handicapping conditions that do not permit you to stand for extended periods of time - be sure to inform public officials of your medical need for a seat and explain the dangers of violating federal ADA regulations, Virginia's Notice of Compliance with ADA ( http://www.virginia.gov/cmsportal3/government_4096/americans_with_disabilities_act.html ) and http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+51.5-44.
stay safe.

skidmark

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

skidmark wrote:
Ed has posted some disturbing info at the thread about the Falls Church city council meeting.

Interesting....but why is it "disturbing info," skidmark?
39.gif

ed wrote:
I just got this alert on my "other" e-mail address:

- - - - -

CRITICAL ALERT!
Please forward this to anyone who can help!

The most extreme representatives of the pro-gun movement are planning to show up at local city council meetings across the Commonwealth for the purpose of harassing and intimidating the seven Virginia Mayors who have courageously stood up in support of the safety and well-being of their citizens over the fear-mongering and cowardice of the gun carriers.

PLEASE DON"T ALLOW THEM TO SUCCEED!

On a Web site called "Ammoland", the President of the so-called "Virginia Citizens Defense League" has pledged to show up at each Mayor's next City Council Meeting in order to try to browbeat and intimidate these public servants into capitulating to the VCDL's irrational and dangerous positions.

Believing that no democracy can tolerate political action through armed intimidation, The Virginia Center for Public Safety hopes all Virginians, liberal, moderate, and conservative, will help us stand up to these extremists, who while cloaking themselves in the veil of law and order, are perfectly satisfied with felons, terrorists, and the mentally disturbed having easy, unscrutinized access to guns, including military-grade weapons, as long as they do too.

WE NEED YOUR PRESENCE, PARTICULARLY THAT OF RESIDENTS OF THESE CITIES, AT THE FOLLOWING CITY COUNCIL MEETINGS:

In support of Falls Church Mayor Robin Gardner:

Monday, October 26th, at 7:30 PM

http://www.fallschurchva.gov/Content/Government/Council/Meetings.aspx?cnlid=276

In support of Norfolk Mayor Paul D. Fraim:

Tuesday, October 27th, at 7:00 PM

As we learn about any other attempts by the VCDL to engage in this type of intimidation of public servants, we'll pass it on. We anticipate they will try to harass the other five mayors, also.

2a4all

imported post

The weather forecastfor Norfolk on Tuesday (10/27) calls for showers, with temperatures ranging from a high of 67 DegF to a low of 64 DegF.

I'm thinking that early arrivals will get the available council chamberseats...

No doubt that the media will be there too.

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
imported post

If you would like to speak, here is some pertinent gouge, directly from the city's website:

[align=center]

Guidelines For Speakers
[align=left]If you wish to address the City Council, you must register to speak. The City Clerk or an assistant will take down your name, address and the subject you wish to speak on, including the agenda number if applicable. Requests to address items not on the agenda are considered new business, and will be taken up at the conclusion of the agenda.[/align]
If you have a complaint or a question about a city government operation or service, it may be advisable to take it up with the city department involved or the City Manager's Office (across the hall from the council chamber) before bringing it to the attention of the council.[/align]
If you are with a group of people, you may want to have a spokesperson present your position to the council and have others in agreement recognized by standing. Council will always try to hear everyone who wishes to speak on a subject. If a previous speaker has stated your position, you may make that known by reference. (for example, "I agree with the position stated by Mr. Jones and have nothing further to add.")

Speakers are generally limited to one appearance of three minutes, although council can allow exceptions at its discretion. Please limit your remarks to the subject under discussion.

When your name is called, please follow these steps:

1. Come forward to the speaker's lectern.
  2. State your name and address.
  3. State your position and give facts and other data.
  4. If you represent a group or organization, ask the others to rise and be recognized.
  5. If you have a written statement, give it and other supportive material to the City Clerk for the record.
These guidelines are intended to encourage the greatest possible participation by citizens at council meetings.