• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Blackhawk Serpa Mag carriers

Dreamer

imported post

OK, I'll admit it. I LOVE my new Serpa CQC holster. And the fact that I was lucky enough to find one in the super-rare "coyote tan" color makes me even more happy with it.

I bought it specifically for OC, because of the retention system. And it works--it's very secure, yet very smooth and fast to draw.

But I've been looking for a matching mag carrier, and have had no luck. None of the dealers in my area even stock them in ANY color, let alone in the tan. And I was hesitant to order one online, because their website says the "double stack" mag carrier fits 9mm and .40 cal mags, and makes no mention of .45 acp double stacks. I've got a Para Ordnance S-14.45. Even though I emailed Blackhawk, and they told me that it "should fit", I'd rather KNOW that it did before plunking down the dough on a mail order deal.

Well, I stopped into Atlantic Guns in Rockville MD this afternoon on a whim, and lo and behold they had the Serpa double stack mag carriers (but only in black). Since this is MD, I didn't have my Para with me, but they did have a spare mag in their parts department, so I asked the salesman if I could test it out and see it it worked. And sure enough, it fits like a dream! And that belt clip on the Serpa Mag carrier should keep it in place and steady--no more snap buttons to worry about (see my other recent post about the nightmare situation I had with a Tagua mag carrier a few weeks ago...)

So I bought one. It's black, so I'll be replacing it as soon as I can (mail order), but for now, I've got a complete (if not completely color-coordinated) Serpa setup for OC. I just didn't want to order one without test-fitting it, and when I FINALLY found one on the shelf--even though it was in the wrong color--I just couldn't help but open my wallet.

What's particularly ironic is that I found it in what is perhaps the most anti-gun place I spend any time in--Montgomery County MD. (Talk about an anti-gun enclave of victim-hood idiocy.) I can't believe that Atlantic has stayed in business all these years considering th eenvironment around here. But I gotta hand it to them--they have a VERY well-stocked store, with a HUGE selection of everything from cowboy-action shooting firearms to those tacti-cool .22 cal GSGs, to just about any modern brand-name pistol, rifle, or shotgun you'd want, to reloading supplies and ammo of all sorts, and even a decent selection of custom parts. The staff was very knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful. Considering the fact that they are pretty much the "only game in town" as far as firearms retailers in this part of MD, they were cordial, professional, and great folk to do business with--no attitude or elitism at all, even though I was a complete stranger and an out-of stater as well. I was very pleasantly surprise at the level of service I got, even after they knew there was NO WAY I would be buying a firearm. From what I saw, business from the locals was BOOMING, though. I think in the hour I was in that store, I saw about 10 different people filling out paperwork for firearms purchases...

Anyway, I will be trying it out in Northern Virginia tomorrow, when I visit my friends in Fairfax. I will post a full report of my experience--OCing in NoVa, and any observations I have or comments I get on my rig from the indigenous population. We'll most likely be going to Anita's in Fairfax (the one on Lee Hwy) for dinner.

BTW, when I do finally order my "coyote tan" mag carrier, I'll be selling the black one. I don't need 2 of them, and I don't really need the black one--I want a "matched set", and I'll let this black one go for a very reasonable price. I'm keeping all the original packaging, and I'll be extra careful when wearing it so it should be in near-new condition. It should only be a few weeks before I get the tan one, so this black one will be low-mileage. I'll post it here first, and if I don't get any takers, I'll put it up on EBAY. Oh, yeah, the Blackhawk Part No is #410600PBK. And here is a link to their website for pics and info:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Double-Stack-Mag-Case-Matte-Finish,1368,82.htm

Wangmuf

imported post

I hope it works for you with your .45 mag better than it does with my .40 mag a month later. When I bought it, it was perfectly fine, tight enough to hold the mag upside-down with a few shakes. Now, just holding it upside-down, the mag slips and slides its way out by gravity.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The following email to Blackhawk explains the problems. Note that the following link is for a double stack version - could not find the single stack which mine is.
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Double-Mag-Case-Double-Stack,1369,82.htm

I cannot recommend this product.

BTW - this was sent to them back in mid August. They acknowledged receipt and said somebody would be in touch with me. It hasn't happened yet.

Yata hey

After waiting for almost a yearafter I first heard of your new pending double mag case, I heard that they were now available. I ordered product #410510PBK with the intended use for two, single stack, eight round, .45 ACP mags. Ireceived it yesterday and what a major disappointment!

Areas of concern:

1 - mag case exposes entirely too much of the magazine, over an inch more than the individual mag cases, almost 50% of the mag exposed. Note thatan interior ridge prevents the mag fromgoing all the way down

2 - Magazines sit at two different heights when inserted with ammo facing the same way in each - interior ridge again.

