• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A long story for a minor OC reference...

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

This is largely unrelated to OC, but there was an interesting OC tidbit that only really makes sense if I tell you the story.

Wednesday night, my apartment was unlawfully entered through the sliding glass door by use of a large piece of flying asphalt.

A few things were stolen, including my XBOX 360, lots of games, my camera, several AK magazines [though I had the AK with me], and, perhaps the scariest, my Mossberg 500.

THway and myself cleared my apartment to make sure there was nobody still inside [although, in retrospect, it would have been best just to cover the entrances and not enter]

I then called the Canton 911. I told them what happened, and then informed them that me and my companion were armed, and to tell that to the police.

Insert OC reference:
Canton 911 then asked "So then where on your person are the guns, are you, like, Open Carrying?"

Even in my state of disbelief I was kind of amused by that question.

Anyway... I had a suspect of my own, and told the Canton officers as much. I don't want to post anything much here while the rather laughable 'investigation' is going on, but I was correct, and the Canton cops did a fantastic job, found all of my items including the shotgun, and made two arrests, one of whom was violating parole for causing a death while driving drunk.

lapeer20m

imported post

most of the time we only take time out of our day to send corrective or negative feedback to the police. It would be very nice if you were to send a letter to the PD just to thank them for doing such a fine job recovering your stuff!

PDinDetroit

imported post

lapeer20m wrote:
most of the time we only take time out of our day to send corrective or negative feedback to the police. It would be very nice if you were to send a letter to the PD just to thank them for doing such a fine job recovering your stuff!
+1, and for no issues during the Canton picnic.

Glad you got your stuff back!

G

imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:
This is largely unrelated to OC, but there was an interesting OC tidbit that only really makes sense if I tell you the story.

Wednesday night, my apartment was unlawfully entered through the sliding glass door by use of a large piece of flying asphalt.

A few things were stolen, including my XBOX 360, lots of games, my camera, several AK magazines [though I had the AK with me], and, perhaps the scariest, my Mossberg 500.

THway and myself cleared my apartment to make sure there was nobody still inside [although, in retrospect, it would have been best just to cover the entrances and not enter]

I then called the Canton 911. I told them what happened, and then informed them that me and my companion were armed, and to tell that to the police.

Insert OC reference:
Canton 911 then asked "So then where on your person are the guns, are you, like, Open Carrying?"

Even in my state of disbelief I was kind of amused by that question.

Anyway... I had a suspect of my own, and told the Canton officers as much. I don't want to post anything much here while the rather laughable 'investigation' is going on, but I was correct, and the Canton cops did a fantastic job, found all of my items including the shotgun, and made two arrests, one of whom was violating parole for causing a death while driving drunk.
"Canton 911 then asked 'So then where on your person are the guns? Are you the one open carrying the AK47 in the picture that's all over the net?'":celebrate

And you thought noboby noticed.

Glad you got your stuff back.

Wglide90

imported post

Hey Evil Creamsicle, Sorry that happened to your place. Sounds like it turned out as well as possible though. Since the chilli picnic in Canton and this quick action to help you, givesa positive outlook for the Cops there.

Sounds like they did a great job and deserve recognition. It is a positive occurence for the carry cause and Canton seems to be acceptive.

Way to go on handling it so well too.

THway

imported post

Anyway... I had a suspect of my own, and told the Canton officers as much.
For some reason, this person sticks out in my mind...... But in America you are innocent until proven guilty by a jury of your peers. BUT that only works if your not already on parole. Then your just screwed because you just go back to prison for a while....

http://www.state.mi.us/mdoc/asp/otis2profile.asp?mdocNumber=588628

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Evil Creamsicle wrote:

Had your suspect been inside your place before the robbery?

What made him a suspect to you?

Michigander

imported post

HankT wrote:

I was there after the arrest, so I know the ins and outs of what happened.

Despite the fact the police did everything right, and despite the fact this trash sack was on parole already, I think it's best to leave the discussion of evidence and probable cause off the forums until after he's been convicted again.

