• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carry in ACU's

Davis0911

imported post

Hey, I am pretty sure it wouldnt be allowed, but I thought I would ask some of the prior service guys what the regs are as I couldn't find them in AR 670-1.

Can a soldier open carry a pistol while in uniform, that is ACU's, if he is not on base and doing things around town(not on military installation).

I would assume this would be a big no no, but I thought I would check to be certain. I forgot to ask my OIC, and I am pretty sure it would not be wise to do so, but if it were legal I would do it.

hooah!

Davis

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Army regulations work in an opposite manner than regular laws. Laws tell you what you may not do, while Army regs tell you what you can do.

In the case of carrying a firearm, concealed or otherwise, AR 190-11 and AR 190-13 outline the restrictions.

The regulations don't necessarily prescribe the manner in which you may carry in uniform off duty, but your commander can draft a memo authorizing you to carry a personally owned weapon while in uniform, and even on installation property.

I concealed mine after drill without a memo, but I never carried a personal weapon openly in uniform.

b1ack5mith

imported post

well I am not in the military, but im starting to get into wearing ACUs when I go looking for coyotes (well I did last time, and they match the terrain just perfectly on west mountain).but before anyone says "impersonation!" i dont wear any patches (that would be so freakin lame to wear patches if you werent military, infact, id probably be tempted to kick someone in the nuts if they did)

and before i got to west mountain, i took the coat off so i wouldnt look like military in town.

Im wanting to get some regular hunting camo, orbetter yet,a ghillie suit, but its hard to find good hunting camo for cheap.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

Ain't ain't a word, and you ain't spose to say it. :p The BDU's were much nicer than this ACU garbage. After April I'm never wearing them again. :D

Francis Marion

imported post

Jungle Fatigues rock, BDU's were usable, and ACU's suck! Notice a pattern?

I would recommend getting something in Multicam. Now, Jungle Fatigues in Multicam? That would rock my world!

thx997303

imported post

Can you get new jungle fatigues now anyway?

And honestly, the ACUs pattern is a lot better than what the Navy adopted.

ACUs but black and blue. Really? Seems like you would NOT want sailors to blend in with the water.

But hey what do I know about that? :)

b1ack5mith

imported post

Alot of my friends wear the old jungle or tiger camo for woodland hunting style clothing, blends in really well unless its winter time

Davis0911

imported post

Jungle fatigues?? And I think acus aren't that bad. I always heard the bdus were less comfortable. And btw multicam is the effin shit.

thx997303

imported post

How long you had your ACUs? 10 weeks? :D

I hate the velcro, I hate the camo pattern, and I hate not being able to roll up my sleeves on a hot day.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
I hate the velcro, I hate the camo pattern, and I hate not being able to roll up my sleeves on a hot day.
Do you think you could complain anymore in one day? :uhoh:
If you hate it so much then why did you join? :?

b1ack5mith

imported post

oh how i wish i was physically fit, and had a government i could trust... If i were in good shape, and old enough to join when pres bush was in office, i would have done anything to serve in the US army. im just too afraid now. also, i know i cant run 2 miles... especially in 15 mins! the only way i could run that far, is if there was a VERY large mammal chasing me.

rocknsnow

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:
oh how i wish i was physically fit, and had a government i could trust... If i were in good shape, and old enough to join when pres bush was in office, i would have done anything to serve in the US army. im just too afraid now. also, i know i cant run 2 miles... especially in 15 mins! the only way i could run that far, is if there was a VERY large mammal chasing me.
I will come chase ya...i bet we could get you to do it in under 15 mins...you know a 30 mm and hellfires plus a few rockets would make anyone run fast...

Davis0911

imported post

I have been wearing my acus for over a year now, granted they hook and loop isn't the greatest and the fact I have blown out three if the knees in the pants, I still think it is a fairly comfrtable uniform. The digi cam isn't the greatest espeially compared to multicam but it's definitely not the worst.

As for rolling the sleeves up I have seen a few soldiers with rolled sleeves this last summer, I know it goes against ar 670-1 but I wonder if it was approved by higher command.

B1ack5mith how old are you? And why would you let our current politcal leaders disuade you from joining? Also a 2 mile run isn't that bad a couple moths of consistent training and I am sure you could probably pass.

thx997303

imported post

packingmama wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
Come on now packingmama, I sure didn't join to wear a nifty uniform.

Like with all things, there are things I like, and things I dislike about the Army.

The uniform was poorly thought out and implemented.

But this is the current trend in all of the military branches with the exception of the Marine Corps.

And I don't see how this was all that much complaining, I have much more I could complain about, but I don't.

packingmama

Campaign Veteran
imported post

thx997303 wrote:
packingmama wrote:
thx997303 wrote:
Come on now packingmama, I sure didn't join to wear a nifty uniform.
But you knew that you would have to wear it all the time! :quirky