3- The attachment system is poorly designed and does not function well at all.

a - Belt slide - a 1 1/2" double leather belt could not be threaded through the slots! A friend's belt did barely make it but could not be moved beyond the first 1/2"

b - Clip-on attachment - my 1 1/2" double leather belt caused the "tongue" to stand off at an angle so far as to barely engage the bottom hook to the belt. You cannot slide the belt upas there is no offset/space for the belt at the top of the tongue - attempting to do so only forces the tongue out at an even greater angle.

Please note that a half dozen friends have looked at my new Blackhawk double mag case and all independently expressed complete dismay - declaring it completely unusable.The only belt that I see functioning well with this mag case is a light duty instructor's belt.

I think that in trying to make a mag case do all things, you have compromised too much,resulting in a product not up Blackhawk's usual quality.
I can say that I am more than satisfied with numerous other Blackhawk products that I have purchased but this product will be returned to my dealer Monday morning with a full explanation.

Please redesign this product and come out with an improved version addressing the above issues and update your web-site to show specifications.

Respectfull submitted,
Xyyy Xyyyy
address Richmond, Va.
yyy-yyy-yyy home phone

yyy-yyy-yyyy cell#, day time

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

bbvk05 wrote:
I used to like the SERPA, then experience taught me that it is a very flawed design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McE1zyDiEMQ
Thought that this had been put to rest a long time ago. This has almost obtained status as a bona fide urban legend.

Serpas are widely used and accepted with an extremely good performance record.
I personally own three - they constitute my daily carry holster of choice for both OC & CC. SOCOM just decided to use them.

I only know of one anecdotal story (not be confirmed with witnesses) of a "pebble" jam - my 1911 will jamb if it gets a stone in it!

In any event Blackhawk made a change to their holsters a long time ago just because of the rumors.

The few courses that disallow them, did so not because of any actual, first hand problems, but because of the rumors.

Still don't like their double mag case though. :?

Yata hey

Dreamer

imported post

I've been using this Blackhawk CQC double-stack single mag carrier for about 2 weeks, and I really like it. The spring is tight enough to hold a fully-loaded Para Ord 14rd mag securely (you can't even shake it out if you hold it upside down), the belt clip is easy to put on and take off my belt but is VERY secure, and it looks good. It covers about 3.4 of the magazine, and doesn't allow my mag to wiggle,wobble,or move at all, but drawing the magazine is easy and smooth.

Maybe the double Mag carrier is a bad design, but the single mag carrier is a really fine bit of kit, IMO...

Anyway, I ordered 2 of these in Coyote Tan from Optics Planet, and they arrived yesterday. They look great on my belt with the tan Serpa, and I'm VERY happy.

So I've got this black one (Blackhawk part #410600PBK) and I don't really need it anymore. I've only had it two weeks, and have worn it about a dozen times. It's in nearly-new condition, and I have the original packaging.

The first $15 takes it. I'll cover shipping.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

I love the single mag cases too. I have 2 in black carbon fiber and 2 in coyote tan for .45 ACP and they are great - everything I could want in a single mag case except a belt slide.

Unfortunately my pleasure at finding that they were now making just what I wanted in a double mag case turn into a HUGE disappointment. It simply did not work right in any respect.

Yata hey

Dreamer

imported post

Grapeshot,

Blackhawk makes a carrier that you can put two of your single carriers on to make a double mag rig. (you can get it with a paddle or belt slide)

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/CQC-Dual-Rail-Accessory-Belt-Loop,330,82.htm

I think that perhaps the factory-designed double mag carriers are a COMPLETELY different design than the single mag units, and perhaps if you took two of your single carriers, and mounted them on this 2-up adapter, you might be happier...

I'm just sayin'...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Grapeshot,

Blackhawk makes a carrier that you can put two of your single carriers on to make a double mag rig. (you can get it with a paddle or belt slide)

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/CQC-Dual-Rail-Accessory-Belt-Loop,330,82.htm

I think that perhaps the factory-designed double mag carriers are a COMPLETELY different design than the single mag units, and perhaps if you took two of your single carriers, and mounted them on this 2-up adapter, you might be happier...

I'm just sayin'...
I'm familiar with that particular accessory. Unfortunately it projects out from the belt considerably too far me.

Would work fine on a duty/bat belt for uniformed officer - it does work with a single mag case and flashlight too.

