• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Legal to Own Required

ZackL

imported post

Okay, so I have yet to open carry... However, I have been perusing cologunmarket.com and I have found that most people say something to the extent of "proof of legal to buy/own/purchase" along with their requirements. How is this possible? Are they expecting me to request a list of all of my criminal, mental and personal indiscretions and submit each list to a private individual? That to me sounds a bit like invasion of privacy (maybe overreacting...). However, I just don't know how else to "prove" I'm legal to own or purchase a firearm.

Any help would be great.

mahkagari

imported post

May be an invasion of privacy and may be excessive to what is required by law. But if you don't like it, don't buy from them. Tell them that's why you won't buy from them. That's that wonderful freedom of trade we're all standing up for.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ZackL wrote:
Okay, so I have yet to open carry... However, I have been perusing cologunmarket.com and I have found that most people say something to the extent of "proof of legal to buy/own/purchase" along with their requirements. How is this possible? Are they expecting me to request a list of all of my criminal, mental and personal indiscretions and submit each list to a private individual? That to me sounds a bit like invasion of privacy (maybe overreacting...). However, I just don't know how else to "prove" I'm legal to own or purchase a firearm.

Any help would be great.

What do the ads say, exactly?

They're asking for "proof of legal" what?

Maybe "proof of legal age?"

Are you over 21?

CO-Joe

imported post

ZackL wrote:

Any help would be great.
Maybe they want you to go through a background check/transfer so they're sure it's not going into the hands of some criminal? You'd have to be more specific.

entartet17

imported post

I've bought guns from people through CO Gun Market and usually they just require a CO drivers license. That's it. Some people ask you to sign a bill of sale which says you affirm that you are eligible to own a gun (just to cover their ass). If they want more than that, don't buy from them.

ZackL

imported post

The statement "CO DL and legal to own required" is the one that really struck me as odd. I have no problems signing a bill of sale and actually expect nothing less from people to make sure that if it does end badly they're not liable. It just seems really odd to me that someone would require proof of your eligibility to own a firearm outside of a DL or state ID to verify you're 18+ and then signing a bill of sale for their own benefit. I don't know. I just don't understand what "legal to own required" would mean. Other than transferring the gun through an FFL I don't see what more someone could do.

mahkagari

imported post

Maybe it just means YOU must be legal to own and affirming via the bill of sale is sufficient. The only way to know is if you ask them.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

ZackL wrote:
The statement "CO DL and legal to own required" is the one that really struck me as odd. I have no problems signing a bill of sale and actually expect nothing less from people to make sure that if it does end badly they're not liable. It just seems really odd to me that someone would require proof of your eligibility to own a firearm outside of a DL or state ID to verify you're 18+ and then signing a bill of sale for their own benefit. I don't know. I just don't understand what "legal to own required" would mean. Other than transferring the gun through an FFL I don't see what more someone could do.

Is there any way you could PM or e-mail the guy who used that wording to find out what he means?

Sounds to me that he was just a little careless in his gun ad copy.

Obviously, you cannot prove that you are legal to own a gun in any feasible way. The seller probably understands that.

What's the guy selling, btw?

maynerd

imported post

i came across that one time and i asked what does it mean all it means is that you legal to own a gun and just sign the bill of sale and you on your way

ZackL

imported post

Ok, those explanations make more sense than what my mind was going towards (I tend to over-think things). I was just really thrown off with that wording and then I got to looking more closely at the ads and I realized that there is generally some sort of that going on, most people validate it with the bill of sale, but his wording, and my over-thinking, got me thinking about what it would take to prove to a private seller that you were legal outside of transferring through and FFL. And then I, of course over-thought things again, and began to wonder if it was even legal or morally ok to ask for that kind of information.

HankT, he's selling a compact .40 H&K with a trigger job and night sights.

Thanks.

zach

imported post

Ian wrote:
Seems like a pretty lame site. I'd stick with Gunbroker.
I believe that the site is associated with RMGO. I may be wrong (I'm sure I will be corrected if so).

Why would you steer away from a site that lets you purchase face to face and not have to deal with all the paperwork?

I've seen that a majority of the ads all state the same thing in the "Private Party Firearms" section of cologunmarket.

I believe its a CYA for the seller. Don't you have to possess a FFL in order to sell firearms over state lines?

maynerd

imported post

hey zackl i was looking at the same gun last night if you dont i will lol