• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you want to open carry?

GIdeon_70

imported post

I plan to write all of Florida's reps, and try to get a dialog going, so I would like to hear from you first, about why you would prefer to carry openly.

hammer6

imported post

umm- it's much more comfortable to open carry. i bought a ruger lcp for the fact that its pretty much impossible to carry my XD40 on a daily basis with the things that i do, and with the clothes i wear. if i were allowed to open carry, there wouldn't be a problem.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

GIdeon_70 wrote:

I plan to write all of Florida's reps, and try to get a dialog going, so I would like to hear from you first, about why you would prefer to carry openly.
Excellent question. For an excellent purpose.

fridaddy

imported post

In the summer when its shorts and t shirts in FL Concealed means under my shirt sweating on the gun and a peice of metal pressed against my skin.

The Second amendment says I have a right to bear arms.

It is a lot easier to get too if I need it.

The people who use guns the most carry theirs openly, I should be allowed to as well. The people who work for me carry openly, but I can't?

It prevents issues when I do carry concealed like printing or inadvertent showing, from resulting in criminal charges for open carry or brandishing.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

I am very cautious about open carry, not because I lack confidence in myself, but because I lack confidence in others. In my profession there are those who handle weapons all of the time and there are those who simply carry it around because they have to or "just in case." These same people are the ones who shoot themselves with M9 Berettas because they don't know how to clear the weapon properly or don't practice with it. The same people who shoot each other in the throat because they didn't clear their weapon prior to breaking the weapon down for cleaning. The same people who half c0ck a machine gun so the sear wears down and causes a runaway gun or discharges when someone attempts to clear the gun. Ever had a .308 round go off in your face in a 5x5x6 cement guard tower after you lift the feed tray to clear the weapon? It ain't cool. If I can't trust fellow US military with their weapons, why should I trust the civilian populace with their's? I'm not worried so much about crime, I'm worried about that idiot who bought his weapon for protection or to look cool and never practicing with it or learning anything about how it works.

With that said, I'm for open carry because the law is not meant to make me feel safer about the possible stupidity of others, but to protect my inherent rights, and their's even if I'm not comfortable around them. The government has no business telling me that I can not defend myself, nor can it tell me how I can defend myself. My method of self defense should be left to me to decide what I feel comfortable with. If I'd rathernot broadcast thatI'm carrying, I should be able to conceal, if I want to broadcast that I'm carrying as a deterrent from having to even draw the weapon, I should be able to. Just because you don't like something I do doesn't give you the right to tell me I can't do it, period.

Japle

imported post

Open carry without a license is, without a doubt, consistent with the US Constitiution.

It's not so much that I want to open carry, I want my right to open carry recognized by state and federal law.

GIdeon_70

imported post

Congress is debating (for three hours) the health care bill soon, and everyone needs to worry. The bill has provisions to identify "Dangerous lifestyles and activities," and I can assure you that owning a firearm will be one of them. It will not be an issue of open vs. concealed carry, it will be, "Do I have enough money to afford the increase in insurance premiums that go long with owning a firearm."

Call your congressman and senator now, before it's too late.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
ABNinfantryman wrote:
If I can't trust fellow US military with their weapons, why should I trust the civilian populace with their's?
You shouldn't trust the civilian populace with their weapons. However, that is no reason to infringe upon their rights to self defense by requiring them to pass a training course or pay for a permit. It is one of the risks of freedom that we must accept in order to maintain that freedom.

Heck, in Iraq I had to load a Chief Petty Officer's (E-7) M9 magazines for him because he kept trying to put the rounds in backwards, but that in no way negates his right to self defense should he choose to arm himself as a civilian.
Try reading the rest of the post before responding.

ABNinfantryman

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
ABNinfantryman wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
You shouldn't trust the civilian populace with their weapons. However, that is no reason to infringe upon their rights to self defense by requiring them to pass a training course or pay for a permit. It is one of the risks of freedom that we must accept in order to maintain that freedom.

Heck, in Iraq I had to load a Chief Petty Officer's (E-7) M9 magazines for him because he kept trying to put the rounds in backwards, but that in no way negates his right to self defense should he choose to arm himself as a civilian.
Try reading the rest of the post before responding.
I did.

