Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Hunting in Alabama- more trouble than it's worth?

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Plymouth, MN, ,
    Posts
    250

    Post imported post

    Got a wild hare to go hunt up some bunnies on the local WMA. If nothing else, I figured it was just a good excuse to get out of the house. Then I got to trying to figure out what the rules were.

    This makes the carry laws seem clear cut! The words license and permit are tossed about like sprinkles on an ice cream cone. Hunting license, season permit, WMA permit, signed map, landowner permit. I can't figure it out.

    Screw it. I just had a craving for some rabbit chops.

    It's like I've always said. If you didn't grow up hunting, it's impossible to start.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Decatur, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    13

    Post imported post

    Well i hunt the diffrent wma's all the time all over the state and what you need is a Hunting license, with the wma on your Hunting license which costs a extra 16 bucks, then you will need a permit (map&regulations) of the wma your gonna hunt which is free and you can also get on outdoor alabama and print it and all you gotta do is sign and date it, thats all you will need to hunt on the wma, now if your hunting somebody else's land you will need a signed permit from the landowner for this years hunting season since alabama is a "permit" state which you can also find and print on outdoor alabama or just write up your own, hope this helps you out

    www.outdooralabama.com

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    guntersville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    I felt the same way... I just stick to private property so that all that junk dont apply.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069

    Post imported post

    steveman01 wrote:
    I felt the same way... I just stick to private property so that all that junk dont apply.
    Ya'll got hog up there? I've never hunted hog down here because it's all gone elitist with guides and trophy fees and sundry loads of sissy bullsh!t like that.

    He's right, it's damn hard to start hunting if you never have. I don't know anybody with vast tracts of land covered in hogs who isn't charging to be a guide and all that crap I just said.

    Otherwise, I'd probably be out there right now... In below freezing.

    I just realized I said "down here" in an Alabama thread... Should I be getting my ass kicked for reminding you that there is something more south than Alabama now, or do I take a number and wait in line?


    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    guntersville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    ixtow wrote:
    Ya'll got hog up there? I've never hunted hog down here because it's all gone elitist with guides and trophy fees and sundry loads of sissy bullsh!t like that.


    yep. your right though the trick is findin someone with the land and the willingness to let you hunt.


  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Eight Mile, , USA
    Posts
    234

    Post imported post

    ixtow wrote:
    steveman01 wrote:
    I felt the same way... I just stick to private property so that all that junk dont apply.
    Ya'll got hog up there? I've never hunted hog down here because it's all gone elitist with guides and trophy fees and sundry loads of sissy bullsh!t like that.

    He's right, it's damn hard to start hunting if you never have. I don't know anybody with vast tracts of land covered in hogs who isn't charging to be a guide and all that crap I just said.

    Otherwise, I'd probably be out there right now... In below freezing.

    I just realized I said "down here" in an Alabama thread... Should I be getting my ass kicked for reminding you that there is something more south than Alabama now, or do I take a number and wait in line?

    LOL!!!! I seriously LOL'ed at your post.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    guntersville, Alabama, USA
    Posts
    111

    Post imported post

    yeah, I'd say alabama's got hogs:

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,394344,00.html

    But you may want to bring a little more than the usual hog hunting equipment, and apparently be ready for death threats from "Hog Huggers".

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069

    Post imported post

    steveman01 wrote:
    yeah, I'd say alabama's got hogs:

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,394344,00.html

    But you may want to bring a little more than the usual hog hunting equipment, and apparently be ready for death threats from "Hog Huggers".
    The threats just make it taste better.
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

  9. #9
    Regular Member NY2AZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Yuma, Arizona, USA
    Posts
    75

    Post imported post

    steveman01 wrote:
    yeah, I'd say alabama's got hogs:

    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,394344,00.html

    But you may want to bring a little more than the usual hog hunting equipment, and apparently be ready for death threats from "Hog Huggers".
    G.D. Hippies!!!!!!

    It was probably Cass Sunstein and his friends
    If ever you find yourself in a situation where you can't be safe, be violent!

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,170

    Post imported post

    Ixtow, where are you at in that tropical depression (not so tropical right now though)

    I travel to Ruskin sometimes, and I am always looking for someone to hunt with.

    I used to hunt pigs between Bradenton & Arcadia/myakka city. (over 20 years ago though)I am sure there has got to be some places outside of Brandon or even around Largo, what part of the state are you near?? You do not need to be specific if you don't want, just a general idea.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member ixtow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Suwannee County, FL
    Posts
    5,069

    Post imported post

    Nutczak wrote:
    Ixtow, where are you at in that tropical depression (not so tropical right now though)

    I travel to Ruskin sometimes, and I am always looking for someone to hunt with.

    I used to hunt pigs between Bradenton & Arcadia/myakka city. (over 20 years ago though)I am sure there has got to be some places outside of Brandon or even around Largo, what part of the state are you near?? You do not need to be specific if you don't want, just a general idea.
    I recently escaped the frying pan region, only to find myself in the fire... I thought my Profile location was a give away... ;-)
    "The fourth man's dark, accusing song had scratched our comfort hard and long..."
    http://edhelper.com/poetry/The_Hangm...rice_Ogden.htm

    https://gunthreadadapters.com

    "Be not intimidated ... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your Liberties by any pretense of Politeness, Delicacy, or Decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for Hypocrisy, Chicanery, and Cowardice." - John Adams

    Tyranny with Manners is still Tyranny.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •