• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Jackson countys finest threat

wally1120

imported post

I want others opinion on this, I was talking to a OC buddy tonight and he was saying, a cop buddie told him "he dosent like me, hopes I slip up,and cant wait to nail me". Now im young and get worked up a lil easy but, isn`t that unprofessional? Now true I am unemployed so that dosen`t help me much but, my parents pay for these people to try to do work that a kid can do but, they cant pull it off other then have a real big sweet tooth. Once I find out the officers name then I will delete this thread but, wanted to let others see what cops say about GTs.

Veritas

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
I want others opinion on this, I was talking to a OC buddy tonight and he was saying, a cop buddie told him "he dosent like me, hopes I slip up,and cant wait to nail me". Now im young and get worked up a lil easy but, isn`t that unprofessional? Now true I am unemployed so that dosen`t help me much but, my parents pay for these people to try to do work that a kid can do but, they cant pull it off other then have a real big sweet tooth. Once I find out the officers name then I will delete this thread but, wanted to let others see what cops say about GTs.
Not trying to be critical, but I don't fully understand your post.

What I gather is that an officer told a friend of yours that he doesn't like you and hopes you slip up so that he can bust you. I'll agree that they may be unprofessional. But keep in mind that sometimes people hear what they want to hear; meaning that your friend may have heard the officer say something and then imparted his own version of the story when he reiterated it to you. Or it could be that he reiterated it exactly as it was told... who knows. I suppose folks are free to say what they want, so long as it isn't threatening or harassing. Although if you start to experience extra attention from the officer in question, I'd probably take the matter up with the proper authorities and let them know that you think you're being singled out.

I don't follow where being unemployed, your parents paying for people to do kids work, and someone having a sweet tooth comes into play. And what is a GT?

wally1120

imported post

Tax payers pay cops to do there job, I wouldn`t mind them but, have many bad experinces with cops, Why cant Cops and Citizens get along?

The sweet tooth them eatin all the donuts.

GTstands forGun Toters

And if I do see attention from the cops then there will be a complaintfilled against the officer(s).

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

wally1120 wrote:
SNIP Why cant Cops and Citizens get along?

Well, lemme see.

Blue Wall of Silence, continuous4th Amendment violations (search and seizure), elitism,...

:)

wally1120

imported post

HA true they break the rules on everything. They need to realize that people that have a CPL or guns hanging off there side in the open is legal, We dont plan on starting anything,we carry guns to protect ourself, and to I thought making the cops job,life easier.

Veritas

imported post

wally1120 wrote:
Tax payers pay cops to do there job, I wouldn`t mind them but, have many bad experinces with cops, Why cant Cops and Citizens get along?

The sweet tooth them eatin all the donuts.

GTstands forGun Toters

And if I do see attention from the cops then there will be a complaintfilled against the officer(s).
Couple things here:

First, I'll be the first to admit that I have little to no patience for an officer who neglects their sworn duties and/or tramples the sovereign rights of the People they have sworn to serve.

This said, I believe in fairness and equality... and giving credit where it's due. I believe that an overwhelming majority of officers do the right thing, but that small faction of rogue officers paint the entire uniform in a negative manner.

The donut thing: Played out. Yeah, sure, it's a real easy insult... but if you consider where the source of the "joke" derives, you realize that it's not so practical to use as an insult. Long ago, before the world went and got itself in a big hurry, there were very few places that were open 24 hours. Donut shops, while they may not have been open 24 hours, did open VERY early... long before any other retail establishments unlocked their doors for the day. Consider that officers patrol the streets 24/7, even THEY needed a place to sit and chill for a bit. Even officers get lunch breaks. A donut shop was a logical choice, considering they were one of the few retail establishments open during certain patrol hours. The insult sort of loses its luster when you understand the history behind it.

I've had my fair share of bad experiences with officers. In fact, I'm willing to suggest that there's a 50/50 chance that anyone who's interacted with an officer would consider their experience "bad". Let's face it: Officers don't typically pull you over or show up at your doorstep just to say "Hi.. how are you?". If you interact with an officer, there's a pretty good chance that they are after you for something. Bad experience, right? Unjust experience? Not always. I've had bad experiences with officers... not all of them unjustified. This said, however, I have had unjust experiences with officers. But that doesn't shape how I view them all. I certainly don't run around chanting "Have another donut while I pay your salary".

