• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you have an anti-gun neighbor?

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ed wrote:
HankT wrote:
ed wrote:
Ok.. so you are giving advice to the bad guy. He breaks in and your anti-gun neighbor is indeed armed and shoots the BG. Now the BG's family sues YOU for clearly stating that the neighbor was not armed and the democratic courtroom will find you liable.
????
Ok. I am Ed. My anti-gun neighbor is Bill. Thug is the Bad Guy. I put the sign in MY yard saying that Bills House is anti gun and Bill is unaramed. Based on my sign, Thug breaks in to murder/death/kill Bill. Bill really is armed he just loves Obama and stuff. Thug gets shot by Bill. Thugs family files a civil suit against me for falsly telling (via sign in my yard) Thug that Bill next doot is not armed.:banghead:

Oh.....uhm,....interesting ...er, uhm, ....an interesting ....progression....

65.gif

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ed wrote:
HankT wrote:
ed wrote:
Ok.. so you are giving advice to the bad guy. He breaks in and your anti-gun neighbor is indeed armed and shoots the BG. Now the BG's family sues YOU for clearly stating that the neighbor was not armed and the democratic courtroom will find you liable.
????
Ok. I am Ed. My anti-gun neighbor is Bill. Thug is the Bad Guy. I put the sign in MY yard saying that Bills House is anti gun and Bill is unaramed. Based on my sign, Thug breaks in to murder/death/kill Bill. Bill really is armed he just loves Obama and stuff. Thug gets shot by Bill. Thugs family files a civil suit against me for falsly telling (via sign in my yard) Thug that Bill next doot is not armed.:banghead:
And Bill sues you for false advertising. :)

Yata hey

Wangmuf

imported post

HankT wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
All my neighbors know that I carry, and are glad of it.

The woman next door came home once to an open garage door and could not recall if she left it that way.

She came by to ask me to sweep her house before going in.

Did you do it? With a gun?

Do you have any training in this kind of activity?
I was trained on how to walk through a house when I was about 14 months old. Since then, I've walked through many houses. I've swept houses, fast food restaurants, family restaurants, commercial machine rooms, commercial air plenums.... suffice it to say I have extensive experience sweeping many different kinds of structures.

Now, if my neighbor happened to ask me to walk through her house after telling me that there should be nobody in the home, since everyone with permitted access is accounted for, and outside of the home, and I encounter someone neither I nor the homeowner knows, and, out of fear for my life, since they obviously presented themselves to me as a threat, I pointed a gun at them (and possibly shot them), What's your problem with that?

Take your morality/legality qualms somewhere else.

(of course, in the above mentioned situation, I'd tell her to call the cops, and allow her to stay in my home until they arrived.)

Harper1227

imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
HankT wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

The woman next door came home once to an open garage door and could not recall if she left it that way.

I was trained on how to walk through a house when I was about 14 months old. Since then, I've walked through many houses. I've swept houses, fast food restaurants, family restaurants, commercial machine rooms, commercial air plenums.... suffice it to say I have extensive experience sweeping many different kinds of structures.

Now, if my neighbor happened to ask me to walk through her house after telling me that there should be nobody in the home, since everyone with permitted access is accounted for, and outside of the home, and I encounter someone neither I nor the homeowner knows, and, out of fear for my life, since they obviously presented themselves to me as a threat, I pointed a gun at them (and possibly shot them), What's your problem with that?

(of course, in the above mentioned situation, I'd tell her to call the cops, and allow her to stay in my home until they arrived.)

come on wangmuf, don't you see we all just ignore him. obviously no one should really expect every gun/homeowner to have tactical entry training. he's just instigating.Glock did right by his neighbor and I would do the same. only question i have forhim is what kinda flashlight did you have :)

edited bc i apparently cant read goods no mur. :)

Glock27Bill

imported post

HankT wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
I figured she just left her garage door open, and walked through the house for her.

It was not an obvious breaking & entering, just a forgetful neighbor.

Did you have a gun when you walked through the house? Was it out of its holster when you walked through the house?

Yes, I usually have my gun on me.

No, it was not out of the holster, it was just a stroll to give my neighbor peace of mind, not an Airsoft tacticool exercise.

I've given similar aid to neighbors before I began carrying, this would have been no different.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

ed wrote:
While one can be sued for pretty much anything, this would be a hard sell to a jury if the shoot was in fact ruled as excusable. Could all depend upon the knowledge and competency of your attorney.

And INAL.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:

Years ago when we lived in Arlington, some of our friends were liberals - we became friends through our children and their schools. Well the husband of one of the families was frequently out of town on business and one night when he was gone, his wife called my wife saying she had heard something in her basement and wondered if I could come by and check it out - and to bring a gun with me. Now mind you, they had not guns and use to enjoy kidding me about owning and liking them. But now that she was scared, and she really was scared, all of her left-leaning anti thoughts about guns somehow found a different home.

So I did as she asked and all turned out Ok. But I do not recommend clearing a house, oven my own, if there is a threat of someone uninvited inside. It is just not safe and I do not have the training. But then the other side of me says, "well why would you want to put an LEO's life in danger if you're not willing to put your own in danger, too?". This is a very valid question to me and who's better to do this than someone who knows the lay of the home? Not easy being a cop.

