• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AMTRACK

proud_to_serveUSAF

imported post

I'm headed to AL next weekend and taking the train down and driving back. I definatley want to at least pack my gun to go down there with but I just saw they don't allow it, even if you check your bag (according to their website). However, I was thinking that I read something that someone posted not that long ago that says it's now legal to carry on them. Anybody know if that's changed recently or is their website correct?

Wangmuf

imported post

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=31693&forum_id=54&highlight=amtrak

Check out Mike's post, #3:

Mike wrote:
remember, nobody commits a crime under federal law (unless you count DC law) for carrying your gun on AMTRAK, even it is against AMTRAK's non-criminal "rules," which are questionable constitutionally under Lebron v. National R.R. Passenger Corp., 513 U.S. 374 (1995) (holding that where the Government creates a corporation by special law (i.e., AMTRAK) for the furtherance of governmental objectives, and retains for itself permanent authority to appoint a majority of that corporation's directors, the corporation is part of the Government for purposes of the First Amendment).

IANAL. I believe there is an "if" missing after even.

Edit: Alternately, you could always opt to mail yourself the pistol however you legally can.

NoVA York

imported post

You are right about Amtrak, but not yet, not yet...

Senator Roger Wicker (R-MS) introduced Senate Amendment 2366 to the 2010 Transportation-Housing & Urban Development Appropriations Act (House Resolution 3288).

The amendment, to permit Amtrak passengers to safely transport firearms and ammunition in their checked baggage, was approved on September 16th, by a vote of 68 Yea to 30 Nay.

H.R. 3288 was passed by the Senate on September 17th and a message on the Senate's actions were sent to the House on the 20th. That is where it sits now.

Link to H.R. 3288: http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h3288/show
Link to Wicker's Amdt.: http://www.govtrack.us/congress/amendment.xpd?session=111&amdt=s2366

TFred

imported post

If you carry concealed (or open, but I can't imagine that going over well) on your person, just make sure you are certain of the states you will be traveling through, and each of their laws on the matter. I doubt being on a train will excuse you from violating the law in the state you happen to be in.

If someone (such as a conductor) happens to glimpse your concealed handgun, they could wait until you are in an "unfriendly" state to turn you in to the locals...

TFred

usaf0906

imported post

TFred wrote:
If you carry concealed (or open, but I can't imagine that going over well) on your person, just make sure you are certain of the states you will be traveling through, and each of their laws on the matter. I doubt being on a train will excuse you from violating the law in the state you happen to be in.

If someone (such as a conductor) happens to glimpse your concealed handgun, they could wait until you are in an "unfriendly" state to turn you in to the locals...

TFred
I thought that if you were traveling straight through, it has to be legal where you start and where you finish, as long as there are no stops along the way.

TFred

imported post

cbackous wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred
I thought that if you were traveling straight through, it has to be legal where you start and where you finish, as long as there are no stops along the way.
The Federal interstate transport laws seem to apply to car / vehicle travel, and the gun must be secured in the trunk or otherwise inaccessable to the driver / passengers. That is hardly the case when you are carrying it concealed... (Remember, current Amtrak rules prohibit checking in your baggage.)

TFred

usaf0906

imported post

TFred wrote:
cbackous wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred
The Federal interstate transport laws seem to apply to car / vehicle travel, and the gun must be secured in the trunk or otherwise inaccessable to the driver / passengers. That is hardly the case when you are carrying it concealed... (Remember, current Amtrak rules prohibit checking in your baggage.)

TFred
Ahh ok, now that you mention that I remember. Thanks for clearing that up.

rmodel65

imported post

cbackous wrote:
TFred wrote:
cbackous wrote:
TFred wrote:

TFred

TFred
Ahh ok, now that you mention that I remember. Thanks for clearing that up.

the train is a car :p :celebrateit would be nice to be able to ride from here in GA to say PA on amtrak armed

proud_to_serveUSAF

imported post

So another question I guess. What about if the firearm is disassembled and I send some parts down with my parents when they drive and pack some parts. If they can't be assembledsince neither of us haveall the parts is it still technically a firearm?

Here's the story: My parents need help moving some things from our house in AL that we're selling. They are paying for me to take the train down and then I'll drive a truck back. I guess I can dealbeing w/o it on the train as it looks like I don't have any other legal option, but I don't want to get them in any trouble with giving one of my guns to them to carry down before hand in their car. They don't know all the laws and what states require what so I don't even want to bother with trying to tell them and make sure they do it. So if I separate the pieces for the trip down, can I still pack like the slide and some other random pieces in my bag legally?

rmodel65

imported post

the lower receiver is the gun.... it matters not if its disassembled

fairfax1

imported post

TFred
What happens in you take the autotrain? That is where they ship your car right on the train. Your gun could be locked in the trunk. Plus, your car isn't baggage.

TFred

imported post

fairfax1 wrote:
TFred
What happens in you take the autotrain? That is where they ship your car right on the train. Your gun could be locked in the trunk. Plus, your car isn't baggage.
Ha ha good question, I don't know...

The autotrain only goes through Virginia, North and South Carolina, Georgia and Florida. I don't know all the rules for those states, but at least it's not going through DC!

Plus, I don't think it ever stops along the way.

TFred

imported post

You are correct about no stops for paasengers. The vehicles are loaded on closed in rail cars in Lorton, VAor Sanford, FL.If memory serves me correctly, you retain the keys to the trunk. The only stops are for red signals and a fuel/engineer/conductor change stop.