• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How old must you be to own and OC a handgun in Arizona?

Crazytexan182

imported post

Everything I read seems very unclear. It seems like there are very few if any people who will sell a handgun to some one 18 or over but under 21, yet it also seems like it is legal for that person to own a handgun. Can anyone clear this up for me? I just turned 18 and I hope to start OCing soon.

Grimes

imported post

Yes, it is legal for a person over 18 but under 21 to buy a handgun from a private seller. Its up to the seller if they decide to sell it to you though. Make sure you tell them beforehand that you are "fill in age" and if they would still like to go through with the sale. If they decide to, do not show up looking like a "gangster".

Also before you OC for the first time, know the laws and the 1000 foot school zones around the area.

p.s. welcome to the site :)

GF

imported post

Lol. If you are lucky, you can catch someone selling something good before they are flagged, but I think Backpage is a good one to use.

Grimes

imported post

Code:
Please stop with the falseschool zone propaganda. Seriously.

:?

well whats the thing on it, i've always heard that you cannot bring it within 1000 feet of a school (unless you have a CCW and its concealed)

r6-rider

imported post

Grimes wrote:
Code:
Please stop with the falseschool zone propaganda. Seriously.

:?

well whats the thing on it, i've always heard that you cannot bring it within 1000 feet of a school (unless you have a CCW and its concealed)
nah, thats only for on school grounds. 1000 ft rule doesnt apply in AZ.

isnt it, only a federal marshal can uphold that law within a state? either way iv never worried about it and have never had a problem

Grimes

imported post

well that changes things for me, thanks. i'll do some of my own research just to be on the safe side :) thanks guys

Grimes

imported post

I couldn't find anything mentioning the 1000 foot rule in the Statutes. I know it's a Federal Law but shouldn't it be mentioned in the AZ Statutes :?

r6-rider

imported post

if it doesnt say you cant... you can

and really i doubt anyone cares that much. i mean you might get that one cop who wants to be a dick but i dont worry too much about it

TOF

imported post

Grimes wrote:
I couldn't find anything mentioning the 1000 foot rule in the Statutes. I know it's a Federal Law but shouldn't it be mentioned in the AZ Statutes :?

How about you doing a little searching and show us where Federal Law establishes the 1000 ft. limit.

I don't believe you can find it.

protector84

imported post

Like I said, if you don't know anything about it, then don't keep spreading it. Most of us here at this board expect people to back up their claims with facts. That is why it is really annoying why you and others keep talking about the 1,000 foot school zone rule when not one person can even prove the law applies. I'm not interested in what someone "heard," I'm interested in facts.

kenpoprofessor

imported post

protector84 wrote:
Like I said, if you don't know anything about it, then don't keep spreading it. Most of us here at this board expect people to back up their claims with facts. That is why it is really annoying why you and others keep talking about the 1,000 foot school zone rule when not one person can even prove the law applies. I'm not interested in what someone "heard," I'm interested in facts.
Took me less than 30 seconds. In fact, it took me longer to write this post.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

TOF

imported post

Any of us could find it but if you are going to quote what you heard or read as fact you should do the finding and proving, which you have now done.