• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Washington CC on public transportation?

UtahJarhead

imported post

Can someone with a CPL take their handgun on public transportation (buses, trains, etc?) anywhere in the state? If so, can it be loaded or does it have to be unloaded? That is, if there's a restriction on it at all.

Phssthpok

imported post

Boo Boo wrote:
yes and yes and a no
These answers are correct, when qualified by the presumption that said out of state license is honored by Washington State (which I believe Utah is).

NavyMike

imported post

The Attorney General is required, by law,to maintain a list of reciprocal States, found here:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/ConcealedWeapons/Reciprocity.aspx

Concealed Weapon Reciprocity

Washington concealed pistol licenses will be recognized in the following states, and concealed weapons licenses issued in the listed states will be recognized in Washington State, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law.

Arkansas
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Utah

UtahJarhead

imported post

I apologize, I know WA recognizes my CFP (Concealed Firearms Permit), I was actually asking about a family member living in WA. Was going to pay for his CPL and a handgun for him for Xmas, so I was doing some research on some of the most common issues he's going to deal with. He lives in a semi-shady area and takes public transpo to work every day and frequently does so at late hours (he's a rent-a-cop for a non-profit).

I'm just making sure his trip to/from work isn't going to interfere with his 2A rights, that's all.

Tawnos

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
I apologize, I know WA recognizes my CFP (Concealed Firearms Permit), I was actually asking about a family member living in WA. Was going to pay for his CPL and a handgun for him for Xmas, so I was doing some research on some of the most common issues he's going to deal with. He lives in a semi-shady area and takes public transpo to work every day and frequently does so at late hours (he's a rent-a-cop for a non-profit).

I'm just making sure his trip to/from work isn't going to interfere with his 2A rights, that's all.
Correction: his Article 1 section 24 rights ;)

Until 2A is incorporated against the states, they theoretically don't apply.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

"Where does he live? Deros, takes public transportation in his "shady" area open carrying with a cpl of course. I have in Bellingham with no problems.

UtahJarhead

imported post

He's in Spokane. I just wanted to make sure he would be legal to carry it any place he needed to, that's all.

Jeff Hayes

imported post

Utahjarhead

Your brother should come to the open carry lunch this Sat, noon at the downtown Onion. Looks like there will be about 12 to 15 of us. He does not need to carry although most of us will be.

Orphan

Lammo

imported post

UtahJarhead wrote:
He's in Spokane. I just wanted to make sure he would be legal to carry it any place he needed to, that's all.
IIRC STA (Spokane Transit Authority) has signs on their busses that claim no weapons are allowed. I don't believe they have any legal authority for this. Also, it's been a few years since I last looked closely at a bus - - don't know if they still have the signs today.

UPDATE (well, not technically since I looked before I posted) the following appears on the STA web site under Rules of Conduct:

Rules of Conduct
The following is a summary of the STA Rules of Conduct and the behaviors prohibited while using STA transit vehicles and facilities.

Carrying firearms or weapons of any type (unless otherwise authorized by law)

Find it here: http://www.spokanetransit.com/ridesta/howtoride.asp

So, it looks likes the signs are there to discourage the clueless. I would expect to encounter resistance to OC on an STA bus.

UtahJarhead

imported post

AH HA! I just discovered handgunlaws.us!

RCW 9.41.280
(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools" (3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to: ... (e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

RCW 9.41.070
Concealed Pistol License

UtahJarhead

imported post

It specifically restricts all buses and transportation related to school, but leaves other buses alone. Then again, I suppose that could be in another section... either way, with a CPL, it appears to be perfectly legal according to you folks. Just KEEP it concealed.

j2l3

imported post

Actually, you don't have to keep it concealed either. Just have to have the CPL to be carrying loaded in a vehicle, whether private or public transport. No requirement to conceal.

Daath 474

imported post

Amtrak buses and trains make a claim that you cannot carry a firearm on board for any reason whatsoever. However legal this may be, I do not know. They can't force you to let them search your belongings, so if any questions arise and you do NOT consent to search, you'll be booted off the train/bus at the next stop.

I've traveled and continue to travel with Northwestern Trailways buses and to my knowledge there is no restriction on legal possession and carrying of firearms aboard any of their buses. There is nothing on the website or in the ticket information (pamphlet) that prohibits carrying.

Public transportation is a bit scary and I think it's everyone's right to be able to carry their firearm wherever they go on vacation. I've read numerous articles about seemingly ordinary people randomly attacking (and sometimes beheading and eating) their fellow passengers. Not to mention the threat of criminals taking hostages or terrorist threats that seem to be all too common these days.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Took me a while to remember where this was.

Note: this does not apply to private carriers such as Greyhound, etc., nor to Amtrak

RCW 9.91.025
Unlawful conduct in a transit vehicle.

(1) A person is guilty of unlawful transit conduct if, while on or in a transit vehicle or in or at a transit station, he or she knowingly:

(f) Carries any flammable liquid, explosive, acid, or other article or material likely to cause harm to others, except that nothing herein prevents a person from carrying a cigarette, cigar, or pipe lighter or carrying a firearm or ammunition in a way that is not otherwise prohibited by law;

(2) For the purposes of this section:

(a) "Transit station" or "transit facility" means all passenger facilities, structures, stops, shelters, bus zones, properties, and rights-of-way of all kinds that are owned, leased, held, or used by a transit authority for the purpose of providing public transportation services.

(b) "Transit vehicle" means any motor vehicle, street car, train, trolley vehicle, ferry boat, or any other device, vessel, or vehicle that is owned or operated by a transit authority or an entity providing service on behalf of a transit authority that is used for the purpose of carrying passengers on a regular schedule.

(c) "Transit authority" means a city transit system under RCW 35.58.2721 or chapter 35.95A RCW, a county transportation authority under chapter 36.57 RCW, a metropolitan municipal corporation transit system under chapter 36.56 RCW, a public transportation benefit area under chapter 36.57A RCW, an unincorporated transportation benefit area under RCW 36.57.100, a regional transportation authority under chapter 81.112 RCW, or any special purpose district formed to operate a public transportation system.