• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-resident OC--has this been cleared up?

Dreamer

imported post

I am a NC resident, and have a current NC concealed Handgun Permit (CHP). I know that NC and WV have reciprocity for CC, but I have been trying to figure out the OC situation in WV. I have family and friends in WV that I visit several times a year, and just wanted to be sure, because there seems to be a lot of conflicting info as far as whether or not OC is legal for non-residents...

Mainly I travel to Martinsburg (Berkeley County) in the Eastern Panhandle and Wheeling (Ohio County) in the Northern Panhandle.

Can I OC, since I'm a non-resident? Has this weird discrepancy between the WV AG's understanding of the statutes and the WVSP "interpretation" been resolved?

What gives?

Shallnotbeinfringed

imported post

You can follow along on this WVCDL forum thread, but the latest update was basically the AGs office saying they put the info in their pamphlet because the state police interpreted the law to mean "no OC by non-residents" and the WVSP saying basically "Huh? What? I dunno. We'll look into it."

Thats pretty much where it stands right now.

Keep checking back on the WVCDL thread for further updates.

Dreamer

imported post

So, I see you ive in Martinsburg. I lived there from 2000-2005. I have some stuff there in a storage unit, and will be travelling there several times in the next few months to get it and move it down to NC.

So can I OC in Martinsburg, or should I just CC with my permit? What is your experience with OC in Berkeley Co?...

Shallnotbeinfringed

imported post

I have OC'd on occasion, but its not my persoal prefrence for carry. I'm more of a "casual" carry person. I carry OWB but my shirt (summertime) typically covers well, and in the winter time my jacket covers.

I don't get all paranoid wondering if I print, or if my shirt rides up or if I forget to cover up when I get out of the car, but typically I conceal.

On the few occasions I have purposely open carried I haven't had any reaction, either positive or negative.