• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Transporting a long gun

Souk

imported post

I'm going to be doing some traveling this weekend within Michigan with my brother and my mother and my question is this.

I know its OK to transport a long gun with it unloaded, in the trunk of your vehicle and the ammo in a separate location, But how about the other way around?

Unloaded, gun In the cab and ammo in the trunk?

Also since I will be traveling with 3 people total including myself, If the gun is in the cab of my car and ammo in the trunk, the case will be right on the feet of one of the passengers, would this present a problem with the firearm itself accessible to one of the occupants of the car?

Thanks in advance for any information!

~Souk

Taurus850CIA

imported post

750.227d Transporting or possessing firearm in or upon motor vehicle or self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel; conditions; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.
Sec. 227d.
(1) Except as otherwise permitted by law, a person shall not transport or possess in or upon a motor vehicle or any self-propelled vehicle designed for land travel a firearm, other than a pistol, unless the firearm is unloaded and is 1 or more of the following:
(a) Taken down.
(b) Enclosed in a case.
(c) Carried in the trunk of the vehicle.
(d) Inaccessible from the interior of the vehicle.
(2) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days, or a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.

Check out and bookmark the following link. The MCL keyword search is very handy.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(dgvj5m55te5vhuqwxtddsx45))/mileg.aspx?page=home