• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry, a game to some?

matcodude69

imported post

here in wisconsin it is illegal to conceal carry, so some of us have no choice if we chose to be armed we must open carry

Pyro01

imported post

Those in WI can not transport a loaded firearm that is open carried. We must unload, case it up in the trunk, drive in car, take out of trunk and case, and load up again. I can't wait till Doyle is gone and we can get someone who supports CCW in office.

Beau

imported post

In a way it is a game. Albeit a game with very high stakes.

What is the primary reason to carry a firearm? For me it is to ensure the safety of my family. I call it the primary reason but it should be the only reason. Sadly it is not.

We are in a game and the stakes are our liberties. We are in a fight to keep the right to protect ourselves with the best tools available for the job. When I first started to open carry my reasons for doing so were far from political. Now the political aspect of it is my number 2 reason.

The game is well underway for our right to keep andbear arms. Today's, and yesterdays, children are being taught from the start that weapons are bad. They are taught that only police officers should carry guns. If you have a gun and your not a police officer your a bad guy. These kids become teachers, business people, store clerks, law enforcement, politicians etc..

Did you hear about the kid who was recently suspended from school and sentenced to 45 days in bad kid school? His crime was bringing a mess kit eating utensil to school. This handy little item had a folding fork, a spoon and you guessed it, a knife. What do you think his outlook on citizens carrying weapons is likely to be when he reaches adulthood? Unless society is shown that there can be, and are, people who carry firearms responsibly they will continue to follow the Shepard's path (ie. politicians, brady campaign etc.) to total disarmament.

Just like in any other game you'll see the occasional player taunt the opposing team in some way to try and get them to do something which would cause them to receive a penalty. In ourcase the foul isthe violation of our rightsand the penalty for the violators isbad publicity and loss of dollars.

Personally I don't go out of my way to get attention. I won't follow LE to get them to notice me. If asked to leave a store I will do so without a fuss. However, if I am confronted by anyone the recorder gets turned on. If my rights are violated by law enforcement I will be filling complaints and a lawsuit if necessary.

I have had many positive conversations with uninformed people while standing in line at Wal-Mart, a gas station, the neighborhood park etc.. I've had some pretty dirty looks thrown in my direction as well. I have yet to have a negative encounter with police and hope I never do. I will not back down though. I will not hide my firearm in shame when I enter the local grocery store just because I might scare or offend someone. I choose to play the game.

XD40coyote

imported post

What about the kilt wearing OC guys?

What about when I myself and another OCer walked by a deserted looking police station twice for shits and giggles?

And lastly- furries OCing LOL

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

heliopolissolutions wrote:
I'm sorry, but I can't get on board with decrying the "other" open carriers.

Walking about with exposed breasts and carrying a firearm openly for self defense, is a perfectly reasonable exercise of God given rights.

Treating it as a cat and mouse game, getting attention, protecting your family, protesting Byzantine government are all times where it is not up to me, a humble American citizen to say when another can or cannot exercise those rights.

There is no way that I have the moral or legal justification in which to say that someone is "wrong" for the legal exercise of their rights.
This.

Dreamer

imported post

XD40coyote wrote:

Hey, I own several "Sport Kilts" and one "UtilitKilt'. I've never carried while wearing a kilt, but maybe I might try that next summer. Talk about a real "conversation starter"... ;)

"Why do you have a gun?"

Because I'm wearing a Kilt..."

'nuff sed...

That is just WRONG on so many levels that I'm not even going to entertain the thought.

Darn, too late...

I'll NEVER get that image out of my head now. A giant female anime bunny rabbit with a pair of drop-leg holsters packing two Desert Eagles. (think Jessica Rabbit crossed with Lara Croft/Angelina Jolie)

Hot AND disturbing all at the same time... :celebrate

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I agree and far too many people open carry as the wrong type of activist and are looking for some type of confrontation with the public or law enforcement. Best thing to do, if you are going to carry a gun openly or concealed, do so nonchalantly and if confronted, handle your self accordingly. I don't find anything wrong with havinga group display of open carry such as gathering somewhere legal and having a cook out, of course, if you were to turn it into a protest that is pro-open carry, everyone there with a gun will be in violation (well, that is in North Carolina at least).

I think about the image of the guy walking around a political rally dressed nicely but with an AR-15 hanging down his back. That would get you arrested herein NC and when people asked him why, he states self defense. You know, an AR-15 in a crowd of people at a peaceful demonstration isn't self defense, it is dumb and honestly is not being carried for self defense. I'd like to see him go shopping with it on his back if that is how he really felt. I'd rather have seen him carryinga sidearm. Persons like that I think will hurt the effort of real-OC (or possession ofa gun period) more than help.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Wow.

I don't understand how deliberately looking for a confrontation with Law Enforcement could be anything BUT the PERFECT kind of OCing.

Please explain to me how one can have a confrontation with Law Enforcement while doing something that is perfectly legal? How can it even happen at all? Lay out all the 'bait' you want; if the Officer in question is honorable and decent, nothing will happen!

There is only one way. That is for the FALSE Law Enforcement to be enforcing something other than law.

Frankly, those who wear a badge and a uniform and deliberately go out into our society to abuse their position, assault citizens, strip them of their rights, and much worse, need much more than a confrontation.

Some are honestly uneducated. This is not more acceptable.

Doing something for the 'wrong' reasons is still better than NOT DOING A DAMN THING. There is no such thing as a good reason to sit on your thumbs and mock those who lack the yellow stripe.