There is no reason at all to in any way risk the evidence gathered by police by running our mouths about who knew what why, so some idiot defense attorney might be able to try to say "if that was all they knew, then this is fruit of the poisonous tree!"

In this case, it seems very unlikely that it could happen, but still, things like this I think are better kept more quiet until after convictions.

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

THway

imported post

dougwg wrote:
THway wrote:
For some reason, this person sticks out in my mind...... But in America you are innocent until proven guilty by a jury of your peers. BUT that only works if your not already on parole. Then your just screwed because you just go back to prison for a while....

bad link
The link should not be bad... MDOC and the OTIS sections are down on the weekends for updates... please check it on monday.... if it is still bad.... go to the otis search menu and look for: MDOC:588628

Jblack44

imported post

Glad to hear things worked out as far as recovering your stuff, and the possible apprehension of the theif

Evil, I think you need to find a new abode! I remember you saying at the picnic that the cops are there quite often. And now it was for a break in at your place

G

imported post

THway wrote:
dougwg wrote:
THway wrote:

bad link
The link should not be bad... MDOC and the OTIS sections are down on the weekends for updates... please check it on monday.... if it is still bad.... go to the otis search menu and look for: MDOC:588628
Had to clickon a couple of times. It worked.

Real pillar of the community. Undoubtedly "accidentally" killed someone while drunk on his way home from choir practice. That's probably why he got out of prison so soon.

It's not his fault for breaking in.

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

Jblack44 wrote:
Evil, I think you need to find a new abode! I remember you saying at the picnic that the cops are there quite often. And now it was for a break in at your place

I did just that... thats why I didn't come back for a few days. I was busy moving back in with my folks... gonna stay here a few weeks and get re-situated.

Suppose I should change where I live in my profile now.

One other thing I was going to mention is that during the ordeal while the cops were busy I ended up tiptoeing through my trashed apartment to find my MOC panphlets and gave one to my neighbor... :D

Evil Creamsicle

imported post

HankT wrote:
Evil Creamsicle wrote:

I'm tempted to tell you something dumb like 'I suspected him because he's Jewish' or something... but really I'll just leave it here.

I had 'reasonable articulable suspicion', so to speak, and thats all that warrants being said at this time.

G

imported post

Three creatons from Detroit kicked in the back door of my son's and looted it. They did leave behind the shotgun they had to move to get to stuff in the closet. I don't know if it was because of the +2 that would get attached or not. But for whatever reason they left it. They did get caught making their getaway thanks to an observant neighbor.

G

imported post

Actually, my son's occured a couple months ago. However, in his Redford neighboorhood there has been quite a few. Three of his close-by neighbors got hit. Usually on rainy days while everyone is at work. The rain keeps neighbors indoors with windows closed. It also helps to cut down noise.

One of the creations' mother was in court during the arraignment and expressed disgust that the judge held her son on $250,000 cash bond due to danger to the public. Her poor boy didn't deserve that in her opinion.

He was quite lucky, considering that the day before my son was home all day and his car was not there either.

Redford police don't believe that these three were the only ones doing all the home invasions either.

Jblack44

imported post

Lived in Redford for a short time when my wife and I first got married. I came home to a guy climbing out of my bathroom window.

We moved within a month....

THway

imported post

Evil Creamsicle reporting from THway's computer:

Update:

Went to court today for the preliminary examination on the two suspects.

Both of them waived their right to preliminary examinations. The one guy plead not guilty though so... he's saying that he isn't guilty, but that he knows there is enough evidence to suggest he is... what a tool.

Anyway, the funny part is, that guy tried to get his uncle to let him live at his house with a tether. But, his uncle hadn't had his phone line installed, and when the detective brought up the fact that the tether is $900, the judge asked, and I quote "Do you have that kind of scratch?". The answer was no, so then the judge criticized saying "then this action won't get us anywhere. Bond stands".

Back to jail. Wahoo!

Neither client can afford the $2500 bond