• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Open Carry

Valcore

imported post

Well first ofall thanks for all the posts i've really enjoyed reading them and it gave me a better understanding of the law and my rights. Its been helpfulto be able to see everything you all have posted. Coming out of the military this is all new to me as i adjust to civilian life.

Obviously i had my first open carry. It was yesterday i walked into the supermarket across from me and walgreens. I wish i had some cool story like these others but it was uneventful i noticed maybe 1 person who actually saw i had a firearm. For the most part people don't even notice. I've yet to be challenged or asked (of which i'm not looking forward to yet). Today i actually worked up the guts to carry up in Boulder (where i work) and at the AMC in Highlands Ranchwhere i live.

I do however have a few questions. I'm fairly clear that i can carry open anywhere but Denver county. However i am a bit unclear as to how i can carry. Can i carry loaded as in condition 1 (round in chamber) I don't see much of a point in having a sidearm if you're not able to use it quickly. Are there any counties or area's that i need to be aware of what condition my weapon is in?

Also I don't yet have my CC permit, i am taking the class this Saturday and should have the paperwork in within the next 2 weeks to Douglas county sheriff. Since the weather is changing its not easy to wear a t-shirt tucked in of course all the time. What constitutes concealed if i wear a swear and some of the material falls over the hand grip, or does 50%, all of the weapon have tobe out of site? Of course having a permit will help with thisbut in the meantime.... what do i need to be aware of.

Finally i spoke with DC Sheriff in regards to the OC laws. He did tell me one thing that i found interesting that when i am in my car with a firearm there needs to be 1 thing between me and my weapon. ie door on the glove box. What about my holster does that count?

Sorry for all the questions but these are a few things i've not been able to find yet in posts on this site. Hopefully someone out there will be able to clear this up.

BTW i have a SIG P220 .45 elite and a blackgalco holster.

bomber

imported post

As far as what the Sheriff told you, I think he is wrong. There is nothing in the CO statute that says anything about that.

http://cbi.state.co.us/ic/statutes/18-12-204.htm

(3) (a) A person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:
(I) The handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense; or

I just follow the general rule that cops lie about stuff like this all the time

congrats on your first OC.

Valcore

imported post

I kind of figured he was telling me what would make him most comfortable if he ever pulled me over. It is hard to get the truth out of cops since for the most part they don't seem to want you to OP anywhere. He told me that I should probably not OP unless i'm at a range since it will make people nervous.

mahkagari

imported post

I don't think the LEO's are actively lying. They just get mixed up like anyone who doesn't scrutinize the law and assume what they think is logical is what the law is in fact.

bomber

imported post

mahkagari wrote:
I don't think the LEO's are actively lying. They just get mixed up like anyone who doesn't scrutinize the law and assume what they think is logical is what the law is in fact.

I don't know. You'd hope that at least the Sheriff would know the law.

mahkagari

imported post

You'd hope. But if they do, you'd hope they're not going to purposefully lie about it.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

bomber wrote:
mahkagari wrote:

El Paso County's does. He supports OC and encourages residents to obtain their CC permit as well.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

Getting used to OC is much like when you first start CC. You feel conspicuous like you've got two heads and everyone is staring, pointing, and whispering about you. Then you settle down and realize that most people are so deeply entrenched in condition white as to be effectively asleep on their feet.

The closest thing to a negative response I've ever gotten to OC is a very occasional double-take or an even rarer :what:.... but both without saying a word.

My one and only comment from a LEO was a county deputy drooling over my S&W 629MG and slobbering about how much he's been wanting one too.

Flyer22

imported post

Valcore wrote:
Also I don't yet have my CC permit, i am taking the class this Saturday and should have the paperwork in within the next 2 weeks to Douglas county sheriff. Since the weather is changing its not easy to wear a t-shirt tucked in of course all the time. What constitutes concealed if i wear a swear and some of the material falls over the hand grip, or does 50%, all of the weapon have tobe out of site? Of course having a permit will help with thisbut in the meantime.... what do i need to be aware of.

Since we're getting near winter, here's something that may be helpful.

[align=justify]CRS 18-12-105 deals with unlawful concealment of weapons. However, (2)(b) of this section says, "It shall not be an offense if the defendant was: A person in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who carries a weapon for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property while traveling."[/align]
[align=justify]In other words, you can CC in your vehicle without a permit, and as long as you don't get out of your vehicle during the trip, you're completely legal.[/align]

Anubis

imported post

18-12-204 was added in 2003 with the new shall-issue statutes, but I am pretty sure the loaded-pistol-in-vehicle-OK was Colorado law long before 2003. Except for Denver, CO has always been an unlicensed open-carry state and unlicensed vehicle carry is a fundamental part of open carry.

So it's hard for me to understand how any Colorado LEO could be confused about this.

zach

imported post

bomber wrote:
mahkagari wrote:

Did you speak to the actual Sheriff, or a deputy?

That should be cleared up before assuming who misstated the law.