Self-Defense.... What a sad excuse. Regardless of how you try to narrow the topic, carrying a gun has ALL of the desirable effects, no matter what you 'intend.' this is why "the reason" you (don't) OC is totally irrelevant.

Even the guy who does it for an ego trip is still doing good. The man who chastises him from the sidelines for having 'the wrong reason' is incapable of having a right one. The mental machinations of such a man all result in doing nothing. Evil loves nothing more, and such men that do nothing are no longer good men. He is no different than the 'conscientious objector' who tries to claim a badge of honor in his 'explanations.'

The 'explanations' of an anti-OCer are no less virulent and perverse. Attempting to explain that can never be seen as anything but an insult; because it is. But just the same as those who would silence a speak who is 'offensive,' do the anti-OCers try the same? Yes. But I think, for a different reason.

Be man enough to stop 'being offended' and using that as an excuse to suppress your own thoughts and suppress the actions of others. You know better. That's why you own guns in the first place. An inanimate object is no more prone to 'evil' in your closet, or anywhere else. A flawed perception, or a mind filled with propaganda and hatred will argue with fact.

Yes, it offensive. Offensive to ME that I should be forced to live in accordance with a lie because the truth makes you uncomfortable with yourself.

Is carrying a firearm to a political rally something that can be perceived as a threat? You're damn right it is! And that is precisely what our Founders intended it to be! Being 'reasonable' is what made our circumstance so UN-reasonable. Our 'leaders' do not hesitate for one second to remind us that they have guns pointed at us all. What else could ever dissuade them?

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't understand how that is the perfect kind of OCing...

You're supposed to be OCing to protect your self, your family, your property and any innocence that may be in danger (should you choose to help someone in danger).

Seeking a confrontation with Law Enforcement, I believe, only serves to exacerbate the problem with our rights to carry firearms, that is they are challenged more by anti-gun advocates and LE. If you want to educate the public do so in a way that is beneficial to everyone. Testing a cop's response to them (and sometimes the OCer) look dumb is not the brightest method. Now if you are out, and a cop approaches you and confronts you harshly about your firearm then you should record if possible and you should confront back, no questions asked. When challenged, protect, but don't seek the confrontation. You can protest in support for your 2nd amendment rights smarter than that.

Many LE Agencies have community out reach programs and events. If you really want to work on not being scrutinized by a cop every time you are seen with a handgun, INFORM INFORM INFORM, WORK WITH THEM, EDUCATE THE GENERAL PUBLIC, your neighbors, businesses, other government agencies and government leadership. Those videos of confrontations tend to throw fuel on the fire because the intention was noble, the plan and execution was bad. It is easier to work with and to gain the support of your local LEO's and government leaders and the community at large if you show them you are a sensible person.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:

Hey, I own several "Sport Kilts" and one "UtilitKilt'. I've never carried while wearing a kilt, but maybe I might try that next summer. Talk about a real "conversation starter"... ;)

"Why do you have a gun?"

'nuff sed...

That is just WRONG on so many levels that I'm not even going to entertain the thought.

Darn, too late...

I'll NEVER get that image out of my head now. A giant female anime bunny rabbit with a pair of drop-leg holsters packing two Desert Eagles. (think Jessica Rabbit crossed with Lara Croft/Angelina Jolie)

Whoa, I own one SportKilt, and a friend made another kilt for me out of moleskin fabric (good stuff). She is also one of these fuzzy leg boot wearin, bunny ear ears and such people but she sure doesn't carry a firearm, she should that would be extra hot.

I am working on getting another kilt from SportKilt! Utilikilts were a little too pricey for me and lots of Scottish wannabes around Greensboro have them. I just want a wear kilts like we want to open carry. I think a nice revolver will go nicely with my SportKilt, a holster setup as a cross drawsounds ideal.

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

tekshogun wrote:
Dreamer wrote:
XD40coyote wrote:

"Why do you have a gun?"

'nuff sed...

Darn, too late...

Whoa, I own one SportKilt, and a friend made another kilt for me out of moleskin fabric (good stuff). She is also one of these fuzzy leg boot wearin, bunny ear ears and such people but she sure doesn't carry a firearm, she should that would be extra hot.
Worthless without pics! :D

Decoligny

imported post

Reminds me of Crocodile Dundee II.

Mick is going out to harrass the bad guys who are after them.

Mick says "Fun isn't it?"

Sue says "Be careful Mick, this isn't a game."

Mick replies "It is to me!"

If the police hassle a lone open carrier for carrying a gun in a place where it is legal to carry a gun, don't we try to get together a group carry event or cookout in that same exact location?

It is fun. It is a game of sorts. A game likeCHESS. Move, countermove, thinking 10 moves ahead, and constantly strategizing. It is a game, but it has a purpose, and it has consequences if played incorrectly.

And then there are those who treat it like a game of checkers. Not a lot of forethought, not a lot of studying strategy or technique. These are the people who wind up in trouble.

Thundar

imported post

QFT

HankT wrote:
Another thing that can, and should, be done is to attempt to educate the "small minority of open carriers" who insist on playing games with the cops. Let's not celebrate the escapades of certain showoffs with poor judgment (e.g., danbus at Suffolk).
HankT=Gunbasher

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Let me tell ya', the kilt gets more attention than the .45.
FlintlockTom-1.jpg

©2009, K. Leicester

TEA Party rally, San Diego.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That is awsome.

My next purchase (VERY VERY SOON) will be a plaid pattern kilt since my two kilts are black. That would be nice to have it accented by a holstered sidearm.