Yata hey

ProtectedByGlock

imported post

Be careful with Blackhawk mag carriers, the .45 double stack for glocks will not fit, even though thats what mag they are made for.... Make sure that you take a loaded mag to your local gun store to make sure that your mag fits..........G30

" I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 "

Regular_Joe

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
I've been using this Blackhawk CQC double-stack single mag carrier for about 2 weeks, and I really like it. The spring is tight enough to hold a fully-loaded Para Ord 14rd mag securely (you can't even shake it out if you hold it upside down), the belt clip is easy to put on and take off my belt but is VERY secure, and it looks good. It covers about 3.4 of the magazine, and doesn't allow my mag to wiggle,wobble,or move at all, but drawing the magazine is easy and smooth.

Maybe the double Mag carrier is a bad design, but the single mag carrier is a really fine bit of kit, IMO...

Anyway, I ordered 2 of these in Coyote Tan from Optics Planet, and they arrived yesterday. They look great on my belt with the tan Serpa, and I'm VERY happy.

So I've got this black one (Blackhawk part #410600PBK) and I don't really need it anymore. I've only had it two weeks, and have worn it about a dozen times. It's in nearly-new condition, and I have the original packaging.

The first $15 takes it. I'll cover shipping.
9mm or .45ACP?

Regular_Joe

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
RegularJoe,

What pistol/mag do you have?

Blackhawk says it will fit 9mm and .40cal double stacks, but this carrier fit my ParaOrdnance double stack .45acp perfectly....

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Double-Stack-Mag-Case-Matte-Finish,1368,82.htm

Part number: 410600PBK

Matte black finish (not the spiffy "carbon fiber finish").

Near mint condition--only carried for about 2 weeks.
Thanks for the pm - I miss the forum's e-mail notification feature!

I have an M&P 9mm. Checking now to see if it's a fit...

Regular_Joe

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
Regular_Joe wrote:
snip.... I miss the forum's e-mail notification feature!
PM feature is malfunctioning - it should be back up soon.

Yata hey

Looks like it is working again - folks may need to Unwatch/Watch a thread to start receiving notices...

> Subject: New Reply to Blackhawk Serpa Mag carriers - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum
> From: jpierce@speedscape.com
> Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 20:26:17 -0500
>
>
> Grapeshot has posted a reply to topic "Blackhawk Serpa Mag carriers". There might be other replies however you will not receive separate notifications for them.
>
> http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=33248&forum_id=62&jump_to=578539#p578539
>

zack991

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
bbvk05 wrote:
I used to like the SERPA, then experience taught me that it is a very flawed design.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McE1zyDiEMQ
Thought that this had been put to rest a long time ago. This has almost obtained status as a bona fide urban legend.

Serpas are widely used and accepted with an extremely good performance record.
I personally own three - they constitute my daily carry holster of choice for both OC & CC. SOCOM just decided to use them.

I only know of one anecdotal story (not be confirmed with witnesses) of a "pebble" jam - my 1911 will jamb if it gets a stone in it!

In any event Blackhawk made a change to their holsters a long time ago just because of the rumors.

The few courses that disallow them, did so not because of any actual, first hand problems, but because of the rumors.

Still don't like their double mag case though. :?

Yata hey
100% agree

I had gotten into a tussle with an "individual" at work one night (I do Armed Guard work), and we ended up rolling in the mud and in a pebble ridden ground. I was forced to draw on him and get him under control. I had zero problems drawing out of it and re inserting it. The dirt and pebbles where all in the holster itself. It was scratched to hell and had plenty of gunk in it, yet I still had ZERO problems drawing my pistol. To say that there is a non factual problem is irresponsible to those who use and depend on them.Yet this rumor refuses to die even though there are so many reports to the contrary to include my own.

As gun owners we have the responsibility to put 100% accurate facts out there so people can get a quality product that they can trust their life to. It makes me down right angry that people are doing this to fellow gun owners, do not let me catch anyone bsing a fellow gun owner on less then honest facts and personal experience. Because I WILL give you one hell of a earful of every colorful word in the book.

I have used them for years and I have never, ever had a safety issue with them PERIOD. New gun owners are depending on older experienced gun owners for advice so they DO NOT risk their lives with garbage products or for a person to lie to them about GOOD quality products. Such as Blackhawk products because you have a biased opine on them or internet rumor bs. If you have facts on the matter then post them not some internet rumor.

I am not a fan of glocks personally for example, but I refuse to lie to a person or show them made up facts about their products. I will give them all the info and website they need to DECIDE for themselves, if there was a true problem with those weapons that will risk their life or their family's lives I would tell them. You can be damn sure I will let them know and SHOW independent research proving this point so they DO NOT get killed or hurt using a product. I truly hope others correct these lies and so these new owner do not die because of some bias or stupidity. Do not play with peoples lives because people want to believe some youtube video for example over facts.

Rant over.
p.s. sorry for poor grammar.