Thread: 2010 Is Coming Quick

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The 2010 election cycle is coming up quick. I know we are all looking forward to the fight for open carry. I like Debra Medina's stances on a lot of things, especially open carry. What other issues are you guys interested in at the state level, other than OC?

Post imported post

kingmonkey wrote:
    The 2010 election cycle is coming up quick. I know we are all looking forward to the fight for open carry. I like Debra Medina's stances on a lot of things, especially open carry. What other issues are you guys interested in at the state level, other than OC?
    How about the main one? State Sovereignty.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Accomplished Advocate

Post imported post

in regards to Open Carry, it's great that Debra is in support of it, but the initiative goes nowhere unless we can get our state representatives on board. From everything that I'd seen and heard from last session, nobody wants to touch it, nobody wants to introduce it, nobody wants to support it, and nobody wants to see it happen.

Post imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
    in regards to Open Carry, it's great that Debra is in support of it, but the initiative goes nowhere unless we can get our state representatives on board. From everything that I'd seen and heard from last session, nobody wants to touch it, nobody wants to introduce it, nobody wants to support it, and nobody wants to see it happen.
    All that is true, however, the governor can cut deals and push an agenda if they know how to do it. Being passionate about an issue is the best motivation to get things you want as governor. Debra is very interested in three things; open carry, state sovereignty, and dumping property taxes. Not necessarily in that order.
    The thing about common sense is....it ain't too common.
    Will Rogers

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

The governor can do a lot to draw attention to an issue. While they can't do anything on their own they can use their position to start a conversation. And if the governor happens to be in the same party that controls the House and Senate they can really use their position to influence the party.

Post imported post

rodbender wrote:
    DKSuddeth wrote:
    All that is true, however, the governor can cut deals and push an agenda if they know how to do it. Being passionate about an issue is the best motivation to get things you want as governor. Debra is very interested in three things; open carry, state sovereignty, and dumping property taxes. Not necessarily in that order.
    Yeah, she's gaining more support too. My mom is a member of the Wise County Republican women and there has been a lot of email traffic about her. Maybe having a fresh face in office will make things happen a little faster too.

-Gruu

Opt-Out Members

Post imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
    I disagree. Rick Perry supports it too. What did that help?

It wasn't picked up or supported for a reason. It's a polarizing topic that could have had negative impacts, or distracted from other legislation that had a better chance in the last session.

It took 3 sessions (6 years) and a Governor change to get Concealed Carry passed in Texas. I doubt OC will happen that easy, but it needs a solid foundation of support. As it were, I don't think the support on the street was very "stable" or foundation like.

Next session maybe it'll grow some legs, but there a lot of work and gathering support to do. Work other than folks that want to protest and march when there's not even any real awareness yet. It's boxing a ghost. Contact your legislators and next election, remember who will represent you best.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

I think if there were a legislator in office with the balls enough to introduce the bill we could see a real debate. No, I don't think it would pass, but if one were actually introduced I would think it would kick off a real debate. If would be even better if we could get the TSRA behind it.

Post imported post

I think the main reason it didn't make it any further last session was thanks to a bit of sabotage! Most of you know what I'm referring to, so I would rather not get into that mudslinging again...

It did make it pretty far last session though and brought a LOT of attention and got a lot more people aware of the situation.

Rick Perry gives 'lip service' to the support of OC, however I don't forsee him doing anything to push for it!

If we can get Debra Medina on the ballot and at least a good showing, if not win, I think that will show the legislators that we really want this in Texas and they will have to look at her main 3 causes!

The best thing we can all do is be diligent in communicating with our legislators and making sure that we support the ones that we want in office and help to educate others to get the votes we need!