Thread: Transporting a long gun

New Baltimore, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I'm going to be doing some traveling this weekend within Michigan with my brother and my mother and my question is this.

I know its OK to transport a long gun with it unloaded, in the trunk of your vehicle and the ammo in a separate location, But how about the other way around?

Unloaded, gun In the cab and ammo in the trunk?

Also since I will be traveling with 3 people total including myself, If the gun is in the cab of my car and ammo in the trunk, the case will be right on the feet of one of the passengers, would this present a problem with the firearm itself accessible to one of the occupants of the car?

Thanks in advance for any information!

, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
    Sec. 227d.
    (1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
    (a) Taken down.
    (b) Enclosed in a case.
    (c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
    (d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
    (2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

Check out and bookmark the following link. The MCL keyword search is very handy.
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Police State, USA

Post imported post

what I would do, if its easy [like a shotgun or something]
    is just remove the barrel. Then it doesn't matter.