• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Waterbury PD DENIED my students' applications again!

KenBGlock19

imported post

I'll be brief.

Same student that "needed a letter" from her instructor (ME) got denied again for the following reason:

1) Her Verizon Wireless bill was not sufficient to provide proof of address.

Her Mother's was denied (also a student of mine) due to the following reasons:

1) WPD would not accept a mortgage statement as proof of address.
2) They would not accept her birth certificate because she was born on a US Military base in Japan and was ordered to obtain different proof of citizenship.

(DOESN'T "JUS SOLI" PLAY INTO EFFECT HERE WHEN BORN ON U.S. SOIL a.k.a. MILITARY BASES?)

They then informed my students that they were "becoming stricter about permits so that everything is right before they send it out to the State."

As you can imagine, she's pretty upset. Any thoughts, Ed?

Edward Peruta

imported post

Ken,

We have spoken on the phone, but for those that read this forum, here is the public response.

Have both individuals submit a letter of appeal to the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners ASAP.

Here is the wording to use in the appeal.

"I have attempted on one or more occasions to submit an application for a Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers to the Waterbury Police Department without success."

No more no less, keep it simple.

Copy and edit the sample letter found on this forum and we will speak more.

GAME ON!!

P.S. GO TO KenBGlock19 wrote:

I'll be brief.

Same student that "needed a letter" from her instructor (ME) got denied again for the following reason:

1) Her Verizon Wireless bill was not sufficient to provide proof of address.

Her Mother's was denied (also a student of mine) due to the following reasons:

1) WPD would not accept a mortgage statement as proof of address.
2) They would not accept her birth certificate because she was born on a US Military base in Japan and was ordered to obtain different proof of citizenship.

(DOESN'T "JUS SOLI" PLAY INTO EFFECT HERE WHEN BORN ON U.S. SOIL a.k.a. MILITARY BASES?)

They then informed my students that they were "becoming stricter about permits so that everything is right before they send it out to the State."

As you can imagine, she's pretty upset. Any thoughts, Ed?

Edward Peruta

imported post

For those that attend hearings conducted by the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners, there is a clear understanding that the Board is getting tired of frivolous denials.

I wouldn't be suprised to see some decsions which address this problem over the next several months

So remember, if you are dealing with members of a police department, document everything and make sure you get the names of those you talk to.

The board is impressed with facts such as dates, times and the names of those you had contact with.

THINGS ARE CHANGING

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

There should be an appleal process in statute - court of common pleas? Alternatively, common law should provide an appeal avenue - so appeal, don;t give in!

GoldCoaster

imported post

No what there should be is a single uniform permitting process wherein the local police are taken OUT of the process. If a person wishing to get a permit who has all the necessary forms filled out, their safety certificate, proof of identity, and a spare couple of hours they should be able to go to ANY State police troop or DPS HQ in Middletown and apply for and get their permits from there. They should have their photograph taken during the initial application and if the background check comes back clean the permit should be issued and mailed to them with no delays.

Allowing the local plod to get in the way of the process and denying law abiding citizens the opportunity to exercise A RIGHT is just disgusting.

I'm for taking it away from the local PD where ego and police chief opinion do more to hinder this process than any background check would take.

Edward Peruta

imported post

Both of the individuals have filed appeals with the Board of Firearms Permit Examers.

Now we need to support the appellants in their appeals.

KenBGlock19

imported post

She's going to attempt to drop the application one more time tomorrow, she said.

I advised what you had told me and she's going to do everything that we talked about. I'm looking forward to the outcome.

Edward Peruta

imported post

The only reason that Waterbury has been able to get away with what they do is NOBODY has stood up to them and challenged their policies.

I will find it very rewarding if a mother and daughter bring down their house of cards.

I met with a LT. on the Waterbury Police Department Monday morning and was told I'd receive a call back on this topic and am still waiting.

Whatever happens, please advise the individuals to continue with their appeals to the Board of Firearms Permit Examiners.

The issues need to be addressed and this is a very unique case with very unique circumstances.

I can only imagine what types of discussions are taking place within the Department.

dwayner79

imported post

Just sharing some insider information on the Waterbury PD. The record department is terrible. There is a woman in there who weighs in about 450 lbs. I'm a big dude myself so I am not saying that to be rude, just that it is obvious who I am talking about. She is terrible. Rudest person I have ever met. Completely unhelpful, and from what I can tell that place is completely unorganized.

My delay was because I did my print before I submitted my application. As a result, the state returned the prints, and they got lost in never-never land.

I am convinced that the main root of the problem has to do with the 2 or 3 people in the record department. Perhaps they are overworked. Perhaps they are just lazy, but that department is not a well oiled machine. Waterbury Police Chief gets crap over this enough, and perhaps he will look into the records department's inefficiencies.

Some of the issues you all are describing are not related, but I bet a majority of their problems are related to this department.

GoldCoaster

imported post

Ken, I have the solution:

Please have your students take the following required items when they go to apply:

Completed DPS799c
Completed and signed Safety course certificate
Pictures
Assorted money orders
Photo ID
Fingerprint cards
A big bucket of KFC chicken
A big apple pie or half a chocolate cake
A 2 liter bottle of Diet coke (must be diet).

Rich B

imported post

GoldCoaster wrote:
Ken, I have the solution:

Please have your students take the following required items when they go to apply:

Completed DPS799c
Completed and signed Safety course certificate
Pictures
Assorted money orders
Photo ID
Fingerprint cards
A big bucket of KFC chicken
A big apple pie or half a chocolate cake
A 2 liter bottle of Diet coke (must be diet).

They can bring those right to my house.