• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New to site, gun owning, OCing

seh87

imported post

Ok, first, a few short things about me.
I'm 21, Female, living in western Kentucky, and just bought my first gun (Kel-Tec P3AT, very pleased with it). I mention theses things bc they all come into play with my questions.

As mentioned, I very recently purchased this gun. I do not yet have a holster and no CCDW (in the process). I have it and therefore do not want to leave it at home or away from my person unless necessary. Around the house I generally keep it with or near me and when traveling I have been keeping it in the glove box.
Is that all I can do at this point, or is there some manner of OCing without a holster?

Also, any thoughts regarding a young female OCing? I am undecided how I feel about this. I am concerned that it may draw attention that would otherwise not be there; and if any jeers of any sort are directed toward me, I would have nothing but said gun to protect myself. (I use this only in opposition to some of my male friends who deter such behavior simply by being somewhat intimidating.)

Any thoughts, suggestions appreciated.

Thanks! :)

turbodog

imported post

Welcome to the site and OCing!

Always nice to see that another woman has joined the ranks. You might find this site of interest: http://www.corneredcat.com

A lot of people dislike the idea of OCing a small caliber handgun. Because of their size, they were clearly meant for CC. But carry what works best for you in whatever manner you like. Wether you have limitations in hand size, finances or recoil handleing, anything is better than nothing when one's butt is on the line. Once you get your permit you may just prefer to conceal. The trouble with small hanguns like the P3AT (if one wishes to OC it) is finding a suitable holster. Plenty available for IWB but finding a quality OWB holster is more difficult. Desantis makes one: O32BA96Z0 and there are others, you just have to look a bit. Get one with a retention feature. One that's easy for you to release quickly. Those cheap holsters often seen at gunshows, with a nylon strap that velcro's over the gunbutt are not worth a damn.

Regarding attention, I think in general, most people don't notice when a person is carrying a sidearm. Of course (not trying to be sexist here) being a young female, you're bound to get more scrutiny than an old guy like me :D, so you are likely to get more strange looks. That doesn't mean disaproval! You may even have other women come ask you about it in a positive way. Should you run into a smartass, ignore him. You can maybe try to educate him but don't waste your time in debating with an obvious idiot. Be polite but walk on. Know your state and local laws regarding firearm carry. You'll make a better impression if you sound like a knowledgable and responsible firearms owner.

If you believe you may be at risk of having someone try to disarm you, I would recommend you find someone who teaches retention techniques. Learn em and practice with a friend until the moves are automatic. Then someone might get a big surprise if they try!

Good luck!

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

seh87 wrote:
Also, any thoughts regarding a young female OCing? I am undecided how I feel about this. I am concerned that it may draw attention that would otherwise not be there;
The Keltec isn't a good gun to OC. It's a fine littleCC gun. Most people won't notice a gun that small.

seh87 wrote:
...and if any jeers of any sort are directed toward me, I would have nothing but said gun to protect myself. (I use this only in opposition to some of my male friends who deter such behavior simply by being somewhat intimidating.)

Why do "jeers of any sort" have to generate thought about having"nothing buta ...gun" to protect yourself? I'm not seeing the linkage...

In any case, surely, you have some verbal skillz to fend off jeering male verbal comments....

Guns are not for jeering comments. They are for self-defense against people would try to seriously injure or kill you. Serious business, that.

Welcome to OCDO. There is a lot of good information here.

seh87

imported post

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

I do plan to CC with my .380, but I was just wondering what the best way to keep it with me now would be? To be OC does it have to be holstered?

Undertaker

imported post

I like my P3AT as well. I usually carry IWB (Inside Waist Band) but am also searching for a quality belt holster. I'm not bothered by the fact that it's not a big hog leg. I don't carry it to impress anyone, just to protect myself. Welcome to the site and as I've learned here, don't get discouraged by the immature remarks spat out by a few idiots. There are some very learned and respected people here who will offerexcellent advice and knowledge.

langzaiguy

imported post

Technically speaking, there is no stipulation for a firearm to be holstered. Obviously you can't walk around with it in your hand. Without a holster, I suppose we're only left with the options of tucking it in your waist band or in your pocket. Personally speaking, I wouldn't carry that way because 1)not as professional and 2)no retention.

My dad has that gun and has a OWB holster for it. It does look a little strange (it being so small), but hey, it works. In fact, it looks more like a holstered cell phone.

RJHORSE66

imported post

WELCOME TO THEGUN CARRYING WORLD AND TO THE FORUM AND I AGREE YOU SHOULD DO WHAT YOU FEEL THE MOST COMFORTABLE DOING AS FAR AS OC/DC

AGAIN WELCOME . AND JUST FOR THE RECORD I THINK A LADY WITH A GUN IS SEXY ANDSAYSTHAT YOU ARE NOT GOING TO BE A EASY TARGET !!! :D

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

langzaiguy wrote:
Technically speaking, there is no stipulation for a firearm to be holstered. Obviously you can't walk around with it in your hand.

Hmm, why not?

Wouldn't not doing it be acquiescing to some societal or LE infringement or somethingon 2A?

Hmmm, what would MEM say? (WWMS)

langzaiguy

imported post

1)Well I have no idea what MEM or WWMS is.

2)Maybe you're unintentionally correct, I can't find anything in KRS that talks about brandishing a weapon (except in a vehicle). Can anyone else find something?

3)Do you really have to hijack someone else's post with an asinine comment?

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Welcome to OCDO missy. Good to see more women folk joining the ranks.

Did a quick check for holsters on a web supplier I have a link to. They have a leather belt slide thunb break holster for the P3AT made by Triple K Manufacutring that shouldn't break the bank.

http://www.cowboyneeds.com/420.html

You should get a mag carrier for an extra mag as well. Maybe a double carrier.

Don't worry about what kind of looks you might get. Most people don't seem to notice handguns hanging on our hip. I carry a SA .45 Colt clone (a hogleg) and some folks don't seem to notice it.

The .380 isalso known asa 9mm short (9x17), not exactly a wimpy firearm by any means.

Keep an eye on this forum, there are some more OC'ers in Bowling Green. Maybe they'll have a meet and greet sometime and you can meet them.

mellio

imported post

Hi and welcome to the forum and to firearms ownership.You are on the right track by asking questions and educating yourself. There are a lot of people out there who are willing to tell you what the law is. Most people "out there " don't know what the hell there talking about. I have found for the most part this forum is a good place to find informed opinions on what the law is. Just remember what most people say to you is there OPINION of the law. You should read the KRS for yourself and add that information to what you get here and you will have a pretty good understanding of the law. You can accidently get yourself in trouble if your not carefull. The ccdw class will teach you a good amount about the law. You should write down any questions you have between now and when you take your class so you can ask your instructor.

I also have a P3AT.It would be a hard gun to OC. It's so small you have to be carefullnot to accidently conceal it. It will be a great gun to conceal once you have your permit though.

jaegan

imported post

I'll add a Hello and welcome in there, and also a thumbs down on the P3AT (Not a negative to the gun, just a reminder to keep your thumbs down when shooting it. I have a nice scar across the back of my right thumb as a reminder.) ;)

Can't remember if we're allowed to link other forums here, but theres a very good kel-tec forum I'll be happy to send you the link to if ya want.

I never got around to getting an OWB holster for my P3AT, since I have a ccdw and carry it in a pocket holster, but I know fobus makes one. I have a fobus for one of my K-frame S&W's and I like it pretty well. Best thing from a trying it out standpoint is fobus are relatively inexpensive compared to most other options.