Oh, BTW, the liberal lady mentioned above? Her son held opposite beliefs and she asked me to take him shooting if I would - which I did a few times. He's now a Naval officer.

Glock27Bill

imported post

True enough, Ed.

If there had been any signs of forced entry, or an unlocked entry to the house, I would have had her come into my house and call the cops.

It was obvious that she just forgot to put the garage door down after she left.

I probably should not have used the word "sweep," as all I did was walk though to make sure things were OK for her.

And I would have done this before I started carrying, assuming that (1) there were no signs of entry and (2) a man would be less at risk doing this than a woman.

Not being macho, just neighbourly.

wylde007

imported post

HankT wrote:

Probably just as much training as you have at running off at the mouth. He's as well-versed in exercising the 2nd as you are in the 1st.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Glock27Bill wrote:
snip...... (2) a man would be less at risk doing this than a woman.
Incoming !!:shock:

Aaah, no ladies, I don't even know him.
:lol:

Yata hey

jadedone4

imported post

HOA tells you can't post in front/back yard, make copies and place in windows - same jokers had issues with my "*****" security sign in front-yard, so I just put it in the window, inside my domain, etc.

Glock27Bill

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:
snip...... (2) a man would be less at risk doing this than a woman.
Incoming !!:shock:

Aaah, no ladies, I don't even know him.
:lol:

Yata hey

Crap.

I'm too old to remember these new confounded rules.

What I MEANT to say was that she was too busy changing the oil in my truck to tend to it herself.

Yeh, that's the ticket.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
My HOA would definitely not allow me to leave that in my yard. I find it hilarious though.
One reason I will NEVER live in adevelopment with a HOA again. Nobody is going to tell me what I can and can't do with my home...what colors Ihave topaint it, what kind of windows I can replace the existing ones with...what I can and can't park in MY driveway...etc...NEVER again!

Jason Rogers

imported post

HankT wrote:
ed wrote:
HankT wrote:
ed wrote:
????

65.gif

I think this little bit of funny occured to all non a______and Ed posted it. I know I am in violation of some rule or other but you realy are an a______, HankT. Youwhere extreemly direspectfulto my wife in anothertread and now you are messing with Ed. Ed is VERY respected on this forum and in the real world open carry movement.

You may think that you always play the devils advocate but you are just a contrary a______. In the above quoted post you are clearly being a non devils advocate a______.

Do you Openly Carry a hand gun?

Are you capable of not being an a______?

If the answer to ether of these questions is no, would you just go away?

And Hank, before you point out that you have over 4,000 posts and I only ahve a couple, Don't. Because almost everybody on the Virginia page has met me at an open carry event and know I don't come here to be a Troll or just talk down to people.

As a parting shot HTPOSD is hardly original enough for you call it hankt's postulate.

Very Disrespectfyully, Jason M. Rogers.

Harper1227

imported post

Jason Rogers wrote:
HankT wrote:
ed wrote:
HankT wrote:
ed wrote:
????
<snip

65.gif

Youwhere extremely direspectfulto my wife in anothertread and now you are messing with Ed. Ed is VERY respected on this forum and in the real world open carry movement.

<snip>

<----- <blushing>

my knight is shining armor.

you don't worry you're pretty little head about that troll. just ignore him baby.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
HankT wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

Well, I'd like to think I would do the same. But I'd be tempted, especially if I thought it was just a forgetful neighbor and saw no signs of entry to do what G27B did.

I think your choice is better, though, under all circumstances.

Youmissed the mark with the sweeping experiences you mentioned. Reference was made previously to a different use of the word. I think you are a little confused.

Harper1227

imported post

HankT wrote:
Wangmuf wrote:
HankT wrote:
Glock27Bill wrote:

I was trained on how to walk through a house when I was about 14 months old. Since then, I've walked through many houses. I've swept houses, fast food restaurants, family restaurants, commercial machine rooms, commercial <snip>

Well, I'd like to think I would do the same. But I'd be tempted, especially if I thought it was just a forgetful neighbor and saw no signs of entry to do what G27B did.

I think your choice is better, though, under all circumstances.

Youmissed the mark with the sweeping experiences you mentioned. Reference was made previously to a different use of the word. I think you are a little confused.

REALLY! under ALL circumstances? thats a pretty blanket statement when lives could be at stake.

So, if I step outside my front door to let my dog pee real quick (being home alone with my two kids and I can't take him for a walk without waking them) and lets say i hear my side doors screen slap closed and I go look and the interior door is cracked open a bit.

NOW maybe I left it open earlier - but i didn't - maybe it was the wind - BUT maybe it wasnt.

YOU THINK the best thing to do is to go to my neighbors house and leave my children ALONE in a house that may or may not have an Intruder/serial killer/rapist/pedophile/drunken wacko in it. And just waituntil a phone call is made, situation explained, police disbatched, miles driven, and then situation re-explained when said officers arrive, and wait for them to enter my house, not knowing anything about the layout of my house or my children?

that goes beyond your usual incendiary to just lunacy.

I pray to the good lord you don't have kids. AND that you're not my neighbor.