• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry in Drive Thru

wheelgunz

imported post

All right this is my first post so bear with me.

Im a 21 year old college student who works part time at a local carry out. As the winter time approaches we only have one person working the night shift(5-10) and closing the store.

The store also deals in firearms and ammo and we were broken into over labor day weekend and had several guns stolen.

I would like to open carry. I cleared it with the owners and they have no problem with it. Am I good to go or is there anything else I need to be aware of?

NightOwl

imported post

If you included your state that would help, or you could post this in your state forums. Laws and such vary state to state, so without you being more specific you could wind up with misinformation.

okboomer

imported post

wheelgunz wrote:
All right this is my first post so bear with me.

Im a 21 year old college student who works part time at a local carry out. As the winter time approaches we only have one person working the night shift(5-10) and closing the store.

The store also deals in firearms and ammo and we were broken into over labor day weekend and had several guns stolen.

I would like to open carry. I cleared it with the owners and they have no problem with it. Am I good to go or is there anything else I need to be aware of?
A local carry out as in a liquer store? The store also deals in firearms & ammo? Something doesn't make sense here.

wheelgunz

imported post

First of all everything is closed container. ORC states that as long as it is closed container then the sale, trade, or purchasingof unloaded firemarms is not prohibited. (2923.12.1) And they donthave a Dliquor license(for consumption @ the location) but rather a C liquor license (for sale but must be consumed elsewhere). Owners also have a FFL license and therefore are considered an exhibitor, trader, seller, or purchaser.

D_Weezy

imported post

Yes you can carry there. Why would you think that you couldn't? They don't have a license for consumption in the building, so it is ok. They wouldn't have been granted licenses for alcohol and weapons on the same premises if it were a problem. What I really want to know is, where the heck is this store at?;)

fully_armed_biker

imported post

D_Weezy wrote:
Yes you can carry there. Why would you think that you couldn't? They don't have a license for consumption in the building, so it is ok. They wouldn't have been granted licenses for alcohol and weapons on the same premises if it were a problem. What I really want to know is, where the heck is this store at?;)
Really! I'd drive way out of my way to be able to go through a drive through and say..."I'll take a case of Michelob Ultra,a case of Corona Light, ...and give mea couple boxes each of .45ACP and .357 for the range :D!!!"

Wangmuf

imported post

I dunno how Ohio is, but my understanding of Va is that, as long as my employer explicitly tells me I can, I can CC without a permit at his business. IDK if this is true, but I did it for 4 years closing the 2PM-10PM shift at a gas station that didn't have a cash register. My shirt pocket had anywhere from $55 at the start of the shift in small bill "change" to $250+ anywhere in the shift, and my boss permitted me to carry a handgun concealed, with a "permission slip" from him written out, tucked away in a desk drawer in the office, when I pointed out to him that I was "responsible for all monies in my control" during the shift, and at any time during the shift I may be in possession of a weeks wages or more.

We were never robbed during the time I was employed there, but I did, on 2 occasions, have to rely on my handgun to keep me safe from "customers" around closing time.

While I don't condone or endorse unlawful behavior, I'd say that if you feel that your life may at some point be in danger at your current job, and you can't find employment somewhere else, take WHATEVER means you feel are necessary to guarantee your drawing of unassisted breath tomorrow, tonight.

I'd rather be judged by 12 for defending my life than carried by 6 for not doing it. Spending 10-15yrs in prison is much better than dying and having your killers go unpunished.

D_Weezy

imported post

fully_armed_biker wrote:
D_Weezy wrote:
Really! I'd drive way out of my way to be able to go through a drive through and say..."I'll take a case of Michelob Ultra,a case of Corona Light, ...and give mea couple boxes each of .45ACP and .357 for the range :D!!!"
Just what I was thinking.:D

Broondog

imported post

there is a shop like that here in MO called One Stop Boat & Guns. half of the building is your typical convenience store and the other half is, you guessed it, boats and guns and ammo.

talk about Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms! ;)

anyway, here in MO a property/business owner can carry as he/she sees fit on said property with no permit/license needed. also a designee/guest of said owner may also carry with with the owners permission. it's like having the proverbial shotgun behind the bar.

but as always, check your local laws as they may vary.

Gator5713

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I believe there are a grand total of 2 stores in Texas that sell both liquor and guns in the same establishment. One of them in in Shulenburg, the other, I don't remember at the moment...

As for carrying there.... Need to ask some Ohio folks! Can't really help you there, but I would imagine with the owners permission I don't see how it would be a problem!