• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

traveling through maryland

nick1207

imported post

I live in kentucky and i am taking a trip to PA during halloween weekend.. I need to know when traveling through maryland with my handgun and rifle, what is the law on how to carry my guns through mayrland? iil be traveling in my car..

Dreamer

imported post

1) the MUST NOT be loaded. This means if they have magazines, the mags must NOT be in the gun, and there can not be a round in the chamber.

2) They MUST NOT be accessible by anyone in the passenger area of the car. If your vehicle has a trunk, lock them in there.

3) they must secured in a locked container. They can't be loose in the trunk. Get some hard-cases for your guns with locks on them.

Or you could take an alternate route through VA and WV to get to PA, depending on the part of PA you are going to...

Also, if you have a CC permit, it IS NOT recognized by MD. They don't recognize any other state's permits for concealed carry, and they don't allow open carry.

Just remember, IANAL, and my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. (But I DO travel from NC to MD frequently, and so I've researched this pretty thoroughly.)

Call the MD AG for the official scoop, like I did. See this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum28/33141.html

Novus Collectus

imported post

You can transport by fed law or MD law. As per fed law you can have them in the trunk loose as long as they are unloaded.

For MD law, there is no law about transport of long guns or restrictions on transport, but there is a hunting statute that says they must be unloaded. They do not have to be cased or innacessible under MD law.
For handguns it has to be in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster and unloaded and can only be transported to one of the approved locations or purposes listed in the statute. If you are going to an informal target practice in PA and then returning from it, then that should be good enough for the MD statute as long as the handgun itself is unloaded and in an enclosed case or an enclosed holster.

Novus Collectus

imported post

MD has no ammunition restrictions whatsoever unless you count explosive ordinance over a certain size which requires a federal tax stamp anyway.

Dreamer

imported post

You're right about the "locked container" bit. I went back and read the statutes, and it doesn't say it has to be in a locked container, just inaccessible by anyone in the passenger compartment, which for most people means putting it in the trunk. A locked glovebox is a No-Go in MD...

However, I have a Chevy HHR, which has no separate trunk. The interior is more like th einside of a van or station wagon. And THAT was where I got the "in a locked container" idea. The MD AG office told me that because my vehicle has no trunk, that I'd need to put in in a locked container, to ensure that it was "inaccessible".

Sorry for the confusion...

But really, if I didn't have family in MD, I would just as happily avoid that state altogether, and just travel to VA, WV and PA--all of which have reciprocity with NC (where I reside) and all of which have reasonable transport, OC and CC laws.

Novus Collectus

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
You're right about the "locked container" bit. I went back and read the statutes, and it doesn't say it has to be in a locked container, just inaccessible by anyone in the passenger compartment, which for most people means putting it in the trunk. A locked glovebox is a No-Go in MD...

However, I have a Chevy HHR, which has no separate trunk. The interior is more like th einside of a van or station wagon. And THAT was where I got the "in a locked container" idea. The MD AG office told me that because my vehicle has no trunk, that I'd need to put in in a locked container, to ensure that it was "inaccessible".

Sorry for the confusion...

But really, if I didn't have family in MD, I would just as happily avoid that state altogether, and just travel to VA, WV and PA--all of which have reciprocity with NC (where I reside) and all of which have reasonable transport, OC and CC laws.
For important clarification, when transporting by JUST fed law, the gun and ammo has to be innaccessible for handguns when travelling through MD. BUT when going by MD law there is no "innaccessible" mention in MD statutes whatsoever for either handguns or long guns and the exact opposite is even alluded to for handguns when it says people can carry (on the person) an enclosed holstered handgun when going to the informal target practice or other listed activity/location.
The AG was referencing fed law for when travelling interstate, but if you ask them about intrastate transport or transport when leaving MD their answer will be entirely different if you speak with assistant AG Mark Bowen.

nick1207

imported post

on the way back toKY from PA i went through ohio.. 30miles longer but well worth it..

TFred

imported post

Novus Collectus wrote:
MD has no ammunition restrictions whatsoever unless you count explosive ordinance over a certain size which requires a federal tax stamp anyway.
Any issue with bringing a pistol magazine and a few cartridges into the state? No gun. I'm meeting my dad in Md for a New Year's lunch, and I want to see if my UpLULA will load his .380 magazine, before he buys one for himself.

TFred