Where did I say they should pass a training course or pay for a permit in this:
With that said, I'm for open carry because the law is not meant to make me feel safer about the possible stupidity of others, but to protect my inherent rights, and their's even if I'm not comfortable around them. The government has no business telling me that I can not defend myself, nor can it tell me how I can defend myself. My method of self defense should be left to me to decide what I feel comfortable with. If I'd rathernot broadcast thatI'm carrying, I should be able to conceal, if I want to broadcast that I'm carrying as a deterrent from having to even draw the weapon, I should be able to. Just because you don't like something I do doesn't give you the right to tell me I can't do it, period.
I didn't, so at what point did you read the rest of the post? Jeez, Navy can't shoot and can't read either. :lol:

MackTheKnife

imported post

ABNinfantryman wrote:
I am very cautious about open carry, not because I lack confidence in myself, but because I lack confidence in others. In my profession there are those who handle weapons all of the time and there are those who simply carry it around because they have to or "just in case." These same people are the ones who shoot themselves with M9 Berettas because they don't know how to clear the weapon properly or don't practice with it. The same people who shoot each other in the throat because they didn't clear their weapon prior to breaking the weapon down for cleaning. The same people who half c0ck a machine gun so the sear wears down and causes a runaway gun or discharges when someone attempts to clear the gun. Ever had a .308 round go off in your face in a 5x5x6 cement guard tower after you lift the feed tray to clear the weapon? It ain't cool. If I can't trust fellow US military with their weapons, why should I trust the civilian populace with their's? I'm not worried so much about crime, I'm worried about that idiot who bought his weapon for protection or to look cool and never practicing with it or learning anything about how it works.

I don't understand your mixing stories about Crew-Served Weapons and long guns in the same breath as OC. It's irrelevant. If you worry abouteveryone carrying, OC or CC, you'll drive yourself crazy. The bottom line is that good old 2nd Amemndment. There are no adjectives or modifiers in the language about how you bear arms. It just says you have the right to, period. And when criminals see people OC'ing, they tend to go somewhere else- quick, fast, and in a hurry.

MackTheKnife

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
ABNinfantryman wrote:
If I can't trust fellow US military with their weapons, why should I trust the civilian populace with their's?

Are you speaking tongue-in-cheek or are you serious about not trusting the civilian populace with their weapons? From the rest of your post, it seems you're serious. What empirical evidence do you have to support this sweeping generalization? A risk of freedom to maintain that freedom? That is a nonsequitir as well as nonsensical. The forefathers didn't seem to have this distrust, as you do, when they wrote the Constitution.

MackTheKnife

imported post

"You shouldn't trust the civilian populace with their weapons" was the first statement in your post. What did I misunderstand your other posts notwithstanding?

Hollowpoint38

A sandwich made of knuckles, Hoover, Alabama
imported post

Everyone needs to able to Open Carry if allowed to own a gun. In the summer months it is near impossible to conceal carry. Not everyone likes to wear an untucked shirt or a windbreaker jacket in the summer so they can be protected. I like to wear a collared shirt tucked in. Because of the way I dress, I should still be allowed to protect myself and my family. The "it's my right" argument is not always needed. How about, "I like to be protected and comfortable at the same time".

"When seconds count, the police are only minutes away"

JeepSeller

imported post

I don't disagree with you Hollowpoint, certainly, I wish Florida was indeed an open carry state. I, honestly, just prefer concealed carry for my own reasons, but, I feel that we should have the choice, and, I can't deny that being able to open carry from time to time would beconvenient under some circumstances even for me. There are petitions, letters to our capitol, etc. going on, and, it appears that the movement is gaining a following. Give it time, Florida will get there.

I did want to point out though, that it is possible to conceal carry comfortably, even in the sandy steam bath of Florida.

I wear a FULL SIZED Beretta 96D. (exactly the same as the more familiar 92FS 9mm we're all familiar with, only chambered in .40SW) I wear it OWB under nothing more thana t-shirtand I don't worry about printing. I even have a newly aquired used tuckable IWB for those less casual Polo dress days. A jacket is not required if done right. By done right, that means a rock solid top notch holster AND gun belt to pull everything in tight to the body and keep it there. Finally, a longer cut, t-shirt, one size too big in darker colors, "busy" prints even better.

I forget the darn thing is there during the day. Not uncomfortable at all. MY tuckable IWB gets a little sweaty and hot, so, I stick with my more comfy OWB.

Granted, since you prefer the tucked in look, you're stuck with IWB tuckable holsters, but, I've found that a light cotton undeshirt tucks in behind the IWB holster and it helsp considerably with sweat and heat compared to skin on leather.

Or, you could go pocket carry like my buddy does. I've seen that guy on the beach nothing but gym shorts and flipflops and his Bersa Thunder .380 in his Desantispocket holsterstanding guard.You can't get any cooler in the heat thatthat! :lol:(just remember to toss the pocket rig in the car before jumping in the water....I'd imagine that salt water wouldn't get along well with most metal guns. :what:)

marrandy

imported post

GIdeon_70 wrote:

I want the 'option' to open carry.

The constitution is very clear.

"the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed"

There are NO restrictions.

So no 'Open Carry' is a restriction of my rights.

Having to buy a licence is a restriction of my rights.

yada...yada...yada...