• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open rifle carry in Louisiana, New orleans, Marrero

xxaaronxx

imported post

Hello, im new to the open carry world, iv been reading around and cant seem to find anything about rifle open carry.
I see that pistols are okay, but nothing about rifles.
Just curious as to what my rights are and such.
It would be an AR-15 semi. :]
I live in marrero, la which isnt the best place to be.
recently the crime where i live has gotten worse, like my car has been vandalized :((
Anywho just curious on the matter.

xxaaronxx

imported post

Yanno, i was actually thinking about geting a bunch of friends, (gun owners, x marines) to walk with me, and patrol the neighborhood. Just recentrly i guy in his house got held at gun point, and a few cars have been broken into..

xxaaronxx

imported post

Well if i get the balls to do it, id do it with an AR-15 custom built, working on it now.
Thing is im not sure where to go.. lol...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

xxaaronxx wrote:
Well if i get the balls to do it, id do it with an AR-15 custom built, working on it now.
I can think of a couple of places....

There are plenty of rifle OC threads around here.

People get this new and, ah, brilliant idea about every 12 days around here.

Ho, hum.

xxaaronxx

imported post

Well like i said already, i might just patrol the area yanno or idk.. something...
Id like to actually use my rights... lol

Oscarr

imported post

xxaaronxx wrote:
Custom eh? Tell me it's a 6.8mm please. ;)

And HankT: Glad to see we both agree that it is brilliant to exercise your rights!

xxaaronxx

imported post

No, sorry, might get that upper dont think i will..
Like i said, if i do i dont know if i will... kinda feels weird walking around with a loaded rifle

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

xxaaronxx wrote:
No, sorry, might get that upper dont think i will..
Like i said, if i do i dont know if i will... kinda feels weird walking around with a loaded rifle
Have you carried at all before? Do you have a carry permit?

xxaaronxx

imported post

No i dont CC, and never have, i do know i cant be holding it like a terrorist lol. Needs to be slung on my back and etc..
My dad hes been CC'in for 6 or 7 years now,

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

xxaaronxx wrote:
No i dont CC, and never have, i do know i cant be holding it like a terrorist lol. Needs to be slung on my back and etc..
My dad hes been CC'in for 6 or 7 years now,
How old are you?

sraacke

imported post

xxaaronxx wrote:
Yanno, i was actually thinking about geting a bunch of friends, (gun owners, x marines) to walk with me, and patrol the neighborhood. Just recentrly i guy in his house got held at gun point, and a few cars have been broken into..

How about, instead of walking the streets with slung rifles, you try a less agressive approach first.

Have your group of residents find a meeting place Then print up and distribute fliers to the neighborhood discussing the recent uptick in crime and your desire to organise a Neighborhood Watch. Contact you local Law Enforcement Agency and ask them to send a representitive to your meeting to address resident concerns.

Address lighting, crime cameras and the possibility of getting extra police patrols in your area.

Contact the local media, newspapers and Television, to report on the crime problem and your attempts to organise against it.

Get your Neghborhood Watch rolling and have regular meetings with residents and Law Enforcement to keep them from letting down their guard.

IF you want to patrol your streets, do so in a way that won't cause more problems than you want to cure. Pistols for self defense may be resonable but long guns may be a bit too much. A few of the popular FRS radios distributed to block captians can give you a cheap means of communications as you observe your neighborhood. Keep in mind that just because you and a few friends mean well and want to "patrol" to combat the crime in your neighborhood you don't have anymore authority or power than any of the other residents there.

Oscarr

imported post

yale wrote:
How about, instead of walking the streets with slung rifles, you try a less agressive approach first.

Have your group of residents find a meeting place Then print up and distribute fliers to the neighborhood discussing the recent uptick in crime and your desire to organise a Neighborhood Watch. Contact you local Law Enforcement Agency and ask them to send a representitive to your meeting to address resident concerns.

Address lighting, crime cameras and the possibility of getting extra police patrols in your area.

Contact the local media, newspapers and Television, to report on the crime problem and your attempts to organise against it.

Get your Neghborhood Watch rolling and have regular meetings with residents and Law Enforcement to keep them from letting down their guard.

IF you want to patrol your streets, do so in a way that won't cause more problems than you want to cure. Pistols for self defense may be resonable but long guns may be a bit too much. A few of the popular FRS radios distributed to block captians can give you a cheap means of communications as you observe your neighborhood. Keep in mind that just because you and a few friends mean well and want to "patrol" to combat the crime in your neighborhood you don't have anymore authority or power than any of the other residents there.
Crime cameras? You mean invasion-of-privacy cameras? There is no need for someone to be watching everything going on everywhere all the time. Ignoring the privacy concerns, they just don't help anything. Look at how many cameras there are in the UK and their crime rate is through the roof too. Now, if those cameras had remote controlled guns on them, so the person watching could shoot a perp, then that'd be neato hehehe. (pro tip: no one is really watching, it's just recording, for after-the-fact evidence, so again, they don't stop crime anymore than laws stop crime).

And what's wrong with long guns? They're superior to handguns in accuracy, distance, and killing power. I'd want long guns too, possibly shotguns (depending on the layout etc).

You're right, they don't have any more authority or power than any other resident there, but by carrying, they have more -ability- to protect themselves and their neighbors. Apparently there's enough crime that whatever police presence there is, isn't enough to deter criminals.

If we HAD more armed citizens going around knocking skulls on criminals etc that like to attack unarmed targets, there'd be a sharp decline in those types of people.

P.S. Going back to the cameras, there were some installed under... ugh, old and bad memory, somewhere in bossier/shreveport, I forget. But I remember reading that 1year after the overpriced camera system had been installed (at taxpayer expense of course!) they had helped stop exactly -zero- crime.

Louisiana Carry

imported post

xxaaronxx wrote:
Well like i said already, i might just patrol the area yanno or idk.. something...
Id like to actually use my rights... lol

You can use your rights without going out basically begging for trouble.

"Testing the waters" frequently only accomplishes 1) making the person doing it feel like a badass; and 2) causing a backlash among the regular citizenry that makes it harder for others ofus who work to defend our rights in the legislature and courtsto do what we do.

Here, why don't you consider these points to ponder: Not Everyone Should Open Carry

xxaaronxx

imported post

again just wanted to see what my rights are...
More than likely i wont oc...
Maybe with a pistol one day... but not now

Louisiana Carry

imported post

That's cool, man. You should be interested in these kinds of things, everyone should be. Not knowing you, I just wanted to caution you. It happens sometimes that some people do more to alienate the non-2A community than bring them to our side. Some people on here are fine with that, I think that, since our rights are under constant attack, it behooves us to put our best foot forward.

XD-GEM

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Neighborhood Watch programs are generally NOT open to the idea of armed participants. I went to the initial Neighborhood Watch meeting run by NOPD in my area, and NOPD played a video that said the best means of protecting yourself in a robbery was to cooperate with the crook and do what they say. I challenged the officer presenting the tape and he said that his data "might be a little out of date" but added that NOPD still recommends against armed citizens.