I say this a lot: Respect is a two way street. If you want citizens and officers to get along, then we all need to learn to respect one another. I respect officers... just as much as I respect any other person in this world. Just wearing a badge isn't justification for me to drop to my knees and claim my unworthiness to be in the midst of their presense... but I also don't chide them or thumb my nose at them. They are people just like anyone else. They are trying to earn a living and feed their families just like anyone else. If I come across those few who exert too much power or force... I consider that a sign of disrespect, and as such, may not be as apt to demonstrate respect to them. Most recently, with my little run-in in Detroit, there were 3 primary officers on the scene. I only filed a complaint against one of them. One of them, I had nothing to say about because they really had no involvement in my situation whatsoever, and the third officer, I actually commended. Out of all the residual officers who arrived on scene after I was detained/arrested, which numbered approximately 6 to 7 as I can recall, I only had qualms with one of them. And of the officers who took my complaint report, I have nothing but positive things to say about them. This is how citizens and officers can get along... by demonstrating a mutual level of respect. MUTUAL.. meaning both parties together.

Lastly, taxpayers really don't pay officers to do their jobs. I mean, yeah, portions of our tax dollars are allocated to paying their salaries... but we do not employ them. We do not determine who is hired, who is fired, and who is promoted or demoted. We are not their employers... we simply finance the operation. Much like a stockholder of a company does not employ the workers of the company. Much like when you buy a Big Mac at McDonalds, you are not employing the worker who cooks it for you. You provide financing that pays them, but you do not employ them. Municpalities and agencies employ officers... our collective tax dollars provide the financing. We don't even directly determine the allocation of those funds, so it absolutely cannot be said that we have any sort of creative control via employment functions.

wally1120

imported post

I understand where you are coming from, this is your views of LEO`s.I just dont take to kindly to having a gun stuck to my back because I was OCing. This is what relly did me in to relly hating cops. Everyone has there own views but, mine are very firm and NOBODY is going to get me to look at it there way.

wally1120

imported post

still having a gun stuck to my back is uncalled for. They shouldn`t have been able to get away with it but, WAIT there cops so I guess it is ok for them to do what ever they want to. Having a gun stuck to your back with a itchy finger isnt cool,they went past there requirments to unlawfully detain me.

T Vance

imported post

I understand you have had some bad experience with police, but remember, notEVERY police officer has done you wrong, nor have you or anyone else had an experience with every officer. With that in mind, nobody should lump every officer together by as a bad apple. There are good cops out there.

At times I feel like you do about police Wally. 75% of my police encounters throughout my life have been negative encounters, but some of those times I was "misbehaving". So I have to remind myself, not every cop out there is bad, and that their are plenty (probably mostly) great cops. They deal with alot of $&^% too, and many of the citizens they encounter give them negative experiences at times, sometimes even trying to kill them. And just like in any job, they also have to deal with inter-office politics that affect how they have to perfrom their jobs (i.e. - writing petty traffic tickets when their is real crime to prevent/investigate). True they chose their job, but I do appreciate the hard work they do, and BS they have to put up with.

Sorry to hear you might have a bad apple looking to nail you to a cross.

JeffSayers

Do you really wanna go there with me?, Michigan, U
imported post

wally1120 wrote:
...to do work that a kid can do...

So you think you would be able to fill their shoes? The job can be quite treacherous; I know I wouldn't want it.

Look, everyone has personal feelings that reflect in their work. We all try to keep them at bay and usually do, but the feeling is still there. Just because he will have a big smile on his face if he catches you slipping up is not in and of itself itself unprofessional.

autosurgeon

imported post

I guess I will discuss my position... I have the opportunity to be around allot of cops at the range and other places and I would say 95% of them are good guys and gals doing a hard job... like anything there are wingnuts in the mix that piss off the good cops ... and contrary to popular belief the good cops do try and get rid of the clowns.

I get to hear the good cops complaining about the very things we complain about as every time this happens without justification it makes their jobs harder.

As for your comments Wally ... you are a young man and have a lot of living to do... Starting at your age with the idea that all police are all bad ... is just sad and saying that your mind is made up and cannot be changed is foolish.

I hope you can open your mind and realize that there are good cops out there that just want to do a good job and make a living.

Also I have found from experience that my attitude during an encounter helps set the tone of the encounter. Of course this does not always work but most of the time it does...

I have not met you Wally but I will say from your posts on here that you portray a chip on the shoulder attitude. This is just an observation and not a slam. If that is how the police perceive you they may feel you are a threat and feel they need to use additional force to detain you.

Remember police are trained to make snap judgments based on their perception of the person they are interacting with.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

I have a few points regarding this. When I was younger, I too felt that police officers were oftentimes "unfair" or otherwise not living up to some standard of what one would consider "professionalism". So, if I were reading this when I was under 30 years old, I would have been in general agreement with the original post.

As I have become older, I have found that my interactions with leos during the course of my daily "business" were increasingly fewer than when I was younger. I could at the time only assume what the reason was.

About 6 years ago, a friend of mine suggested that I join the sheriff reserves and, after the interview and background check, I was accepted. Getting to know local leos through the reserve events and training was very enlightening.

