• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who is going to the Falls Church City Council Meeting Monday 10/26 @7:30PM?

les_aker

imported post

richarcm wrote:
Yeah not much was accomplished in the short term. But we made our presence known, our depth of knowledge on the subject understood and we made them aware that we were paying attention to what they were doing and we are able to quickly organize to make their political careers difficult if need be.
It wasn't a total loss. Besides sitting next to richarcm during the Abby Spangler and Jim Solo drama club presentations, I got to meet TW and VaPatroit, among others. My schedule keeps me from attending as many of these events as I'd like to attend, so it was nice to meet you all.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
imported post

HankT wrote:
Doesn't look there was much reason to be "disturbed," skidmark.

Whew. It wasa close one.

Hank -

Do you only click your seatbelt when you are positive you are going to be in a crash? We know you don't carry a gun, because you are too afraid you might have to use it. :p

Past behavior is the best indicator of future behavior. We know their past behavior.

"Better to be safe than sorry" seemed like a good idea, and apparently it did not let anyone down last night.

"Why you got to be with the negative waves all the time? You got to start with the positive thoughts, man." ('Oddbal' to 'Moriarity'; Kelly's Heroes)

Also me to HankT.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

stay safe.

skidmark

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Got to meet the elusive Citizen at last, putting to rest the rumor that he was never seen in public without his handler. :)

Good to see so many friends.

Yata hey

Xeni

imported post

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but I did some poking around and came across the following:

http://www.fallschurchva.gov/Content/Government/CityCouncil.aspxshows that members of the Council are also members of the Virginia Municipal League (www.vml.org). If you look at there legislative agenda for 2010 (what they plan to fight for/against at the General Assembly) the top item under General Laws is this:

[align=left]Dangerous Weapons in Government Buildings [/align]
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]
The Virginia Municipal League supports legislation to allow local governments to prohibit or restrict the carrying of dangerous weapons in city and town halls, county administration buildings, public libraries, public community and recreation centers and public convention/conference centers.

This may be old news but I thought that it might be beneficial to understand that the Council itself was probably very anti- so it makes sense that the mayor would follow along with that train of thought.

Research and enjoy,
[/font]
[/font]

les_aker

imported post

Xeni wrote:
[font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"][font="Times New Roman,Times New Roman"]The Virginia Municipal League supports legislation to allow local governments to prohibit or restrict the carrying of dangerous weapons in city and town halls, county administration buildings, public libraries, public community and recreation centers and public convention/conference centers.
[/font]
[/font]

In his statement after the speakers were done, the vice-mayor made a comment about this, including their attempts to influence the GA. He appeared to take on the typical politican's mode of response: you aren't important enough to make me change my mind.

My immediate thought at that point is that he obviously doesn't know us very well.

richarcm

imported post

les_aker wrote:
richarcm wrote:
Yeah not much was accomplished in the short term. But we made our presence known, our depth of knowledge on the subject understood and we made them aware that we were paying attention to what they were doing and we are able to quickly organize to make their political careers difficult if need be.
It wasn't a total loss. Besides sitting next to richarcm during the Abby Spangler and Jim Solo drama club presentations, I got to meet TW and VaPatroit, among others. My schedule keeps me from attending as many of these events as I'd like to attend, so it was nice to meet you all.
It was good to put a few more names with a few more faces. :)

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't know if I can do this again. The stinch from the lousy anti pukes was to much for me to bear. Sitting and behaving is not my thing. I would much rather be an rable rouser.

On a lighter note I did enjoy meeting richarcm, lesaker, citizen, Va patriout and get some new schtick from Fast Eddy L.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

les_aker wrote:
SNIP In his statement after the speakers were done, the vice-mayor made a comment...

Old Mr. Lippy was also quick to criticize us for applauding Dave Vann's comments--retired cop who had seen defenseless dead and battered women. As part of his criticism, Lippy also wanted us to respect "their rules" or customs against applause.

Nevermind that it was Councilman Sze who initiated the applause for the Nicaraguans.

And that it was a pro-gunner who had the respect to stand for the foreign dignitaries. None of the council, nor anti-gunners stood.

VA Lawyer

imported post

Is the video of the meeting online anywhere other than the official local government site? For some reason I cannot get the video to play on my computer (mac).

VApatriot

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
I don't know if I can do this again. The stinch from the lousy anti pukes was to much for me to bear. Sitting and behaving is not my thing. I would much rather be an rable rouser.

On a lighter note I did enjoy meeting richarcm, lesaker, citizen, Va patriout and get some new schtick from Fast Eddy L.

I really wanted to get up and say something after the last anti spoke about Cho getting his guns through the "gun show loophole". At least Naked was able to rebut that for us.

Did anyone else notice that after the vice-mayor asked if anyone else wanted to speak, he suddenly decidedthey needed to move on with the meetingwhen onlypeople with orange stickers raised their hands to speak.

nova

imported post

VApatriot wrote:
T Dubya wrote:

I really wanted to get up and say something after the last anti spoke about Cho getting his guns through the "gun show loophole". At least Naked was able to rebut that for us.

Did anyone else notice that after the vice-mayor asked if anyone else wanted to speak, he suddenly decidedthey needed to move on with the meetingwhen onlypeople with orange stickers raised their hands to speak.
Nothing urks me more than when people try to justify banning private sales using VT as an example. In my opinion, VT simply showed that criminals don't give a damn about gun bans, and no matter how 'tough' you make it to purchase a gun, criminals will always manage to get them.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Would be very interesting to know how many (which) council members have CHP for their own personal defense. Very interesting indeed.

In future such meetings, someone could ask council for a show of hands as to who had them - should be relatively easy info to get just to keep them honest.

Yata hey

bohdi

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Would be very interesting to know how many (which) council members have CHP for their own personal defense. Very interesting indeed.

In future such meetings, someone could ask council for a show of hands as to who had them - should be relatively easy info to get just to keep them honest.

Yata hey
Maybe we could get the Pilot or Richmond times to find out? :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bohdi wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
The information is available from the individual clerks of court.

Yata hey

buster81

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
bohdi wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey

Yata hey
It should be just an FOIA request...correct?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

buster81 wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:
bohdi wrote:
Grapeshot wrote:

It should be just an FOIA request...correct?
Or walk in and see it "hands on" as it is public record.

Yata hey

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Grapeshot wrote:

Yata hey
Go to this web site.

http://wasdmz2.courts.state.va.us/CJISWeb/circuit.html

Select the county you want, make sure you click on civil and then enter the name of the person. Falls Church CHP's are issued by Arlington.. I did not find any of those on the council.