• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No weapons signs

rottman43055

imported post

I know this is an open carry forum, but I know also that a lot of us have concealed carry licenses and carry concealed sometimes.

When I carry concealed I pay zero attention to no weapon signs. Sometimes I carry concealed for times when I know I'll need to be places that are posted.

My right to self defense trumps all elsein my opinion.

I'm not encouraging anyone to do the same but I was wondering the thoughts of others.

Jor Reeser

imported post

If I'm carrying concealed I ignore them. If they realize I am armed and ask me to leave I will do so immediately and with no argument. It is private property, after all. However, I am also of a mind that those who would disarm me take responsibility for anything that happens while I am disarmed. If they don't wish to do that then perhaps they should allow me to remain armed. I am no threat to anyone who is not a threat to me.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

rottman43055 wrote:

When I carry concealed I pay zero attention to no weapon signs. Sometimes I carry concealed for times when I know I'll need to be places that are posted.

My right to self defense trumps all elsein my opinion.

Are you talking about No Weapons signs on private properties (e.g. shopping malls) or No Weapons signs at prohibited places in accordance with CC rules of your state (e.g., courts, churches, etc.)?

Or both?

Jor Reeser

imported post

I had assumed what was meant was private property. That is what I meant.

HankT wrote:
rottman43055 wrote:

Are you talking about No Weapons signs on private properties (e.g. shopping malls) or No Weapons signs at prohibited places in accordance with CC rules of your state (e.g., courts, churches, etc.)?

Or both?

zack991

imported post

I just hand them a card that states no Gun no money and spend my money else where. Why give a business any money if they are not allowing you to protect yourself is beyond me. Your making no statement when you still shop there. Let them know that you and others will spend else where and with today's tough economy they will either change their minds or go under.

22web.png

FiremanJoe

imported post

Sign? What Sign?,
Sorry I didn't notice that little 3inch high sign down there on the far right window 12 feet from your front door....... LOL

mid561

imported post

Weather or not you oc or cc are you not to respect the wishes of the establishment that has such a sign posted? If you dont respect the signage can they (the business owners) have you arrested?

justherenow

imported post

mid561 wrote:
Weather or not you oc or cc are you not to respect the wishes of the establishment that has such a sign posted? If you dont respect the signage can they (the business owners) have you arrested?
In Ohio, that sign has the weight of law, if you carry and are caught, you can be charged with criminal trespass. The owner does not need to ask you to leave because you have already been warned by that sign.

Personally, being a single parent, I choose not to go to places that require me to disarm, unless it is a place that is covered by law or a doctor or hospital that I do not have a choice about. Sure, I want to be able to protect myself and my child, but I cannot do that if some over the top business owner somehow notices I am carrying and I am arrested, and even if not put in jail, my child seeing that happen to me would not play very well, plus the $$$ impact.

I obey the law the best I can. I wont say I never went into a CPZ with a firearm, but I did not notice the sign until I was leaving or on another visit (UDF comes to mind)

MyWifeSaidYes

imported post

My office receives these "state required signage" order forms from third-party companies every so often. They will sell you copies of all the various labor law/minimum wage law/etc. posters that employers are supposed to display for their employees.

I looked through the list of posters out of curiousity and got a little bent out of shape. What ticked me off is that, in the list of required signage, this company listed the "No guns" poster!

You and I know that this is NOT a required sign, but does the average human resources person know that?

This affects both OC and CC.

How do you convince that company that the sign isn't actually required?

Brian D.

imported post

MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
My office receives these "state required signage" order forms from third-party companies every so often. They will sell you copies of all the various labor law/minimum wage law/etc. posters that employers are supposed to display for their employees.

I looked through the list of posters out of curiousity and got a little bent out of shape. What ticked me off is that, in the list of required signage, this company listed the "No guns" poster!

You and I know that this is NOT a required sign, but does the average human resources person know that?

Show the company's higher ups (or better yet their legal staff) the actual law, hope they can comprehend it properly, and actually care enough to make things right.

Armed

imported post

Brian D. wrote:
MyWifeSaidYes wrote:
My office receives these "state required signage" order forms from third-party companies every so often.  They will sell you copies of all the various labor law/minimum wage law/etc. posters that employers are supposed to display for their employees.

I looked through the list of posters out of curiousity and got a little bent out of shape.  What ticked me off is that, in the list of required signage, this company listed the "No guns" poster!

I was just home over Christmas, and took my elderly father to his dialysis appointment. They *had* one of those "required" signs pinned to the wall of their foyer. I took it with me on the way out.

M

McX

imported post

we should all play the dumb bunny card on these establishments, and say; oh, i thought the no guns sign meant you guys had no guns!

MyWifeSaidYes

imported post

Hmm, I like both options, but what law am I breaking if I take their sign? :?

And my wife tells me I'm good at playing dumb. It only took 1 load of white laundry coming out pink to get me banned from the laundry room. :D

Fehrmann69

imported post

How about at the gun shows? I find it quite hippocritical, that the very people who are pro second ammendment, and organize the gun shows, most often do not allow open carry at the shows. What's up with that? Are they now all of a sudden afraid of the strangers with guns. How can you feel that the public should not be afraid of the MWAG, when you act the same way, in the gun show environment. Maybe it would be a good time to rethink your positions.

MyWifeSaidYes

imported post

In Franklin county (Columbus) the shows allow you toopen carry all you want, but your guns must be unloaded. They check them at the door and use plastic tie wraps to verify this.Concealed carry weapons must be checked and unloaded as well.

This is interesting because letting them check your CC weapon is purely on the honor system.Yet anotherstupid process only disarming the honest people.

Brian D.

imported post

About the gun show issue: Several promoters have told me that their insurancecarrier stipulates 'no posssesion of loaded firearms by anyone except law enforcement'. Some years back one promoter even showed me that portion of his policy.

My experience has been that most all the shows, everyplace I've been around the U.S. check the status of each firearm carried into the event. Some go further and zip-tie the action.

I don't like this presumptive "lowest common denominator of idiot patron" mindset on the part of the shows but were it MY event I'd likely follow the same practice, if just to keep my insurance company happy.

thebishop_1999

imported post

Most everyone on this site is over 21. The answers I read are more like "IT IS ALL ABOUT ME " Or "TO THE HELL WITH OTHER PEOPLE"
First I'm 61 and have carried a weapon for years. I have a CWP, and believe in open carry. It is our right to carry open or CW carry. This is up to you if you want to. Now when we walk into a store. They (the person that owns that store) has the right to ask you to leave if you have an open weapon. It is his store. Leave. Walk out tell them you will not shop. As for CW. If they have a sign that tells you they do not want you in the store. GOOD BYE.
Please remember they have rights, we have rights. If I was in your house and started to smoke and you do not like smoking in your house I guess I would have to take it outside.
My rights might have to stop if they step on your rights.
Remember we all have some rights. But not to step on others rights.

Lthrnck

imported post

When a person starts a business that is "Open to the Public" that means just that, "Open to the Public". So unless I am doing something UNSAFE, UNHEALTHY, OR CRIMINAL...then my right to self defense trumps their right to "Private Property", why because it's no longer "Private" it's "Open to the Public".

There is no bigger Right then Self Defense. That right Trumps all others period.