• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Board of Firearms Appeal Hearing and Deliberations 10.22.09

Edward Peruta

imported post

An interesting case where 17 year old statements from a dismissed case were presented to the Board. Mr. Johnson was innocent and the charges were dismissed in 1992.

Questions about the submission at the last minute and the failure to provide copies to the appellent in a timely manner are debated in this hearing.

Waterbury may be in some trouble with using the information that was presented.

Kevin Johnson of Waterbury was successful in his appeal to obtain a Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers.

Listen to these audio files and you will see how low a local police department will go to win a case.

The Hearing:

http://www.ourrockyhill.com/Videos/Johnson.10.22.09/Kevin.Johnson.hearing.10.22.09.wmv

The Deliberations and Vote:

http://www.ourrockyhill.com/Videos/Johnson.10.22.09/Kevin.Johnson.deliberations.10.22.09.wmv

Rich B

imported post

Interesting audio, although I must say I am a bit confused since it definitely did not sound like the board allowed him to be issued a permit.

Did I miss something?

Rich B

imported post

Edward Peruta wrote:
THE VOTE WAS UNANIMOUS IN MR. JOHNSON'S FAVOR.

Ah, I see what happened there. For some reason I was confused and thought the first case they deliberated on was Mr. Johnson, but in fact it is the last case in the audio. Good luck to him.

I find the remarks by the board regarding Hamden and Waterbury's permit process interesting by the way.

Edward Peruta

imported post

There is much more to the audio from the Board's meeting of October 22, 2009, some very interesting comments were made regarding several topics.

The Board will post the audio soon on their website.

Amazingly many people don't take the time to listen.

To listen is to become educated on the issues and workings of the Board.

midnight61

imported post

I've been making it a point to download the audios and play them on my iPod during my week. At first it was amusing listening to the revocation arguments (some people really shouldn't have guns), but now I'm more interested in the Board process. I would like to attend a meeting in the near future.

Thanks for your hard work Ed.

ESCH

imported post

Of the recent decisions and audio I have heard from the board lately, It appears to me that the board comes off as being fair and impartial. I find this to be encouraging. Most times I hear problems with the process it is with the local authorities overstepping bounds, not working within limits or being biased.

One of two things have to happen, The process needs to be stripped from the local authorities or their needs to be oversight of the local authorities with teeth.

It always seems to me that once the local authority criteria is met or bypassed the process moves along quite smoothly.

Rich B

imported post

I agree. I had heard many horror stories about the DPS and the BOFPE, but it certainly sounds like through a lot of hard work that they are coming around and getting better. Now we just need to work on local police.