My opinion, and it is only an opinion, is that leos have a tough job. As a teacher, I am aware of the major changes that have happened in society within the past 10-20 years. Respect for others and politeness has become an increasingly rare event. Students no longer walk into a classroom with an assumed sense of respect for adults/teachers, and this lack of civilness has also permeated society in general. I could not believe the first few times that I particiapted in a ride-along capacity with a deputy the number of people who became belligerent at being stopped for traffic violations. Being a person who at one time collected tickets like one would collect postage stamps, I understood the frustration of being caught speeding or otherwise breaking minor traffic laws. As a Reserve, I left the actual conversation and citation dialogue to the officer. There were numerous times where prior to a stop the likelihood of getting a verbal warning was very probable. However, many times the main officer ended up writing a ticket for the full amount (mph) over. I would ask the officer why. In every case, it was the attitude of the driver. Cursing at the officer, lying , and making derogatory comments was oftentimes the reason that the officer's discretion went against the driver.
My time with the reserves was limited but eye-opening. I now understand why some officers act the way they do. If one is lied to and treated with nothing but contempt time and time again with whom one interacts, no wonder some officers think that all people are "criminals" and need to be dealt with in an aggressive manner.

Don't get me wrong, as a teacher I understand that "professionalism" requires one to adhere to a higher standard than personal opinion and am in no way condoning any of the aforementioned behaviors. Officers, and any other "professionals", do themselves and their colleagues no favors by forgetting the core values requisite in being a person who is "called" to such vocations. But, I do to some degree understand from where this hostility comes. Perhaps there really is nothing to be done about rudeness and disrespect so evident in society. Sure, it may seem antiquated and undemocratic to give up a seat to an older person while riding the bus, hold a door open for others , and greet strangers with a warm "Hello".. But, I think we can all do our part to not only behave as we believe others should, but bring it up a notch and behave at least a little bit better.

autosurgeon

imported post

I have to say that Dr. Todd said it better than I did... I too am a teacher and see this lack of respect and feel that if everyone would just make an effort that we would have a better world to live in.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

I remember seeing a dash cam video of a traffic stop. It was on a TV show. Day time western state. A woman (I think) was stopped and she was a maniac. Yelling, swearing at the LEO, throwing the ticket back at him, I mean she was a total freaking AH, I wanted to smash her face and I was watching from my lazyboy. BUT the LEO was professional, smiled, was polite, explained everything to her, picked up the ticket and handed it back to her. Thenhe said have a nice day and left.

Great control and professionalism by that officer. Unfortunately today in some cases she would have been hauled from the car and tazed, then handcuffed and arrested, but the point is there are great cops out there.

autosurgeon

imported post

Yep many of them do the right thing and never get recognized for there hard work and professionalism.

I too have seen videos like that and have to say the amount of control the officers showed over their emotions was amazing.

Kimberguy

imported post

ok, i am that OC buddy who gave wally a heads up. This guy is a friend of mine, and we have very different point of views. He personally, and I stress his personal beliefs are that no citizen should be aloud to carry a firearm, OC or CC. He believes it makes his job harder, now i'm not asking for a rebuttle to this, i'm just letting you know a little bit of our conversation.
Now, he patrols wally's area and what he tells me, gets a lot of calls about him. Again, I do not know how true this is. But he is waiting for wally to enter a CEZ so that he could charge him.
When I talked to wally, i told him this to give him a heads up that he is being watched with hopes that he will screw up. He simply just needs to take special care that he does not go anywhere that he shouldn't.
the piticular cop who i had this conversation with knows the laws quite well, and though he does not agree with what we do he does understand that it is legal, and folows the letter of the law. He has never nor will he harass any of us that he happens to ust see walking around. he is a good guy with a misinfomed point of view.

T Vance

imported post

So to be clear, where should Wally not go? Can he OC within 1000 feet of a school (I'm am still confused about this rule. I've heard yes and no)? Maybe make a list on here to make sure he knows what to do, and what not to do. I'm not saying he doesn't, but I'd hate to see him get "jammed up".

Now as far as whatyou wrote Kimberguy. You say "But he is waiting for wally to enter a CEZ so that he could charge him. When I talked to wally, i told him this to give him a heads up that he is being watched with hopes that he will screw up. He simply just needs to take special care that he does not go anywhere that he shouldn't. The piticular cop who i had this conversation with knows the laws quite well, and though he does not agree with what we do he does understand that it is legal, and folows the letter of the law. He has never nor will he harass any of us that he happens to ust see walking around. he is a good guy with a misinfomed point of view."

He has no plans to harass ANY of us that he happens to see walking around, yet he is watching Wally with hopes that he will screw up???!!! If these were his words, they seemcontradictory to me. How does this LEO know that he is getting calls about Wally? I live very close to him, and I OC in my yard, while I walk around with my dogs, and go for bike rides. I also OC at numerous stores in that very area. Those calls could be about me.

Tell your LEO friend about me OCing in the area, and that he shouldn't assume it's Wally he's getting calls about. This whole thing bothers me. :banghead: