Thread: carry in ACU's

Post imported post

Hey, I am pretty sure it wouldnt be allowed, but I thought I would ask some of the prior service guys what the regs are as I couldn't find them in AR 670-1.

Can a soldier open carry a pistol while in uniform, that is ACU's, if he is not on base and doing things around town(not on military installation).

I would assume this would be a big no no, but I thought I would check to be certain. I forgot to ask my OIC, and I am pretty sure it would not be wise to do so, but if it were legal I would do it.

hooah!

Davis

Post imported post

Army regulations work in an opposite manner than regular laws. Laws tell you what you may not do, while Army regs tell you what you can do.

In the case of carrying a firearm, concealed or otherwise, AR 190-11 and AR 190-13 outline the restrictions.

The regulations don't necessarily prescribe the manner in which you may carry in uniform off duty, but your commander can draft a memo authorizing you to carry a personally owned weapon while in uniform, and even on installation property.

I concealed mine after drill without a memo, but I never carried a personal weapon openly in uniform.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

well I am not in the military, but im starting to get into wearing ACUs when I go looking for coyotes (well I did last time, and they match the terrain just perfectly on west mountain).but before anyone says "impersonation!" i dont wear any patches (that would be so freakin lame to wear patches if you werent military, infact, id probably be tempted to kick someone in the nuts if they did)

and before i got to west mountain, i took the coat off so i wouldnt look like military in town.

Im wanting to get some regular hunting camo, orbetter yet,a ghillie suit, but its hard to find good hunting camo for cheap.

Post imported post

You aint gonna like them ACUs after a while. Trust me.

Post imported post

Ain't ain't a word, and you ain't spose to say it. :P The BDU's were much nicer than this ACU garbage. After April I'm never wearing them again.
    "An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life." Robert A. Heinlein

Post imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
    Ain't ain't a word, and you ain't spose to say it. :P
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ain%27t

Spose ain't a word and you ain't spose to say it. :P

I definitely prefer the BDUs.

Post imported post

BDU's Rock I still have a pair from when I was in the Army.
    Zach
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"

Post imported post

Jungle Fatigues rock, BDU's were usable, and ACU's suck! Notice a pattern?

I would recommend getting something in Multicam. Now, Jungle Fatigues in Multicam? That would rock my world!

Post imported post

Can you get new jungle fatigues now anyway?

And honestly, the ACUs pattern is a lot better than what the Navy adopted.

ACUs but black and blue. Really? Seems like you would NOT want sailors to blend in with the water.

But hey what do I know about that?

Post imported post

Alot of my friends wear the old jungle or tiger camo for woodland hunting style clothing, blends in really well unless its winter time

Post imported post

Jungle fatigues?? And I think acus aren't that bad. I always heard the bdus were less comfortable. And btw multicam is the effin ****.

Post imported post

do you ever go hunting in the multi/universal?

Post imported post

How long you had your ACUs? 10 weeks?

I hate the velcro, I hate the camo pattern, and I hate not being able to roll up my sleeves on a hot day.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    I hate the velcro, I hate the camo pattern, and I hate not being able to roll up my sleeves on a hot day.
    Do you think you could complain anymore in one day?
    If you hate it so much then why did you join? :?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

oh how i wish i was physically fit, and had a government i could trust... If i were in good shape, and old enough to join when pres bush was in office, i would have done anything to serve in the US army. im just too afraid now. also, i know i cant run 2 miles... especially in 15 mins! the only way i could run that far, is if there was a VERY large mammal chasing me.

Post imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
    oh how i wish i was physically fit, and had a government i could trust... If i were in good shape, and old enough to join when pres bush was in office, i would have done anything to serve in the US army. im just too afraid now. also, i know i cant run 2 miles... especially in 15 mins! the only way i could run that far, is if there was a VERY large mammal chasing me.
    I will come chase ya...i bet we could get you to do it in under 15 mins...you know a 30 mm and hellfires plus a few rockets would make anyone run fast...

Post imported post

I have been wearing my acus for over a year now, granted they hook and loop isn't the greatest and the fact I have blown out three if the knees in the pants, I still think it is a fairly comfrtable uniform. The digi cam isn't the greatest espeially compared to multicam but it's definitely not the worst.

As for rolling the sleeves up I have seen a few soldiers with rolled sleeves this last summer, I know it goes against ar 670-1 but I wonder if it was approved by higher command.

B1ack5mith how old are you? And why would you let our current politcal leaders disuade you from joining? Also a 2 mile run isn't that bad a couple moths of consistent training and I am sure you could probably pass.

Post imported post

packingmama wrote:
    thx997303 wrote:
    Come on now packingmama, I sure didn't join to wear a nifty uniform.

Like with all things, there are things I like, and things I dislike about the Army.

The uniform was poorly thought out and implemented.

But this is the current trend in all of the military branches with the exception of the Marine Corps.

And I don't see how this was all that much complaining, I have much more I could complain about, but I don't.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

thx997303 wrote:
    packingmama wrote:
    thx997303 wrote:
    Come on now packingmama, I sure didn't join to wear a nifty uniform.
    But you knew that you would have to wear it all the time! :quirky
    "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
    Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

But I didn't know it sucked when I joined.

Post imported post

WOW tucker, nice vehicle you got there! im looking for a treadmill on KSL, soI can get into good running shape over the winter. In about a month i can get to where i can do the pushups and situps pretty easily. I was up to about 80 pushups straight, then I got sick... :/

My bro is going to go for the navy, but he failed a test when he went into the recruiter. the only thing he fails at is math, so I think hes going to end up in the army, since their math requirements are a little lower than navy. plus, those navyACUs are lame hahhaha

Post imported post

Acu= army combat uniform. So are navy camies called ncu's? Also the comment about not wanting sailors to blend in with the sea was priceless lol.

Post imported post

I carry concealed in uniform except when we are doing detainee ops. training so when we are practicing searches someone doesn't grab my gun.

Post imported post

Davis0911 wrote:
    Acu= army combat uniform. So are navy camies called ncu's? Also the comment about not wanting sailors to blend in with the sea was priceless lol.
    and the proper pronunciation is I-see-yous.