• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

VA CHP in place of NICS check?

SaltH2OHokie

imported post

n4mgr wrote:
I'm curious if a VA CHP is usable to purchase a handgun?
As a form of ID, yes; as a substitute for a background check, no.

(So far as I know...and I'm just a career college student who has bought a few guns.)

nova

imported post

Nope, unlike some other states that allow you to skip the NICS check if you have a carry permit, VA doesn't unfortunately.

vbnative73

imported post

SaltH2OHokie wrote:
n4mgr wrote:
As a form of ID, yes; as a substitute for a background check, no.

(So far as I know...and I'm just a career college student who has bought a few guns.)

I used my Driver License and CHP to buy my glock at Lynnhaven A&P.

Mt Vernon .40

imported post

Technically, a CHP may be used as the required secondary form of ID.

The primary (government-issued) ID must include a photo.

See information on ID and residency requirements at this VSP info page. (scroll about halfway down the page)

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Chaingun81 wrote:
nova wrote:
Nope, unlike some other states that allow you to skip the NICS check if you have a carry permit, VA doesn't unfortunately.
Any examples?
Here is the list of states whose CHP holders are exempt from NICS checks when purchasing or otherwise receiving a firearm from an FFL.

Marco

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
nova wrote:
Any examples?
Here is the list of states whose CHP holders are exempt from NICS checks when purchasing or otherwise receiving a firearm from an FFL.
That list is incorrect.

I know NV no longer accepts a CCW/CHP as an alterative to a NICS check.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=4061

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Sam_G21 wrote:
Utah is on that list. I wonder if a non resident UTAH can be used in lieu of NICS in Va?
No. An exemptpermit only exempts the permittee from the background check requirement within the state in which the permit was issued.18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(3) provides that the NICS background check requirement "shall not apply to a firearm transfer between a licensee and another person if--
(A)(i) such other person has presented to the licensee a permit that--
(I) allows such other person to possess or acquire a firearm; and
(II) was issued not more than 5 years earlier by the State in which the transfer is to take place; and
(ii) the law of the State provides that such a permit is to be issued only after an authorized government official has verified that the information available to such official does not indicate that possession of a firearm by such other person would be in violation of law[.]"

JimMullinsWVCDL

State Researcher
imported post

Agent19 wrote:
WVCDL wrote:
Chaingun81 wrote:
nova wrote:
Any examples?
That list is incorrect.

I know NV no longer [ac]cepts a CCW/CHP as an alterative to a NICS check.
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=4061
The list I linked above is correct, accurately reflecting that Nevada permits do not qualify.

Marco

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
The list I linked above is correct, accurately reflecting that Nevada permits do not qualify.
You are correct, I looked at the wrong line.:banghead:
Thanks for the corrections.

TFred

imported post

WVCDL wrote:
Sam_G21 wrote:
Utah is on that list. I wonder if a non resident UTAH can be used in lieu of NICS in Va?
No. An exemptpermit only exempts the permittee from the background check requirement within the state in which the permit was issued.http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/usc.cgi?ACTION=RETRIEVE&FILE=$$xa$$busc18.wais&start=1498909&SIZE=106824&TYPE=TEXT]18 U.S.C. § 922(t)(3)[/b] provides that the NICS background check requirement "shall not apply to a firearm transfer between a licensee and another person if--
(A)(i) such other person has presented to the licensee a permit that--
(I) allows such other person to possess or acquire a firearm; and
(II) was issued not more than 5 years earlier by the State in which the transfer is to take place; and
(ii) the law of the State provides that such a permit is to be issued only after an authorized government official has verified that the information available to such official does not indicate that possession of a firearm by such other person would be in violation of law[.]"
Wow that is one ugly link... leave it to the Government I guess... I tried to figure out how to get this BB software to handle it but I could not... so I punted, and made a tinyurl for you:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ykjzjh6

TFred

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

n4mgr wrote:
No - Va law allows persons who cannot possess a firearm under federal law to conceal handguns in virginia - mainly, due to refusal of virginia to DQ CHP applicants for misdemeanor crimes of domestic violence.